Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything 2016/17 NBA Draft Thread aka Thank Nation 2.0

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • lewro wrote: View Post
    That's a bummer. Wonder if he had an private workouts with raps? I haven't looked it up, did he work out for anyone? Only heard the combine news.
    He worked out for bucks bulls and nets. Celtics were intrigued. Supposedly, he wanted a promise in the 20s at least. He's projected to be mid lottery next year.

    Comment


    • Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      Graded out as one of the best athletes at the combine. Was top 5 in every agility test and jump 40.5 inches off the floor. Strong, 241 pounds only 5% body fat. Those are all tools to be a good if not great defender. Compare hid measurements to Crowder in 2012. Identical but, Semi is the way better athlete. He also played on one of the best defensive teams in the country. Where they played all 6'6-6'8 lineup and they just switched everything. Semi is ready for new age NBA.

      Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
      Semi sounds good in most aspects. But the biggest/ most important issue with him is his terrible BBIQ. Showed up worse in a team setting. Admittedly I didn't watch any of the games he played in. If anything this Raptors team need more it would be personnel to play team ball. Semi would rank dead last in that aspect.

      Look at a guy like McGee, has all the attributes he needs to be an elite centre in the league like a Rudy Gobert. But never really developed his BBIQ and ultimately became a journeyman fool.

      But then again, where we are picking we are bound to find guys with major flaws but check out other boxes. If the team trust their player development and D-League management, I won't mind taking a shot on him; but if you are gonna take that risk you might as well take that risk on guy with more upside than Semi.

      Comment


      • What if we traded Carroll and #23 pick to Philly for #39 and #36 and maybe a sweeter like a future 2nd or 2nd swap rights? Other sweetener options could be the rights to the Turkish kid they drafted last yr, sauce Castillo, splitter, roco. We also have cojo to make a bigger deal.
        I just threw a lot of shit at the fan but a few things: I'm not sure I'm sold on anyone guy at 23 but there are a few upside and safe guys that I like in the 30s. Hard to move Carroll and Philly is one of the few teams that could be a landing spot (for multiple reasons) and Philly has so many picks for yrs.
        Im basing this idea on not wanting to attach a 1st to Carroll but I'm more agreeable if it yields two 2nds in the 30s. I'd hope to get Evans and maybe semi or Bolden, etc.
        The magic also have multiple picks in this range and we just got one of their 2nds.
        Thoughts?

        Comment


        • ball4life wrote: View Post
          He worked out for bucks bulls and nets. Celtics were intrigued. Supposedly, he wanted a promise in the 20s at least. He's projected to be mid lottery next year.
          Ty. If Nets passed then I think I'm ok with it.

          Comment


          • ball4life wrote: View Post
            Semi sounds good in most aspects. But the biggest/ most important issue with him is his terrible BBIQ. Showed up worse in a team setting. Admittedly I didn't watch any of the games he played in. If anything this Raptors team need more it would be personnel to play team ball. Semi would rank dead last in that aspect.

            Look at a guy like McGee, has all the attributes he needs to be an elite centre in the league like a Rudy Gobert. But never really developed his BBIQ and ultimately became a journeyman fool.

            But then again, where we are picking we are bound to find guys with major flaws but check out other boxes. If the team trust their player development and D-League management, I won't mind taking a shot on him; but if you are gonna take that risk you might as well take that risk on guy with more upside than Semi.
            All this stuff about upside is overrated. I don't take much stock in age, BBIQ. The kid could be 18 but, really doesn't matter if he doesn't have the work ethic. BBIQ is also something that can be learned if your willing to put in the work. All those reasons are exactly why Norm Powell fell.

            Give me a guy with tools you can't teach. Athleticism, work ethic, and length. I'm good with that. Especially in the 20's.

            Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Thu May 25th, 2017, 04:14 PM.
            @Chr1st1anL

            Comment


            • lewro wrote: View Post
              What if we traded Carroll and #23 pick to Philly for #39 and #36 and maybe a sweeter like a future 2nd or 2nd swap rights? Other sweetener options could be the rights to the Turkish kid they drafted last yr, sauce Castillo, splitter, roco. We also have cojo to make a bigger deal.
              I just threw a lot of shit at the fan but a few things: I'm not sure I'm sold on anyone guy at 23 but there are a few upside and safe guys that I like in the 30s. Hard to move Carroll and Philly is one of the few teams that could be a landing spot (for multiple reasons) and Philly has so many picks for yrs.
              Im basing this idea on not wanting to attach a 1st to Carroll but I'm more agreeable if it yields two 2nds in the 30s. I'd hope to get Evans and maybe semi or Bolden, etc.
              The magic also have multiple picks in this range and we just got one of their 2nds.
              Thoughts?
              Masai is going to pick who he wants at 23rd doesn't matter if they were ranked in second round. Bruno and Siakam are prime examples of that

              Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
              @Chr1st1anL

              Comment


              • lewro wrote: View Post
                What if we traded Carroll and #23 pick to Philly for #39 and #36 and maybe a sweeter like a future 2nd or 2nd swap rights? Other sweetener options could be the rights to the Turkish kid they drafted last yr, sauce Castillo, splitter, roco. We also have cojo to make a bigger deal.
                I just threw a lot of shit at the fan but a few things: I'm not sure I'm sold on anyone guy at 23 but there are a few upside and safe guys that I like in the 30s. Hard to move Carroll and Philly is one of the few teams that could be a landing spot (for multiple reasons) and Philly has so many picks for yrs.
                Im basing this idea on not wanting to attach a 1st to Carroll but I'm more agreeable if it yields two 2nds in the 30s. I'd hope to get Evans and maybe semi or Bolden, etc.
                The magic also have multiple picks in this range and we just got one of their 2nds.
                Thoughts?
                Like that idea a lot. I doubt we'd get two picks back, probably more like trading down from 23 to mid-30's to shed salary. I'd be good with that. The key is getting cheap talent in the system, and this 2017 draft seems to have a huge spread in projected draft order outside the lotto, right deep into the 2nd round, so the guy Masai would pick at 23 may well still be there in the 30's.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

                Comment


                • ball4life wrote: View Post
                  Semi sounds good in most aspects. But the biggest/ most important issue with him is his terrible BBIQ. Showed up worse in a team setting. Admittedly I didn't watch any of the games he played in. If anything this Raptors team need more it would be personnel to play team ball. Semi would rank dead last in that aspect.

                  Look at a guy like McGee, has all the attributes he needs to be an elite centre in the league like a Rudy Gobert. But never really developed his BBIQ and ultimately became a journeyman fool.

                  But then again, where we are picking we are bound to find guys with major flaws but check out other boxes. If the team trust their player development and D-League management, I won't mind taking a shot on him; but if you are gonna take that risk you might as well take that risk on guy with more upside than Semi.
                  I agree with this. I only watched their one game in the tourney but iirc he did make one or two boneheaded plays that seem like a pattern in his DX video. He did have to carry SMU and I think he would be much better as a role player on the raps but that's not worth #23 pick to me. Like I see Delon as a potential starter with a role player floor. Semi is a role player with an out of the league floor imo. I'd feel much better about taking him in the 30s, especially if we had a 2nd pick in that range to take a safe pick like Evans or a flyer like Bolden.
                  Taking leaf at 23 and buying a late 2nd to take Bolden or another upside guy is something id consider too.

                  Comment


                  • DanH wrote: View Post
                    Like that idea a lot. I doubt we'd get two picks back, probably more like trading down from 23 to mid-30's to shed salary. I'd be good with that. The key is getting cheap talent in the system, and this 2017 draft seems to have a huge spread in projected draft order outside the lotto, right deep into the 2nd round, so the guy Masai would pick at 23 may well still be there in the 30's.
                    Be still my heart, I agree with Dan!

                    Yeah, I'm a little more greedy that two picks is very important to me in this deal.

                    What is happening with splitter? I've lost track of him. Spoiler, I'm angling to get rid of JV. Now Dan disagrees with me and the world shifts back on axis.

                    Comment


                    • What do you guys think of DJ Wilson from Michigan? He played the wing in high school. A bit old since he red-shirted a year, but looks like he's figured things out. Maybe too soft to play the 4 full-time, but can stretch things and has athleticism. More importantly, he has legit length and height. Thoughts?

                      Comment


                      • I'm hoping Masai can swing a deal to trade up in the draft. Say CoJo + 23rd to move up to the 10-15 range.

                        Why? Because if you look at some of the great young 2-way wing players in the league, many of them were drafted after 10th: Kawhi (15), PG (10), Butler (30), Klay (11), Giannis (15). Small sample size, yes and maybe it's just a recent bubble, but it looks like those type of players are where you can steal a truly elite player towards the end of the lottery. These are also the type of players that make a big difference in the playoffs.

                        Comment


                        • golden wrote: View Post
                          I'm hoping Masai can swing a deal to trade up in the draft. Say CoJo + 23rd to move up to the 10-15 range.

                          Why? Because if you look at some of the great young 2-way wing players in the league, many of them were drafted after 10th: Kawhi (15), PG (10), Butler (30), Klay (11), Giannis (15). Small sample size, yes and maybe it's just a recent bubble, but it looks like those type of players are where you can steal a truly elite player towards the end of the lottery. These are also the type of players that make a big difference in the playoffs.
                          Can't imagine it would be that cheap to move up. CoJo only has one year left before his player option, so won't have a ton of trade value. Easy enough to get rid of, but not with that sort of return. Usually moving up requires multiple 1st's, plus a prospect or additional 2nd rounder. If we still had 23 + 25 and could throw in that Orlando 2nd rounder, we might be able to get up to 15.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

                          Comment


                          • DanH wrote: View Post
                            Can't imagine it would be that cheap to move up. CoJo only has one year left before his player option, so won't have a ton of trade value. Easy enough to get rid of, but not with that sort of return. Usually moving up requires multiple 1st's, plus a prospect or additional 2nd rounder. If we still had 23 + 25 and could throw in that Orlando 2nd rounder, we might be able to get up to 15.
                            Not sure how we can make a blanket statement that CoJo doesn't have a ton of trade value. I was thinking along the lines of the George Hill to Indiana trade that netted the Kawhi pick (15th overall). Spurs only sent Hill and got back 15th. CoJo has pretty comparable raw stats as Hill did at the time, and Hill was also in the last year of his contract - and the receiving team would have Bird rights.

                            CoJo has built himself into an NBA rotation player, at least equivalent to a mid-late first rounder, so the idea here is that CoJo + Raps 23rd is equivalent to 2 first round picks. It's a much better deal for receiving team than the Hill deal. Only caveat is that the market for PGs is probably more saturated than it was back then, but still, Joseph is now a proven player on a playoff team.

                            Comment


                            • golden wrote: View Post
                              Not sure how we can make a blanket statement that CoJo doesn't have a ton of trade value. I was thinking along the lines of the George Hill to Indiana trade that netted the Kawhi pick (15th overall). Spurs only sent Hill and got back 15th. CoJo has pretty comparable raw stats as Hill did at the time, and Hill was also in the last year of his contract - and the receiving team would have Bird rights.

                              CoJo has built himself into an NBA rotation player, at least equivalent to a mid-late first rounder, so the idea here is that CoJo + Raps 23rd is equivalent to 2 first round picks. It's a much better deal for receiving team than the Hill deal. Only caveat is that the market for PGs is probably more saturated than it was back then, but still, Joseph is now a proven player on a playoff team.
                              Hey, if anyone can do it, it's Masai. I'm not getting my hopes up though.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

                              Comment


                              • Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                Masai is going to pick who he wants at 23rd doesn't matter if they were ranked in second round. Bruno and Siakam are prime examples of that

                                Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                                Didn't see this before.
                                I agree. I'm just spit balling ideas that suit my interests. Masai could go lots of directions, including trading out. However, he has stayed in range with yak, Delon and norm too - he doesn't always go off-board. Also, every draft is different. I think there's particularly good value in the middle of the draft this yr and that could be bc there's such a strong freshman class at the top. Who knows?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X