Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#FreeNorman

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • golden wrote: View Post
    Slightly below league average efficiency at just a hair above average USG. So, Powell performed like an average starting SG - which is pretty OK at this stage. Lowry's USG must have skyrocketed.
    Surprisingly, not really. 28% over that stretch. Though he did average 40 MPG.

    JV's went up a bit to 22%... It actually looks like most players just bumped up slightly and got more minutes.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

    Comment


    • DanH wrote: View Post
      Surprisingly, not really. 28% over that stretch. Though he did average 40 MPG.

      JV's went up a bit to 22%... It actually looks like most players just bumped up slightly and got more minutes.
      That's pretty interesting. Perhaps you could do an article on team ORTG and player ORTG/USG before and during DeMar's injury. It would give some insight into 2 areas: (1) Player's USG ceilings (i.e. where ORTG drops off rapidly), (2) How DeMar's ultra-high usage helps keep lesser scorers below their ceilings. It's been talked about how JV could be underutilized, but maybe his USG ceiling is where it is. Of course, there would be a lot of system/coaching noise in that analysis. Same with the other role players - whose ORTG dropped the most with the increased USG when DD went out? Who maintained good efficiency? And where is Lowry's USG ceiling?

      Comment


      • golden wrote: View Post
        That's pretty interesting. Perhaps you could do an article on team ORTG and player ORTG/USG before and during DeMar's injury. It would give some insight into 2 areas: (1) Player's USG ceilings (i.e. where ORTG drops off rapidly), (2) How DeMar's ultra-high usage helps keep lesser scorers below their ceilings. It's been talked about how JV could be underutilized, but maybe his USG ceiling is where it is. Of course, there would be a lot of system/coaching noise in that analysis. Same with the other role players - whose ORTG dropped the most with the increased USG when DD went out? Who maintained good efficiency? And where is Lowry's USG ceiling?
        I wouldn't say Demar is the reason JV is underutilized on offense, our entire game plan is the reason JV is ignored on offense. "next man up" means Lowry, then Powell, then Ross, then Carroll, then Joseph, then Van Vleet, then Drake, then Abbas. JV is firmly entrenched in "here's 3 post ups, 1 lob and a jump shot. the rest of this game will be spent screening and rebounding for us. Thanks bro"
        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

        Comment


        • DanH wrote: View Post
          I agree that JV's value is not confined to his screen setting.

          I disagree that we have enough of a sample to say with any confidence that BeBe would average the same screen assists - and more importantly, even if he did, it is less of a help to the offence, as he'd be doing it as a low usage option, so his only contribution would come from screen assists, while JV does so while also providing a medium-usage scoring option. It's the same thing - with BeBe on the floor, the guards have to carry a higher usage (which is bad) and as such there are more opportunities for screen assists - the bench opposition magnifies the efficiency/conversion rate, but the usage effect is there regardless.
          Nice spin but I said most of his value is in his rebounding bc he's underutilized in his other strength which is his offensive efficiency, except put backs where his efficiency is terrible this yr and he's better than he's shown, in that regard. To be clear, jv is better all-round player than bebe. However, in terms of how they're used on this team and their expected roles, there is an issue. Bebe is just trying to prove he belongs on the team/in the league. He has succeeded. Jv is trying to prove that he is big 3 and an all-star or near it. He has not accomplished that level. Hopefully he does.
          Funny that jv is actually better recently but still coddled. Plenty of actual professionals like matt Moore and the entire panel with Zach Lowe (Arthur, koreen) speak critically of jv but there's still much more opposition here. I can criticise Casey for his usage of jv or call his replacement, bebe, a poor rebounding twig, and no qualms. FTR, jv is a good player, better than he's shown/been used, but we should still be objectively critical of his performance, just as the above mentioned have been. We are kidding ourselves otherwise.
          Anyway, if jv we're playing 35+ mins, like our all stars, vs strictly the best opposition defenders, then your argument holds but it's not that absolute in reality. There is a grey area bc teams mix their rotations and bebe and jv are closer to parity at an even 24 min split (27v21) than they're purely 1st/2nd unit roles (35/13). We have 2/3 of a season sample for that. The only other game that jv missed, bebe only had 2 screen assists. However, that game was vs the kings and I remember that the whole team was hot garbage. To me, thats a failure of our guards more than bebe setting screens.

          Comment


          • KeonClark wrote: View Post
            I wouldn't say Demar is the reason JV is underutilized on offense, our entire game plan is the reason JV is ignored on offense. "next man up" means Lowry, then Powell, then Ross, then Carroll, then Joseph, then Van Vleet, then Drake, then Abbas. JV is firmly entrenched in "here's 3 post ups, 1 lob and a jump shot. the rest of this game will be spent screening and rebounding for us. Thanks bro"
            3 post ups, 1 lob, a jump shot, add some free throws and put-backs and it isn't half bad for playing 26 minutes, especially when you factor in his offensive contributions as a screener.

            I don't see much to cry about with Jonas' offensive usage now that I think of it. If he's hit his stride physically, he's going to hit more regularly for dump-offs - earlier in the season he was bobbling passes and whiffing on gimmees for some reason. Guys are going to find him if he's finishing.

            Comment


            • Comment

              Working...
              X