Everything 2016/17 NBA Draft Thread aka Thank Nation 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    You can. Got to Settings->General Settings.

Then under "Quote Notification" click the radio button next to either "Email" or "Private Message".
    Oh ok, thanks!

OT I see most people in this thread want OG Anunoby as one of our picks (as do I) but I don't think there's any chance he falls into the 20s... I wouldn't be surprised he made top 10 actually. The kid has an incredible build and length with great athleticism. Combine that with superb defense and ability to shoot the 3 and developing game I just can't see it but he would be pretty much the perfect fit at 3 for us. I would be willing to package both picks plus a young player (not named Norm Powell) to get him.

Just the thought of him, Wright, Powell, Siakam and yes a fully developed Bruno is crazy how much their defense, footspeed n insane length would absolutely stifle teams' offences, something we obviously need now.

Comment

Although it won't be as good a pick, there's still a fun side to watching the clippers this year. Last year, we expected the nuggets to lose so it was so frustrating whenever they pulled out a last second win. Especially against us. But this year, you expect the Clippers to win so it's such an unexpected treat when they lose. Thanks Pacers.

Comment

Could I really live with myself if I wore a Raptor Jersey with Grayson Allen's name and number? I would feel dirty and ashamed...

Comment

tonious35 wrote: View Post
          Could I really live with myself if I wore a Raptor Jersey with Grayson Allen's name and number? I would feel dirty and ashamed...
          Being that we have 3 SGs, one of which we've maxed out and the other 2 look more than ready to go, there's little to no chance that happens so don't sweat it lol I know everybody says don't draft by need but at with picks at the end of the 1st rd, we're going to try and fill gaps on the cheap and I will bet the farm on us getting either SF or PFs with our picks...

Comment

If we let Patterson and Sullinger walk in the offseason and keep our 2 picks, everyone on the roster other than Carroll and Joseph will be Raptor grown players (I consider Lowry Raptor grown). I think that is Masai's long term strategy and it's paying off really well so far. We have a lot of talented players on rookie contracts, and we have been signing our rookies to extensions before they hit RFA which is resulting in fantastic value contracts (Ross and JV). I expect we'll use this coming offseason to sign Powell, Bebe, and Bruno to great value extensions as well. Our development program seems to be pretty effective at getting guys to improve each year, so it's almost a given they will outplay the cost. These value contracts are worth a ton more in trade than a player heading into RFA, so it opens up a lot more options to improve the roster, should we decide to trade any of them.

tldr/ I think we keep the picks as part of Masai's long term strategy to build a perennial contender.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
              If we let Patterson and Sullinger walk in the offseason and keep our 2 picks, everyone on the roster other than Carroll and Joseph will be Raptor grown players (I consider Lowry Raptor grown). I think that is Masai's long term strategy and it's paying off really well so far. We have a lot of talented players on rookie contracts, and we have been signing our rookies to extensions before they hit RFA which is resulting in fantastic value contracts (Ross and JV). I expect we'll use this coming offseason to sign Powell, Bebe, and Bruno to great value extensions as well. Our development program seems to be pretty effective at getting guys to improve each year, so it's almost a given they will outplay the cost. These value contracts are worth a ton more in trade than a player heading into RFA, so it opens up a lot more options to improve the roster, should we decide to trade any of them.

tldr/ I think we keep the picks as part of Masai's long term strategy to build a perennial contender.
              I like the idea, and think you are right in that Masai is trying for long term success, but I question if it works. Hard to build with late first round picks, even if you hit on a few for starter caliber guys. Not sure anyone on the roster will be able to take the torch from Lowry (not even at pg, just in impact). Wouldn't be surprised if Masai sticks with this team the rest of the season and makes a draft night trade to go up in the lotto to account for this.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                I like the idea, and think you are right in that Masai is trying for long term success, but I question if it works. Hard to build with late first round picks, even if you hit on a few for starter caliber guys. Not sure anyone on the roster will be able to take the torch from Lowry (not even at pg, just in impact). Wouldn't be surprised if Masai sticks with this team the rest of the season and makes a draft night trade to go up in the lotto to account for this.
                It can't be forgotten that the team core was acquired back when Raptors were a perennial lottery team or traded a high pick away for someone. It will be a while before a superior development program salted with in-house low picks shows that it is a sustainable strategy. I'm hoping it is but I suspect trades and the occasional FA along with that in-house strategy will be more likely if the franchise expects to continue as an upper tier team in the league.

Comment

PF will probably still be a need of ours and Chad Ford's 25-30 range now has 4 of them.

Here are 2 that took a big leap on his board.

T.J. Leaf, PF, Freshman, UCLA

Top 100 Rank: 25

All the scouting eyes in the NBA have been focused on Lonzo Ball at UCLA, and so far he has lived up to the hype (and jumped four spots from No. 7 to No. 3 in our Top 100). But Leaf has more than held his own in the early going, drawing raves from scouts who love his combination of size, agility and shooting prowess.

He's averaging 17.1 PPG, 8.9 RPG and 1.3 BPG while shooting 68 percent from the field and 53 percent from 3. On a team loaded with potent scorers, he leads the Bruins in points per game, field goal percentage and 3-point percentage.

"He's the perfect modern NBA 4," one GM said. "He can rebound, block shots, stretch the floor and finish at the rim. I think everyone wants to be a bit cautious about him. He needs to get stronger and we all want to see how he fares against more elite talent. But I could see him ending up in the lottery. Most of us had Tyler Lydon ahead of him on our draft boards, but I think T.J. is better."
                  Robert Williams, PF, Freshman, Texas A&M

Top 100 Rank: 27

Williams was ranked just No. 50 in his high school class, but he appears to have been seriously underrated. Long (with a 7-foot-4 wingspan), bouncy big men who can rebound, block shots and shoot jumpers will always be in fashion.

While Williams hasn't hit a 3 yet this season, he's shooting 43.5 percent on his 2-point jumpers and those jumpers make up about 50 percent of his offensive repertoire. At the rim he's even more devastating, shooting 80 percent.

On top of that he's averaging 2.7 BPG in just 19.3 MPG. The comparisons to Marquese Chriss are starting, and Williams actually looks like a better rebounder and shot-blocker than Chriss did at the same age. If he can continue this sort of production in SEC play, Williams might prove to have lottery-type talent.

"I saw him versus UCLA the other night and I just love him," one scout said. "There's still some rawness on the offensive end. He needs to become a better ball handler and work on getting better at creating his own shot. But I could see him becoming a beast in the NBA."
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

The one guy I don't currently see high on draft boards but looks like he could be damn near a highway robbery is Jawun Evans. I swear that this kid is this draft's Lillard (even though his game resembles CP3). Not that he's a senior like Dame was, but just that he was a MAJORLY slept on recruit and I think should skyrocket over the course of the season into the top 10. But if he were by some fluke slip through the cracks to use in the 20s, I don't care how many PGs we have or if we supposedly have greater positions of need we better take him because that kid has serious game.

I admit I may be getting way ahead of myself but I think he's going to prove to be on the same level as Ball and DS Jrd (I think of Fultz as more a SG like Wade). My absolute dream draft we would be coming out of the draft with Evans and Anunoby but both guys came into the season projected as 2 picks but I think are going to challenge the top 10. It's insane how deep this draft is, someone really good is going to fall all the way to our pick. I just hope we don't let go of our picks in anything less than a package for another all-star because there is just too much potential.

Comment

I'm certain Lowry comes back so we'll be a contender just with Lowry + DD and then everyone else on the roster either plays a key role or is a key trade piece. We're just a Lebron injury or slick trade away from being NBA Finals contenders.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                        I'm certain Lowry comes back so we'll be a contender just with Lowry + DD and then everyone else on the roster either plays a key role or is a key trade piece. We're just a Lebron injury or slick trade away from being NBA Finals contenders.
                        Yeah I agree the team is set up for a successful couple season, with a chance at getting to the finals. I was saying that after Lowry falls off, I think the team will slide into mediocrity, if the plan is to build through the draft, cause the Raps will have late first rounders for a while.

Comment

JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                          The one guy I don't currently see high on draft boards but looks like he could be damn near a highway robbery is Jawun Evans. I swear that this kid is this draft's Lillard (even though his game resembles CP3). Not that he's a senior like Dame was, but just that he was a MAJORLY slept on recruit and I think should skyrocket over the course of the season into the top 10. But if he were by some fluke slip through the cracks to use in the 20s, I don't care how many PGs we have or if we supposedly have greater positions of need we better take him because that kid has serious game.

I admit I may be getting way ahead of myself but I think he's going to prove to be on the same level as Ball and DS Jrd (I think of Fultz as more a SG like Wade). My absolute dream draft we would be coming out of the draft with Evans and Anunoby but both guys came into the season projected as 2 picks but I think are going to challenge the top 10. It's insane how deep this draft is, someone really good is going to fall all the way to our pick. I just hope we don't let go of our picks in anything less than a package for another all-star because there is just too much potential.
                          Keep hearing people compare Fultz to Wade, why do you say that? Do you just think he isn't a lead ball handler or is it play style? He is definitely a great slasher, but is a good shooter and I would argue doesn't have the in between game that makes Wade so good.

Comment

Keep hearing people compare Fultz to Wade, why do you say that? Do you just think he isn't a lead ball handler or is it play style? He is definitely a great slasher, but is a good shooter and I would argue doesn't have the in between game that makes Wade so good.
                            Well I would say he's not at Wade's level yet but I do actually think that's a lot of his game and what makes him more a SG than a PG. I heard ppl initially compare him to Westbrook but Russ uses his crazy athleticism to fly down lanes or around picks for his shots, dunks etc or he uses it to pitch out. Fultz (from the games I've seen) looks far more methodical, reads the defence more, uses his handle to operate n make a decision much like the in between game you're talking about with Wade. It's just Fultz is already showing good range n has that speed and athleticism to blowing by his man.

Then in combination with his similar build and just the pace he plays the game at I see a lot of resemblance personally. He is also showing signs of being a good defender which of course Wade was/is. Their games obviously aren't exact and there will be some unique traits for each but the kid is a special player and of anyone in the league so far that's who he most resembles Imo. Funny aside is DS Jr also reminds me a lot of our own Kyle Lowry (if KL had crazy hops lol) but their style of play is very similar imo.

Comment

Well I would say he's not at Wade's level yet but I do actually think that's a lot of his game and what makes him more a SG than a PG. I heard ppl initially compare him to Westbrook but Russ uses his crazy athleticism to fly down lanes or around picks for his shots, dunks etc or he uses it to pitch out. Fultz (from the games I've seen) looks far more methodical, reads the defence more, uses his handle to operate n make a decision much like the in between game you're talking about with Wade. It's just Fultz is already showing good range n has that speed and athleticism to blowing by his man.

Then in combination with his similar build and just the pace he plays the game at I see a lot of resemblance personally. He is also showing signs of being a good defender which of course Wade was/is. Their games obviously aren't exact and there will be some unique traits for each but the kid is a special player and of anyone in the league so far that's who he most resembles Imo. Funny aside is DS Jr also reminds me a lot of our own Kyle Lowry (if KL had crazy hops lol) but their style of play is very similar imo.
                              Fair enough, I reminds me of a few guys, but any comp falls short in my opinion. (not that Fultz is better or worse than any comps given lol)

Its weird talking about his defense, its so inconsistent. For example, I saw his season opener against Yale and he lost his man on defense over 50 percent of the time. I think most of that was because he just didn't give a fuck, cause in crunch time he played good defense, still mildly concerning though. His offensive game is undoubtedly exceptional though.

Comment

The one guy I don't currently see high on draft boards but looks like he could be damn near a highway robbery is Jawun Evans. .
                                Chad Ford has moved him up to 26

The Big 12 Freshman of the Year didn't get much preseason love from NBA scouts despite the fact that he put up impressive numbers in 2015-16. His lack of elite size and explosive athleticism raised concerns about his ceiling in the NBA.

However, Evans is off to one of the hottest starts of anyone in the country, averaging 24.7 PPG, 5.3 APG and 2.8 SPG, plus 56 percent shooting from 3. Despite his high usage rate, he's averaging just 1.8 turnovers per game. He has already dropped 35 points on UConn and 30 points in 27 minutes against UNC.

In a draft absolutely loaded with elite point guard prospects, it can be easy to dismiss Evans. But a number of scouts who watched him at the Maui Invitational told me they think that after the elite freshmen are off the board, Evans could be the next name called.

"Once you get past Markelle Fultz, Lonzo Ball, Dennis Smith, De'Aaron Fox and the kid from France [Frank Ntilikina], I think he's the best point guard prospect in the draft," one NBA scout said. "All of those other guys will be gone before the lottery [ends]. But there will still be teams looking for point guards and I think he's going to be a good one."
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X