Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do we pass the mantle of Best all time Raptor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRex wrote: View Post
    Best career as a Raptor? i say yes. Best ever? i say he's top 3. 1.) VC 2.) Lowry 3.) DeRozan.

Can he pass VC as the best ever? it's possible. He needs to do something in the playoffs, like a legendary performance like Vince did back in 2001.
    This is what I meant. He has the best raptor career. Vince is definitely the best as a player with Lowry a close second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think Lowry is close.

There's a pretty big gap between #1 and #2 imo.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
        If it's premature to consider DD one of the best, then it should be equally premature to lump Lowry in there with Bosh and Vince. Lowry has been a Raptor for 4 seasons.
        Vince had 6.. so Lowry is not far off.. ultimately it comes down to playoff success. And Lowry has had more. He got the team to the ECF. Best Vince ever did was help win a 5 game series, and went 7 games in round 2.

Lowry isn't there yet, but its close for me. If he finishes this season in 75+ games and helps get the team to round 2 again, he's ahead of Vince in my opinion.

Comment

I know its off topic but deboo and kyle are the best duo and contenders for best raptors. This is all just speculation until careers are done. Judging on what happened last year and potentially could happen this year I could see demar coming out as the best with a combination of talent, individual accomplishments, and team success. He consistently gets better and also has the longevity with the franchise.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            In terms of best player, DeRozan will never equal prime Vinsanity, nor - arguably - Bosh.
            Yeah lets argue, I claim Derozan's peak in 2015-16 is higher than Boshs peak in 2009-10.

DD 15-16: 23.5/4.5/4 on 44.6/33.8/85.0 with 1.0 stl and 2.2 tov

Bosh 09-10: 24/10.8/2.4 on 51.8/36.4**/79.7 with 1.0 blk and 2.4 tov

**(albeit with only 0.3 3PA)

Also to note, Demar played in 78 games, which would be more games than Bosh has ever played in a season except for his second year.

Though Bosh generated extra possessions with his rebounds, Demar got more of his teammates engaged with his assists. Demar was better at taking care of the ball, and was more accurate at the line.

Overall Boshs best season involved the team missing the playoffs, whereas Demars best season came during the raptors best season historically.

Demar looks like he can sustain or even improve on his production from his best season, whereas after 2009-10 Bosh went to the heat and essentially ended his prime statistical years.

Demar's prime > Bosh's prime
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I always look at Bosh as the Shareef Abdur Rahim of the Raptors. Great player, great scorer on a mediocre/treadmill team.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                Yeah lets argue, I claim Derozan's peak in 2015-16 is higher than Boshs peak in 2009-10.

DD 15-16: 23.5/4.5/4 on 44.6/33.8/85.0 with 1.0 stl and 2.2 tov

Bosh 09-10: 24/10.8/2.4 on 51.8/36.4**/79.7 with 1.0 blk and 2.4 tov

**(albeit with only 0.3 3PA)

Also to note, Demar played in 78 games, which would be more games than Bosh has ever played in a season except for his second year.

Though Bosh generated extra possessions with his rebounds, Demar got more of his teammates engaged with his assists. Demar was better at taking care of the ball, and was more accurate at the line.

Overall Boshs best season involved the team missing the playoffs, whereas Demars best season came during the raptors best season historically.

Demar looks like he can sustain or even improve on his production from his best season, whereas after 2009-10 Bosh went to the heat and essentially ended his prime statistical years.

Demar's prime > Bosh's prime
                The two years you are comparing:

Bosh: 25 PER, .182 WS/48, 9.6 WS, 2.7 VORP
                DeRozan: 21.5 PER, .169 WS/48, 9.9 WS, 2.3 VORP

Individually, Bosh wins out. DeRozan definitely has the edge for team success, but Bosh definitely never had a Lowry. Heck, he never had a JV.

Multi-year comparisons are valid, but DeRozan has really only had two strong years so far (his 2014-15 was a disaster in many ways), though he is obviously looking to build on that with this season. But for now, Bosh in his 7 seasons with the Raps averaged a PER of 21.3, racked up 62 win shares, and a VORP of 18.6. DeRozan in his 7 seasons prior to this one has averaged a PER of 16.3, racked up 35 win shares, and a VORP of 3.6.

DeRozan will need several more very strong seasons to approach what Bosh provided in his time here.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                  I always look at Bosh as the Shareef Abdur Rahim of the Raptors. Great player, great scorer on a mediocre/treadmill team.
                  Abdur-Rahim, if I remember correctly, absolutely folded during crunch time. To the point of not wanting the ball in his hands with the game on the line. Guy was too scared of failing.

Don't think we ever described Bosh that way.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

Individually, Bosh wins out. DeRozan definitely has the edge for team success, but Bosh definitely never had a Lowry. Heck, he never had a JV.

Multi-year comparisons are valid, but DeRozan has really only had two strong years so far (his 2014-15 was a disaster in many ways), though he is obviously looking to build on that with this season. But for now, Bosh in his 7 seasons with the Raps averaged a PER of 21.3, racked up 62 win shares, and a VORP of 18.6. DeRozan in his 7 seasons prior to this one has averaged a PER of 16.3, racked up 35 win shares, and a VORP of 3.6.

DeRozan will need several more very strong seasons to approach what Bosh provided in his time here.
                    Not to mention bosh played defense. And the most important thing as you said, derozan played with a better player on the floor with him. Bosh was the player.
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      Not to mention bosh played defense. And the most important thing as you said, derozan played with a better player on the floor with him. Bosh was the player.
                      Yeah, the defence is partially captured in that cumulative VORP score. DeRozan has been somewhat better of late but his early career abysmal defence really sets him back in that department.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Peak still goes Vince then Lowry/Bosh then DeMar.

But by the end of the season DeMar will have taken the overall mantle imo. Barring injury, he will likely be number one for the franchise in the following categories:

Games played
                        Minutes played
                        Free throws

He should move into the top 5 for rebounds and assists. Number 3 for steals (assuming Lowry passes him and takes number 2).

Playoff performance will go a long way in cementing his status.

Kyle can also move ahead of Vince/Bosh in a year or two imo.

Comment

Part of what sets Vince & Bosh apart, is what they did as Raptors, and for the Raptors.

This comes from a fan who hopes the Raptors have no future affiliation with either player, and who pushed for Bosh to be traded the summer before his final season in a Raptors uniform.

Vince put the organization on the NBA map, globally. He changed the fate of the franchise, and created a nation of basketball fans. Yes, the way he left set the team back and reinforced the notion that stars shy away from the Canadian market, but that doesn't minimize the impact he had. The first taste of playoffs and that epic duel with Iverson... legendary and beyond expectations.

Bosh was an all-around player, who played on absolutely crappy teams. The team had zero expectations, yet he carried them. Had he had a team around him that was as talented and deep as what the Raptors have fielded the past few seasons, I think they could have gone much deeper into the playoffs. He picked the team up from the ashes of Vince's departure, and really helped solidify the franchise.

DeRozan is moving up the historic record books in a number of categories, but a lot of that comes down to a few things:
                          1. the dreadful history of Raptors basketball
                          2. a long tenure on a young team will add up eventually, even if you aren't a superstar
                          3. high usage helps (especially when paired with #2)

Like I said earlier, 'best Raptor' is one thing, but 'best Raptor player' is an entirely different story. Short of a championship appearance (at least), as the culmination of a playoff run he doesn't disappear for, I don't think DeRozan will ever enter into the latter conversation.

Comment

Part of what sets Vince & Bosh apart, is what they did as Raptors, and for the Raptors.

This comes from a fan who hopes the Raptors have no future affiliation with either player, and who pushed for Bosh to be traded the summer before his final season in a Raptors uniform.

Vince put the organization on the NBA map, globally. He changed the fate of the franchise, and created a nation of basketball fans. Yes, the way he left set the team back and reinforced the notion that stars shy away from the Canadian market, but that doesn't minimize the impact he had. The first taste of playoffs and that epic duel with Iverson... legendary and beyond expectations.

Bosh was an all-around player, who played on absolutely crappy teams. The team had zero expectations, yet he carried them. Had he had a team around him that was as talented and deep as what the Raptors have fielded the past few seasons, I think they could have gone much deeper into the playoffs. He picked the team up from the ashes of Vince's departure, and really helped solidify the franchise.

DeRozan is moving up the historic record books in a number of categories, but a lot of that comes down to a few things:
                            2. a long tenure on a young team will add up eventually, even if you aren't a superstar

Like I said earlier, 'best Raptor' is one thing, but 'best Raptor player' is an entirely different story. Short of a championship appearance (at least), as the culmination of a playoff run he doesn't disappear for, I don't think DeRozan will ever enter into the latter conversation.
                            I think this post should pretty much end the discussion. Nailed it.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

This honestly really should end this thread. Pretty much everything I wanted to say right there.

For my personal perspective: I honestly don't think think Demar can touch either Lowry of Vince but I could see him potentially passing Bosh. Demar has a LOT more help than Bosh did and that absolutely should be taken into account (not to mention those 3 things that you specifically mentioned as they really help Demar's resume most) and even then, you're also ignoring the other side of the ball for this argument (defense) which I absolutely believe matters. Personal answer: Lowry passed Vince for me as of Game 7 of the second round of the ECSF and cemented it again in Game 6 of the ECF (he REALLY had me believing we'd push it to Game 7). So it'd be Lowry then Vince then Bosh then Demar.
                              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

Any chance VORP and win shares are inflated for good players on bad teams? Something like: Bosh contributed more to winning than Derozan because Derozan has teammates who also contribute to the win?
                                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Working...
                                X