Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
    Agreed.

...and one thing I will say in all this discussion about our "window of opportunity" is that of all the options, Millsap does seem the most realistic. Cousins is a screwloose and I really don't think our offence needs another ball dominant player especially when our guards don't really seem in sync with playing well with one, it's one or the other. Paul George is probably the dream scenario but frankly between Bird's renowned stubbornness and the pleothra of other suitors with likely better assets to offer it's far more pipe dream than reality and waiting for Paul to become a FA we just have the time for...

That leaves Paul, he's a guy who will make it incredibly hard to double Lowry and DeRozan because you have to guard him too, he's a great decision maker who's going to get other teammates involved and he can be that 3rd guy you can count on to put another 15-20pts when needed. He is also who I don't think in a head to head match up with the Cavs is the guy to put us over the top but he puts us right there under their nose...that if there is a nagging injury or something in a series to any of their Big 3 we're close enough we just might be able to capitalize and break through and of course if there is a real injury (like Kyrie and Love have histories of, not wishing it on them) well now we have green light and what more can a franchise ask for than the opportunity to compete for a title?!??

My only concern is not leaving ourselves too lean to make the deal happen to begin with, I really wish there was a way to send both Sully and Pat instead of Ross because we're going to need that shooting to try and keep up with CLE.
    That is IF Ross can contribute consistently in the Playoffs, he hasn't shown he can thus far.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
      That is IF Ross can contribute consistently in the Playoffs, he hasn't shown he can thus far.
      Oh for sure but I just think the Playoffs was an amplified version of the problem we've had all along with Ross. He was not consistent and many nights was a complete no show hence why we all bitched when he first got that extension. I can only based on what I've seen SO FAR of Ross this season and seriously seems like a changed guy out there. More relaxed, not rushing up shots, playing more within himself and it's finally starting to pay off some dividends. I think he's learning to be more consistent and shaking this stigma like he hasn't found his role.

I think he's getting it and especially when he would have less pressure to produce because of course if he were still here and Millsap was here, we now already have our guaranteed 3rd scorer. The media and franchise will more expectation for Paul to be that guy but everything Ross does will be gravy and I think he should be able to feel that and play freer but that could just be my overanalyzation.

Comment

• If jvs future is anything like Monroe/kanter then I'd rather get some value back in trade asap.
        No one really talks about Dwight. The money/luxury tax gets crazy but defensively to challenge lebron I think Dwight/Millsap is an upgrade. Long term jv is better but right now Howard is screening, rebounding and rim protecting as well and better than jv. I think Howard gives us a physical toughness like biz that we'd need vs cavs too. Somebody has to physically challenge lebron.
        There's also some complications around matching roster spots (e.g. trading 4 players for millsap) and that ATL needs to get quality players, under contract. I think ATL would see some value in shedding 8m$ and 8 yrs age off Howard for jv. Jv also makes enough money that we don't have to trade additional small money players with multiple yrs left on contract.

Dwight/Millsap/korver
        For jv/Ross/pat (or cory)

That's a pretty fair trade imo.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
          If jvs future is anything like Monroe/kanter then I'd rather get some value back in trade asap.
          No one really talks about Dwight. The money/luxury tax gets crazy but defensively to challenge lebron I think Dwight/Millsap is an upgrade. Long term jv is better but right now Howard is screening, rebounding and rim protecting as well and better than jv. I think Howard gives us a physical toughness like biz that we'd need vs cavs too. Somebody has to physically challenge lebron.
          There's also some complications around matching roster spots (e.g. trading 4 players for millsap) and that ATL needs to get quality players, under contract. I think ATL would see some value in shedding 8m$ and 8 yrs age off Howard for jv. Jv also makes enough money that we don't have to trade additional small money players with multiple yrs left on contract.

Dwight/Millsap/korver
          For jv/Ross/pat (or cory)

That's a pretty fair trade imo.
          You start bringing in Dwight's name you can guarantee they will expect and command numerous picks whether that's actual fair value or not. But you're not getting big names like BOTH Millsap and Howard for that. Getting Millsap as a stand alone player that's on the verge of leaving is a much better place to negotiate from. I would not blur those lines and just leave Howard (who is actually a cancer) alone.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            The counter to this thinking is: LeBron James

We would be tying our title chances to the same window of LeBron. That's risky in of itself.
            Jeez, Axel. I rarely disagree with your posts, but I absolutely hate this type of thinking.

So basically, whenever a generational talent comes into the league, the other franchises should just pack it in for 15 years or so, or whenever it's clear he's in decline. And what happens if you just miss out on that next generational talent when LBJ declines. What if Giannis is that next generational talent? We wait another 15 years until Greek Freak declines? That's 30 years of Hinkiesque rebuilding, by design? I mean how exactly are you supposed to synchronize all these good (for you) and bad (for other teams) events happening that are mostly out of your control?

Comment

• Bah - dealing with LeBron is easy. Just put him in a crate (with air holes) and mail him to Abu Dhabi at the start of the playoffs

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                Bah - dealing with LeBron is easy. Just put him in a crate (with air holes) and mail him to Abu Dhabi at the start of the playoffs
                While you certainly don't want to bank on it, really, if one of Kyrie or Love got hurt or were struggling with an injury Millsap makes us a team that could smell blood and take them out.

Comment

• If you're reading this Steph....it's already too late.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                    If you're reading this Steph....it's already too late.

Maybe this picture is telling the future of the Raptors. Lowry and Carroll play on this team, Biyombo played on this team, maybe sometime down the line, Millsap and Curry will play for this team.

Comment

Maybe this picture is telling the future of the Raptors. Lowry and Carroll play on this team, Biyombo played on this team, maybe sometime down the line, Millsap and Curry will play for this team.
                      DeMar's just at the edge of the picture where Kyle is talking to...funny to think what a great fit Kyle, DD, DC, Sap and Biz could be yet all look pretty chill together right there.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        Except we have no idea when he'll slow down. There's literally no one like him in sport. Maybe next year he goes down to injury and is never the same. Maybe he plays exactly like this until he's 40.

I do think it is important to keep one eye on the future as well, and the team shouldn't be trading Powell, JV or DeMar, who will be part of that second wave after Lowry/Millsap decline.
                        Agree with the first part, not the 2nd. I think JV should be on the table if you can bring in a replacement as part of the deal or in a follow-up.

Comment

Or Lowry's kid will play on the team. Look at the focus in his eyes. Next generational talent. Trade everyone and tank for Lowry Jr in 2027.

Comment

• Millsap means less touches on offense for jv so he's basically only getting put backs. That's a waste of his best skills. Rebs and screens are just role player skills. There are other players that can do that and play defense.
                            If we are really keying in on the Lowry/Millsap window then we should get the best fit players around them. We're stuck with demarre and hopefully Millsap would elevate his game but jv has some value.
                            I have some hope that yak and siakam can be developed into useful 5s long term. Neither is gonna be trained into hibbert.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                              Millsap means less touches on offense for jv so he's basically only getting put backs. That's a waste of his best skills. Rebs and screens are just role player skills. There are other players that can do that and play defense.
                              If we are really keying in on the Lowry/Millsap window then we should get the best fit players around them. We're stuck with demarre and hopefully Millsap would elevate his game but jv has some value.
                              I have some hope that yak and siakam can be developed into useful 5s long term. Neither is gonna be trained into hibbert.
                              Trade him for the right price, you don't just throw him out the window because you're getting Millsap. Even then, having a guy who can score in the post and rebound at a high rate will be useful in the Playoffs. Millsap will definitely help cover up some of JV's deficiencies on defense.

Comment

Trade him for the right price, you don't just throw him out the window because you're getting Millsap. Even then, having a guy who can score in the post and rebound at a high rate will be useful in the Playoffs. Millsap will definitely help cover up some of JV's deficiencies on defense.
                                Yeah I think it would be stupid not to at least try the JV/PM pairing cause aside from Draymond Green, Millsap is probably the best frontcourt mate with JV. Also I think JV can step his game up in the playoffs. If it doesn't work out, trade him in the off season.

Comment

Working...
                                X