Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything 2016/17 NBA Draft Thread aka Thank Nation 2.0

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    LOL.. true, but the second rounder will probably be in the late 50's.. Raptors had the 4th best record in the league last year.. could have the same this year. I personally don't have much faith that the 55th-56th pick in the draft will be all that great.
    It's also because of that fact that we will likely keep it because it's not a very enticing piece in a trade. In all likelihood the player will be either a college junior or senior that fits a need on a non guaranteed contract in the D-League or a Euro stash. My guess is it will be an older PF prospect, Nigel Hayes, Alpha Kaba, Johnathan Motley (who is kinda reminiscent of Siakam) and Thomas Bryant come to mind....I should also throw Cameron Oliver on that list too. This draft is deep.
    Last edited by JamesNaismith; Sun Nov 13th, 2016, 06:27 PM.

    Comment


    • #32
      JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
      It's also because of that fact that we will likely keep it because it's not a very enticing piece in a trade. In all likelihood the player will be either a college junior or senior that fits a need on a non guaranteed contract in the D-League or a Euro stash. My guess is it will be an older PF prospect, Nigel Hayes especially and Thomas Bryant come to mind.
      i love bryant! he is a sophomore tho, i think? projected mid-first iirc? would guess he stays in school if his stock takes a hit. excited for indiana this yr. havent started folllowing ncaa yet so not sure of the landscape atm.

      Comment


      • #33
        lewro wrote: View Post
        i love bryant! he is a sophomore tho, i think? projected mid-first iirc? would guess he stays in school if his stock takes a hit. excited for indiana this yr. havent started folllowing ncaa yet so not sure of the landscape atm.
        Guess it depends what draftboard you look at. Nbadraft has him 40+ range, I know DraftExpress has him mid-1st but I just find that hard to believe with all the talent that is in this draft that they will take an energy player that high and if they do, great lol because that means more talent is slipping to us. I really, really want us to keep these picks unless we're getting some all-star back in a larger package.

        Comment


        • #34
          JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
          Guess it depends what draftboard you look at. Nbadraft has him 40+ range, I know DraftExpress has him mid-1st but I just find that hard to believe with all the talent that is in this draft that they will take an energy player that high and if they do, great lol because that means more talent is slipping to us. I really, really want us to keep these picks unless we're getting some all-star back in a larger package.
          i dont look at nbadraft much. draftexpress had him fringe lottery last yr. they also had rabb around the same spot for last yrs draft, then same spot after the draft for 2017 and now i think i saw him top 5? i look at tankathon sometimes. not so much bc i trust their board but its a quick way to see where the teams are, including the swap rights. then spin the wheel once while you are there, why not!? i think they had bryant around 20? i'm not saying i want bryant for the raps, just he has potential.
          yeah, so things in so much flux for the next yr. like i said i havent started watching ncaa yet so i dont know whats going on? nice to have you along for the ride this early in the season. keep posting!
          im always bullish about the picks but this year dd is a different player and i feel good about the value of some of our depth and the possibility to make a move is too exciting. never really felt this way as a raps fan in 20 yrs. always hawk eyeing the draft and waiting for potential. feels good to walk around in a new pair of shoes for the first time!

          Comment


          • #35
            Just for some cynical context.,,it is certainly possible that the top four teams at the end of the year (in no order) are the cavs, raps, warriors and Clippers. Maybe throw in the Spurs to make it a top five. That would leave our picks around 25-26 (at best). Not sure what studs we're getting there. Maybe best to keep both because each has a smaller chance of working out. Diversify.

            Comment


            • #36
              I don't know if draft boards just haven't been updated or if the kid is being slept on but Miles Bridges looks good so far! I would keep my eye on him this year. 6'7 SF built like a tank, long arms, crazy hops, with a 3pt shot. I'm doubtful he will still be on the board when we draft but if current boards are right, then he's up there with OG.

              Comment


              • #37
                JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                I don't know if draft boards just haven't been updated or if the kid is being slept on but Miles Bridges looks good so far! I would keep my eye on him this year. 6'7 SF built like a tank, long arms, crazy hops, with a 3pt shot. I'm doubtful he will still be on the board when we draft but if current boards are right, then he's up there with OG.
                Reminds me so much of Rudy Gay

                Comment


                • #38
                  tDotted wrote: View Post
                  Reminds me so much of Rudy Gay
                  Not sure why other than maybe a similar body type although Bridges looks broader. Also from what I seen he seems far more team oriented than iso like Rudy and already has a fairly good 3pt shot. Not saying he's on the level at all but his style of play reminds me more of Pierce than Gay.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                    Not sure why other than maybe a similar body type although Bridges looks broader. Also from what I seen he seems far more team oriented than iso like Rudy and already has a fairly good 3pt shot. Not saying he's on the level at all but his style of play reminds me more of Pierce than Gay.
                    Pierce was very ISO heavy in his early years with a much better jumpshot than what Bridges has shown (both spotting up and off the dribble). Bridges' strength, athleticism, and finishing are all extremely similar to a young Rudy Gay. Reading Gay's old scouting reports, he too was willing to pass the ball (but with a weak handle.. similar to Bridges there as well.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      tDotted wrote: View Post
                      Pierce was very ISO heavy in his early years with a much better jumpshot than what Bridges has shown (both spotting up and off the dribble). Bridges' strength, athleticism, and finishing are all extremely similar to a young Rudy Gay. Reading Gay's old scouting reports, he too was willing to pass the ball (but with a weak handle.. similar to Bridges there as well.
                      Lmao sorry, I'm sure you're a nice poster and everything and I'm really not trying to be rude but I don't believe you for one second that the comparison you initially made was to a "young" Rudy Gay for several reasons...

                      1. Of course you would have said a "young" Rudy Gay or Rudy Gay "in college" in your original post because...
                      2. It's ESPECIALLY in light of how you yourself describe a young Rudy Gay as a willing passer and NOT iso heavy which of course is NOW synonmous with Rudy Gay's name....surely if you were thinking he was like a young Rudy Gay who wasn't the same iso player he is now you would be sure to point out that fact ahead of time especially on a Raptor board where that's all people remember about him.
                      3. You expose that you weren't in fact referring to then as you point out you were "reading Gay's old scouting reports"...if he "reminded" you of Gay, that would infer that it is YOUR memories or recollection not a scouting report that you read...or you probably would have likely pointed out that as well that it reminds you of a scouting report you read.

                      I think the bottomline is you made a bit of poor comparison because you seen the long arms and athleticism and just quickly spouted out that he's like Rudy Gay. BUT perhaps I'm totally wrong and you did mean a "young" Rudy Gay, the player that isn't all iso...it makes a world of difference. Just as if someone said Wiggins reminded them of VC, they would be completely off as a prime VC was an entirely different level but a college one may actually have a lot in common but they are basically college VC and NBA VC are VERY different players.

                      A Rudy Gay that doesn't iso, is an entirely different player and I have no doubt would be a player our fans would want and it's also pretty unbelievable that you didn't think to point that out with that in mind but moving along...

                      But I definitely have to disagree with you saying same strength as well...again Bridges is far more in line with Pierce there too. Gay was leaner than both. Bridges was almost slightly pudgy in HS and is shedding that weight in college to be a lot more physically solid which again resembles Pierce. In fact Pierce's measurements and Bridges are pretty damn similar....both guys measured between 6'6 - 6'7 (Gay was 6'8-6'9), Miles is currently 230pds, Pierce was 229....Gay was 222 but is TALLER, yes 2-3 inches can make a substantial difference in weight and appearance and yet both guys are HEAVIER than Gay was despite being shorter. You can see by looking at them that they are a lot more solid.






                      Again I'm NOT saying he is anywhere near as good as Paul Pierce but both physically and his style of play AND strong personality reminds me more of Pierce than he does Gay. This is to the Pierce and Gay most people know, not a "young" Rudy that by your description is not the same player and I'll just leave it at agree to disagree and that I'll take non iso Rudy Gay any day as our draft pick.
                      Last edited by JamesNaismith; Mon Nov 14th, 2016, 08:34 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        But back on discussing draft picks....LONZO BALL looks like the truth out there! I thought he was the most slept on before the year started because they were projecting him outside the top 10 but man if he keeps ballin like he does, personally I may even take him over DS Jr and Fultz.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Lol I don't know where to start.

                          1) Well first off, I don't make stuff up. Here's a pre-draft scouting report of Rudy Gay (written March 2006 by DraftExpress)

                          Gay is a very good teammate, showing many of the intangibles that lead you to believe he has what it takes to reach his high ceiling. He is extremely unselfish and an excellent passer, using his height to see the floor and a good understanding of how to put his teammates the ball in a position to score, either on the perimeter or inside the paint. He doesn’t mind making the extra pass, almost to a fault at times.
                          2) I thought it would be pretty obvious I was talking about a young Rudy Gay and not the 30 year old version.. Just like I correctly assumed that you weren't comparing the 39 year old spot-up-for-3 Pierce to the above-the-rim Bridges. Common sense I would think but that may be my fault.

                          3) Pierce is still a pretty inaccurate comparison.. I mean, his bread and butter coming into the league was making off the dribble jumpers in the mid range area meanwhile that's one of Bridges' biggest weaknesses. The Truth (even in his younger days) was one of the most craftiest players around... Both Bridges and Gay were said to have relied on their athleticism too frequently.

                          4) To your point of the two Rudy Gays being "completely" different

                          When he’s at his worst, Gay alternates between trying to do too much and not doing anything at all, either forcing the issue as if he wants to prove that the hype he’s received his entire career was justified, or not being a factor at all on either side of the floor.
                          "Wait but the scout just said he was a good passer". Yeah while that was true in college, the point gets diminshed at the NBA level. You can't get away with being an "OK" ball handler while still making great plays for teammates from the wing position. The ball handling had to improve for Rudy in order to keep setting up teammmates well and it didn't. This is why he's such an ISO heavy player to this day. Contrast to Pierce who became very good at the NBA level because he was already a good ballhandler and only improved form there.

                          Bridges is not a good ballhandler. His playmaking will take a hit at the NBA level unless he improves in that area.

                          (Otto Porter is a good recent example. In Georgetown he was one of the primary ball handlers playing point forward but now he mainly has to rely on his sheer scoring ability so far [even with Wall on the bench] because he isn't a great ballhandler yet)

                          5) Here's the real kicker. Both Bridges and Gay were thought to have great potential at guarding multiple positions in the NBA (due to length and strength) but both never really showed the ability to guard the wing positions full-time. Meanwhile Pierce was always touted as a great defender.

                          http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...Bridges-81785/

                          http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/1...ers/pierce.htm

                          http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...g-Report-2713/



                          But if you want to keep comparing their height and weight be my guest.
                          Last edited by tDotted; Mon Nov 14th, 2016, 10:14 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Grayson Allen and Monte Morris are the only two names that jump off the page to me in our draft area of late first/Early second prospects. Allen is a pure gamer but a small SG. Morris is an attacking PG with good size (6'3).

                            As SG and PG though, hard to see either without a trade. Back court has too many bodies as it is.

                            Hopefully one of the more hyped prospects has a disappointing year and drops to our range because most of the names in this thread I've seen are lotto picks.

                            Draft and stash might be the best option for one of our picks.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                            If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Wish this site gave you notification when you've been quoted because now it's just a super late response but I'm not going to dig up an old argument but just say that Bridges plays with far more physical and aggressive than Gay ever did as a college player and defended better and you'll see that with your own eyes as the year progresses that they are not alike despite you picking little points here or there from old articles which doesn't mean much to me as they even likened DeShawn Stephenson to Michael Jordan. Actually watch the players in game and you'll see they're very different players...moving along.

                              Was just looking at some sleepers for this draft and with Masai's picking some fairly unknown players (ie/ Bruno, Siakam)... I think a contender for his underground pick is Semi Ojeleye, the kid is a 6'8 SF that is built like an absolute tank and can shoot the 3. I think he is definitely a kid to keep an eye on. He could be our 2nd second round gem.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                                Wish this site gave you notification when you've been quoted because....
                                You can. Got to Settings->General Settings.

                                Then under "Quote Notification" click the radio button next to either "Email" or "Private Message".

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X