Everything 2016/17 NBA Draft Thread aka Thank Nation 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    I like the idea of moving up, but only if a guy Masai really, really likes is available. Kind of like the year he tried hard to trade into the draft to grab Giannis. It might just be a recent blip, but it has been possible to find elite players later in the draft, picking 10th or later: Butler, Klay, Giannis, PG, IT, Kawhi. 10 to 15 would be ideal.
    IT was actually picked last but yeah I hear you. I just think that we have the parts to replace JV. I mentioned MKG in a different forum. I don't know if we could also get their 11 but thats ok.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      If we can nab multiple 2nds in a Carroll dump with our 1st, that's pretty good.
      Could you imagine this board's reaction should the Raptors trade Carroll and 23 to the Sixers for 36 and 39, and end up drafting, say Semi and Kurucs - think the board will crash with excitement.

In taking a look through the various mock drafts (there's some truly unlikely mocks out there - one has OG going 39th (!)), it seems that there's a high degree of variability in ranking once you get past the top 10 or so, so I would expect to see a lot of people being drafted significantly higher and lower than various mock drafts.

I think it will come down to what changes to the offensive and defensive systems that Masai wants to implement - if he's wanting a more up-tempo offense that will allow players to penetrate/slash before the defense gets set up, that may mean different players than if he wants a team that leans more draw-and-kick out to dead-eye three point shooters, is there going to be an emphasis on players who can guard/rotate to play defense against multiple positions, etc.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        New DX Mock has us taking Terrennce Ferguson. My boy Semi back in the first round. Going to the Nets at 27. My other guy Dillon Brooks has fallen to 45th though.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
        Why is Semi falling if all the reviews have been positive? Strange.

Never heard mention of Ferguson before DX had Raps taking him. If it's one thing the Raps have recent experience with it's developing (or attempting to) skinny athletic guards with (mostly) questionable handles - DeMar, Ross, Powell, Wright. At least he seems to be able to shoot. (are Raps fans ready for another Terry though?)

Chad Ford has them taking Jonathan Jeanne - which feels close to a Bebe/Poeltl retread. Though watching him move his feet on perimeter defense is pretty impressive.
        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
          Why is Semi falling if all the reviews have been positive? Strange.

Never heard mention of Ferguson before DX had Raps taking him. If it's one thing the Raps have recent experience with it's developing (or attempting to) skinny athletic guards with (mostly) questionable handles - DeMar, Ross, Powell, Wright. At least he seems to be able to shoot. (are Raps fans ready for another Terry though?)

Chad Ford has them taking Jonathan Jeanne - which feels close to a Bebe/Poeltl retread. Though watching him move his feet on perimeter defense is pretty impressive.

Semi was in the first round before the combine but, than fell to the second round after combine. Since than he's been killing his workouts I guess which has him back in the first round.

I love the way Jeanne moves his feet. I was huge fan of his last year but, he ended up taking his name out. 7 footers that can move thier feet like that dont grow on trees. If Masai going for upside than Jeanne has to be the pick. No one in that range has a higher ceilling than him.

If the draft him I could see Bebe being packaged with Carroll.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
            Could you imagine this board's reaction should the Raptors trade Carroll and 23 to the Sixers for 36 and 39, and end up drafting, say Semi and Kurucs - think the board will crash with excitement.

In taking a look through the various mock drafts (there's some truly unlikely mocks out there - one has OG going 39th (!)), it seems that there's a high degree of variability in ranking once you get past the top 10 or so, so I would expect to see a lot of people being drafted significantly higher and lower than various mock drafts.

I think it will come down to what changes to the offensive and defensive systems that Masai wants to implement - if he's wanting a more up-tempo offense that will allow players to penetrate/slash before the defense gets set up, that may mean different players than if he wants a team that leans more draw-and-kick out to dead-eye three point shooters, is there going to be an emphasis on players who can guard/rotate to play defense against multiple positions, etc.
            The only combo that would make me crash with excitement is if we traded down yet by some fluke/miracle OG and Bolden/Hartenstein were available and we took them. Realistically I would be pretty damn excited if we ended up with Bolden and one of Anigbogu, Semi, Bam or Evans in the 2nd round and fairly content if it was just some combination of Anigbogu, Semi, Evans, Bam or Jeanne.

As for the conversation of Jeanne being like Bebe/Poeltl...Jeanne's upside is much higher than either player. He is much quicker and athletic than Bebe and a lot longer than Poeltl. He has a ton of potential but is fairly awkward at this point. Not quite "Bruno raw" because he has shown the ability to rebound and block shots but he does need to develop his game for sure.

A guy I almost forgot about that I mentioned much earlier in thread that could be decent is Justin Patton who is another player I wouldn't mind in the 2nd rd.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
              The only combo that would make me crash with excitement is if we traded down yet by some fluke/miracle OG and Bolden/Hartenstein were available and we took them. Realistically I would be pretty damn excited if we ended up with Bolden and one of Anigbogu, Semi, Bam or Evans in the 2nd round and fairly content if it was just some combination of Anigbogu, Semi, Evans, Bam or Jeanne.

As for the conversation of Jeanne being like Bebe/Poeltl...Jeanne's upside is much higher than either player. He is much quicker and athletic than Bebe and a lot longer than Poeltl. He has a ton of potential but is fairly awkward at this point. Not quite "Bruno raw" because he has shown the ability to rebound and block shots but he does need to develop his game for sure.

A guy I almost forgot about that I mentioned much earlier in thread that could be decent is Justin Patton who is another player I wouldn't mind in the 2nd rd.
              I do agree that Jeanne's upside is probably much higher, and also that he looks a little awkward. But I suppose the Raps needs to take who they think will be the best player and they can't rule anyone out just because they have 2 players at the same position who also need time to develop more (though Bebe has seemingly plateaued - and that goes for PG's too). Just seems like you can get caught in a loop, drafting a guy on potential and trading away other players who haven't hit theirs yet (not everyone can be ready as quickly as Norm was).

I too like Justin Patton - though yeah he's another C. DX has him going 19th though. He gets high on lobs, very long, can finish with either hand on the move.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Jonathan Jeanne is in today for a workout by the way.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Speaking of workouts, don't know if this has been posted, but Ben Falk on his most excellent website wrote about them a week ago.

https://cleaningtheglass.com/working-out-workouts/
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• I could see ntilikina sliding out of the top 10 and fitting a masai type player mold: he's 6'6 with 7' wingspan, excellent defender, bball w/o borders stud @ryerson, and his big flaw is shooting. Assuming Lowry resigns, we don't need a pg, but hypothetically if ntilikina is legit, then you could flip Lowry within a yr for a very good return at a position of need.
                    I know this is far fetched but I like a sleeper and masai has a tendency to do the unexpected, particularly at the draft.

Comment

• Per Rotoworld, the Kings may be looking to package #5 and #10 to move higher in the draft in order to select De'Aaron Fox

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        Just throwing a name out there, but anyone know anything about Mathias Lessort? Seems really raw, but size and athleticism is Paul George like. I can see someone taking a chance on a project like him.

Edit: He's represented by Wasserman which doesn't mean anything, but I thought I recall there was a thread here saying Masai had a connection to them.
                        And he's starting to climb up on draft boards...DX anyway, lol.

Comment

• Kasey Hill, Guard, 6-1, Florida

Troy Caupain, Guard, 6-4, Cincinnati

Nigel Hayes, Forward, 6-7, Wisconsin

Kyle Kuzma, Forward, 6-8, Utah

Ike Anigbogu, Forward, 6-10, UCLA

Jonathan Jeanne, Forward, 7-1, France

Today's workout is probably the best, if not the 2nd best, group on paper so far.

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                            Per Rotoworld, the Kings may be looking to package #5 and #10 to move higher in the draft in order to select De'Aaron Fox
                            Kings gonna King I guess - never mind there's a good shot that Fox is still available at 5, but they'll be almost certainly able to draft Dennis Smith or Frank Ntilikina at 10 if Fox goes earlier, and also they would have the #5 for Jayson Tatum or Lauri Markannen, but why have two great young players when you can have one?

Comment

• Jonathan Jeanne just got diagnosed with Marfan syndrome, the same medical condition that took Isaiah Austin (Baylor) out of his draft year. Sounds like Jeanne will not be able to be drafted due to health issues.

Jeanne worked out for the Raptors yesterday.

Sucks, but glad he was able to be diagnosed and can be healthier in the long run.

https://sports.yahoo.com/first-round...233438983.html

On the plus side, Austin was just cleared to resume basketball in December, a little over 2.5 years after his initial diagnosis.
                              http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                                Jonathan Jeanne just got diagnosed with Marfan syndrome, the same medical condition that took Isaiah Austin (Baylor) out of his draft year. Sounds like Jeanne will not be able to be drafted due to health issues.

Jeanne worked out for the Raptors yesterday.

Sucks, but glad he was able to be diagnosed and can be healthier in the long run.

https://sports.yahoo.com/first-round...233438983.html

On the plus side, Austin was just cleared to resume basketball in December, a little over 2.5 years after his initial diagnosis.
                                Damn. That's awful for him. Terrible news.

Comment

Working...
                                X