Everything 2016/17 NBA Draft Thread aka Thank Nation 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
    FWIW, Tankathon has the Raptors taking Giles at 22.
    I'm kind of wondering if the Bruno experience has made Masai a little gunshy about taking riskier/project-type players. When Skal fell to us I thought he'd pull the trigger for sure, but instead we went with the guy who's turning 23 soon.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
      I'm kind of wondering if the Bruno experience has made Masai a little gunshy about taking riskier/project-type players. When Skal fell to us I thought he'd pull the trigger for sure, but instead we went with the guy who's turning 23 soon.
      Sure feels like Bruno, and also Bebe both had an impact on drafting, i.e., no more roster spots left for development projects on a contending team. Casey wants guys who can contribute right away.

Look at how we've drafted after Bruno. Every guy was accomplished at the NCAA level, but were also low-risk, low-ceiling picks. No doubt Casey has his fingerprints all over these picks and Masai is getting his type of NBA-ready guys to fit Casey's "system", whatever that is. Wright & Powell were drafted for perimeter defense to complement Lowry & DD. Siakam looks like a Bismack replacement. Poeltl looks like a mobile version of JV.

If Skal or Davis blows up, we can blame the Brazilians. lol.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
        Yeah it does seem that way.

I really hope that's not the case and I don't mean for Giles because he really is a scary pick with already haven had 2 major surgeries and he hasn't even turned 19 yet. But I mean it more in the case that if Bridges or Anunoby are on the board that we take a chance on them developing because they have all the physical ability of stars and unlike Bruno they're not absolutely clueless.

If do go for the supposed more "NBA ready" player then my picks are Caleb Swanigan (who's actually the age of a freshman - he's same age as Leaf, month older than Markannen and Josh Jackson is OLDER for some perspective) or Jawun Evans. I'll pass on guys like Blossomgame (who looks incredibly average at best), Leaf, Lydon.

Right now my board would be:

1. OG Anunoby
        2. Miles Bridges/Isaiah Hartenstein

If they're already taken
        3. Caleb Swanigan
        4. Jawun Evans
        5. Rabb/Pasecniks

Might shock some that I took Swanigan over Rabb but I really believe he's going to be the better player and he beats him in every statistical category and he's YOUNGER than Rabb. Really the numbers Swanigan is putting up is pretty damn impressive as a kid the age of a freshman and his production is actually better than Kevin Love's was...yeah he may not be a dream pick but I think he could be a huge steal, I think whichever one of him or Evans doesn't get taken by us the Spurs will be all over and with LMA out, I now think he would be a top target.

Comment

• This would be my top 5 right now:

1. John Collins
          2. Isaiah Hartenstein
          3. Dwayne Bacon
          4. Ivan Rabb
          5. Luke Kennard

I really like John Collins game, especially if Ibaka or Patterson walk can plug him in a good 20 min role. Good potential with the right coaching.

Hartenstein has the potential to be great but has the emotional fortitude of Boogie, I'd take the gamble if Lowry, Ibaka and PJ on our team, they'd set him straight.

Dwayne Bacon could jump up the board for me depending how he does in the tournament; he can score and has an NBA-ready body, just need to see what he really is made out of when the lights shine bright.

With Rabb and Kennard, I think teams know what they are getting, solid rotational players with the potential for spot starts in a line-up; safe picks in my mind but not ideal.

Comment

• Deems wrote: View Post
            This would be my top 5 right now:

1. John Collins
            2. Isaiah Hartenstein
            3. Dwayne Bacon
            4. Ivan Rabb
            5. Luke Kennard

I really like John Collins game, especially if Ibaka or Patterson walk can plug him in a good 20 min role. Good potential with the right coaching.

Hartenstein has the potential to be great but has the emotional fortitude of Boogie, I'd take the gamble if Lowry, Ibaka and PJ on our team, they'd set him straight.

Dwayne Bacon could jump up the board for me depending how he does in the tournament; he can score and has an NBA-ready body, just need to see what he really is made out of when the lights shine bright.

With Rabb and Kennard, I think teams know what they are getting, solid rotational players with the potential for spot starts in a line-up; safe picks in my mind but not ideal.
            Funny I'm not really seeing why some boards (and yourself) are so high on Collins.

He looks like a role player if I ever seen one. Majority of his points come from putbacks and lobs. He's showing some flashes of a mid range jumper but really to only be at the beginning process of developing jumper now doesn't bode well to extending out to the perimeter...

I find myself baffled why Swanigan isn't ahead of both him and Rabb. Caleb's younger than Rabb and only a few months older than Collins but beats both of them statistically, is the best rebounder of the 3, by far has best 3pt % (43+%) and has a lot more post moves than any of them. But whatever, I feel like he's so slept on because he was overweight coming out of highschool, now he has the 2nd lowest body fat percentage on his team and seems to work obsessively on improving his game which made massive strides and he's the age of a freshman. Sorry for the rant but I really need to be sold on other PFs being ranked ahead of him unless it's Markannen or Hartenstein because Caleb is just flat out ballin and he's still the age of a freshman.

Comment

• http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

Draft express has us taking Rabb with the 22nd pick.

A year ago Rabb was a lottery pick before pulling out.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

Draft express has us taking Rabb with the 22nd pick.

A year ago Rabb was a lottery pick before pulling out.
                Hope not.

Swanigan is younger and better in nearly every statistical category.

Really the kid I wish we could draft (if OG, Bridges & Hartenstein are off the board) is Ike Anigbogu. Just think it's unlikely because for some unknown reason UCLA doesn't play him much but he is an absolutely beastly C. I'm worried he will be next year's "Anunoby" but won't go as under the radar because he will make his prescence felt (as he does now) defensively but it will be more noticable.
                Last edited by JamesNaismith; Wed Mar 15, 2017, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                  Hope not.

Swanigan is younger and better in nearly every statistical category.

Really the kid I wish we could draft (if OG, Bridges & Hartenstein are off the board) is Ike Anigbogu. Just think it's unlikely because for some unknown reason UCLA doesn't play him much but he is an absolutely beastly C. I'm worried he will be next year's "Anunoby" but won't go as under the radar because he will make his prescence felt (as he does now) defensively but it will be more noticable.
                  How is his shooting?! because if he can't shoot, he might not find himself minutes either in Casey's rotation in this system.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                    How is his shooting?! because if he can't shoot, he might not find himself minutes either in Casey's rotation in this system.
                    He's not a great shooter but he does the rebounding and shotblocking in spades which I know Casey likes....he pretty much would fulfill what Tyson Chandler did which is really what I think all Casey is after. Casey seems to want a guy who can be a garbageman on the boards and protects the paint and switches on the perimeter better.

Anigbogu is a monster....the kid gobbles up rebounds and blocks the hell outta everything coming into the paint or near it. Can't remember where but I could have sworn they said he had a 7'4 or 7'5 wingspan and near 40 inch vertical; that's Dwight Howard like (not like Adebayo who is only 7'1 wingspan) and this kid goes for every shot. He really projects to be an elite shot blocker...ie/ Adebayo averages 1.6bpg in 29.6mpg....Anigbogu does 1.3bpg in 13mpg (less than half the time). Keep in mind we did just try to trade for Drummond who actually wasn't considered as aggressive as Ike at the same stage.

I put this up before in this thread but might help with some insight....

I have my doubts unless he gets more burn now in the tourney that he will declare and then next year he'll just be too high for us to draft but this year he could be a big time steal.

Comment

• Evans from Oklahoma state looks like Kyle Lowry lite and he plays real hard on defence. Is he in our range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                        Evans from Oklahoma state looks like Kyle Lowry lite and he plays real hard on defence. Is he in our range?

Yeah, hes actually dropped a bit and now that he's out of the tourney I'd imagine he stays out unless he kills it in combine/workouts.
                        Man, the tournament is the GOAT.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                          Yeah, hes actually dropped a bit and now that he's out of the tourney I'd imagine he stays out unless he kills it in combine/workouts.
                          Man, the tournament is the GOAT.
                          He could be our future at Point Guard. Have wright off the bench, trade cojo and something else to fix the 3 position and we're in a good spot for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                            He could be our future at Point Guard. Have wright off the bench, trade cojo and something else to fix the 3 position and we're in a good spot for the foreseeable future.

There's a lot of good players in our range.

Comment

• I want Ojeleye from SMU so bad, guy is a monster and exactly what we need in a combo forward. Shoots threes, rebounds, solid post game, good defender.

I've been high on him all year and now he's starting to get some attention. Watch for him to get to the sweet 16 and give Duke a run for their money.

He's like DeMarre Carroll but actually a good player.
                              SPECIAL REPORT: March 27th, 2017, it is now confirmed Lebron James has had both his back and his dignity broken by the vicious swinging right elbow of ruthless heavyweight PF and notorious bad-boy David Lee

Comment

• Brian Scallabrine wrote: View Post
                                I want Ojeleye from SMU so bad, guy is a monster and exactly what we need in a combo forward. Shoots threes, rebounds, solid post game, good defender.

I've been high on him all year and now he's starting to get some attention. Watch for him to get to the sweet 16 and give Duke a run for their money.

He's like DeMarre Carroll but actually a good player.
                                Yeah, I'm interested in him too. He never played in bwb, otherwise I'd say he's a lock.

Comment

Working...
                                X