Everything 2016/17 NBA Draft Thread aka Thank Nation 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Clips just lost their 5th in a row, blown out by the Rockets 140-116. 3 teams now are only 1 game back.

Some funny Rox #s. Anderson and Nene started and combined for 11 pts. Harden had 30, but was a -1.
    The big man was Montrezl Harrell off the bench with 29 pts and +38. I'm guessing those are both career highs.
    We just need the Jazz and OKC to go on a bit of a winning streak, also hate to say it but the Celtics are also starting to look pretty good with Thomas back so there is a chance they can pass the Clips.

I just don't want them to slide so much that they think of tanking....I mean BOTH CP3 and Blake are FAs this off season
    Last edited by JamesNaismith; Sat Dec 31, 2016, 12:17 AM.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
      I just don't want them to slide so much that they think of tanking....I mean BOTH CP3 and Blake are FAs this off season
      Not gonna happen as long as Doc is there, I wonder why he isn't on hot seat though, only rumors I heard about firing coach was Hoidberg, I guess being President (same goes with SVG) gets the process much harder to do.

Comment

• The Clippers at worst will end up 7th in the West and be a playoff team.. actually not a bad place for them to be in as they beat the Spurs last year in the playoffs. Assuming they are 7th in the West and Celtics end up with a better record over all.. that could be the 20th or 21st pick in the draft.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          The Clippers at worst will end up 7th in the West and be a playoff team.. actually not a bad place for them to be in as they beat the Spurs last year in the playoffs. Assuming they are 7th in the West and Celtics end up with a better record over all.. that could be the 20th or 21st pick in the draft.
          Wishful thinking unless CP3 will be on the shelf for long extended time. I on the other hand would love to have 2 picks in a row own to the Raptors. In the first pick you can play it safe and picked BPA, followed by some really raw player with high potential.

Comment

• Example 2014 draft if we had 2 picks in first round we picking Rodney Hood (BPA) followed by Capela (raw with upside) and we avoid the crazy overreaching rawer then raw Bruno.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
              Wishful thinking unless CP3 will be on the shelf for long extended time. I on the other hand would love to have 2 picks in a row own to the Raptors. In the first pick you can play it safe and picked BPA, followed by some really raw player with high potential.
              That might be what Masai does.. last year he took Poeltl as his BPA. And then drafted Siakam because that's the guy he wanted. Both were older though. Poeltl was 20 (now 21) and Siakam was and is 22. I don't think he's going to make another "Bruno" pick unless he wants to do a draft and stash.

Although BPA in the 20's is hard to gauge. Most mocks change radically once you get to the 10th pick or higher.

Comment

• So the Clippers lost their 6th in a row! And are now tied with Memphis for 6th/7th in the West. Their January schedule looks pretty soft though.

Comment

That might be what Masai does.. last year he took Poeltl as his BPA. And then drafted Siakam because that's the guy he wanted. Both were older though. Poeltl was 20 (now 21) and Siakam was and is 22. I don't think he's going to make another "Bruno" pick unless he wants to do a draft and stash.

Although BPA in the 20's is hard to gauge. Most mocks change radically once you get to the 10th pick or higher.
                  If and it's a big if, the Raptors use both first round picks in 2017 for themselves then at least one is a reach pick. It seems about the right timing as Bruno will be in his "Fish or cut bait" year. Plus with the new CBA MU has additional incentive to take a flyer pick especially as the odds are ,with such low draft positions now and for the foreseeable future, these two choices won't likely amount to much (I'm looking at the odds here).

Comment

• Syracuse is getting rocked by Boston College. Yup.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                      Syracuse is getting rocked by Boston College. Yup.
                      Crap - that means that Matt will be needling Leo all throughout the broadcast

Comment

BPA in the 20's is a often a backup player, unless you are picking for a couple of years down the line where you should overreach a bit and hope that player matures into a steal. Siakam is that player that happened to be the bit of both of an overreach and BPA so it's looking like a solid pick.

That Bruno pick was madness by Masai, he missed out on getting a draft pick and selecting Giannis in 2013 ( the best player in that draft, future all star) so he decided to grab another raw long player in 2014 and hoped to duplicate Giannis, but it turned out to be a major fail as Bruno doesn't even come close.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                          BPA in the 20's is a often a backup player, unless you are picking for a couple of years down the line where you should overreach a bit and hope that player matures into a steal. Siakam is that player that happened to be the bit of both of an overreach and BPA so it's looking like a solid pick.

That Bruno pick was madness by Masai, he missed out on getting a draft pick and selecting Giannis in 2013 ( the best player in that draft, future all star) so he decided to grab another raw long player in 2014 and hoped to duplicate Giannis, but it turned out to be a major fail as Bruno doesn't even come close.
                          We should have packaged our picks to get Chriss....that kid has star potential and would have been a perfect fit. The kid can fly in for alley oops and nail a 3. He's so young but can see he is developing his handles as well. We MAJORLY missed out and trust me we're going to see that in about 2 or so years.

Hopefully we learn from that and if we like someone a few spots up (ie/ OG) we better package those picks and get him!

Comment

We should have packaged our picks to get Chriss....that kid has star potential and would have been a perfect fit. The kid can fly in for alley oops and nail a 3. He's so young but can see he is developing his handles as well. We MAJORLY missed out and trust me we're going to see that in about 2 or so years.

Hopefully we learn from that and if we like someone a few spots up (ie/ OG) we better package those picks and get him!
                            I don't know where you see his star potential so far. He was the biggest boom or bust prospect of the draft and he hasn't proven anything yet. To me he reminds me of Derrick Williams, he will have so high flying dunks but he is too much of a tweener to become a star.

Comment

• slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
                              I don't know where you see his star potential so far. He was the biggest boom or bust prospect of the draft and he hasn't proven anything yet. To me he reminds me of Derrick Williams, he will have so high flying dunks but he is too much of a tweener to become a star.
                              What?! lol

Have you been watching him so far?? He's already shown more than Williams has in his career and he's barely getting PT yet. Williams has just been good for an alleyoop and pretty much nothing else. He's already had multiple double doubles, is a better shotblocker and shooter. Not to mention I think he was the youngest player in the draft just turning 19 this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdTtqtHZudw" data-vcode="SdTtqtHZudw" data-vprovider="youtube" >

Again only 19 years old and won't even be 20 until next year...just wait in a few years as he continues to develop his skills, shot and overall understanding of the game. The kid only started playing basketball at 14 y/o or something, scary to think he's already got himself to the point of being good enough to be a lottery pick, I hope you remember doubting him so much this early on.
                              Last edited by JamesNaismith; Mon Jan 2, 2017, 03:20 AM.

Comment

What?! lol

Have you been watching him so far?? He's already shown more than Williams has in his career and he's barely getting PT yet. Williams has just been good for an alleyoop and pretty much nothing else. He's already had multiple double doubles, is a better shotblocker and shooter. Not to mention I think he was the youngest player in the draft just turning 19 this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdTtqtHZudw" data-vcode=" SdTtqtHZudw" data-vprovider="youtube" >

Again only 19 years old and won't even be 20 until next year...just wait in a few years as he continues to develop his skills, shot and overall understanding of the game. The kid only started playing basketball at 14 y/o or something, scary to think he's already got himself to the point of being good enough to be a lottery pick, I hope you remember doubting him so much this early on.
                                The video isn't playing.

He is starting for the suns now and averaging about 20 mins a game but his stats are pretty atrocious.

7 ppg 3.3 rpg 0.5 bpg 0.5 spg on .427/.310/.596

He is also averaging almost 3 fouls per game in just under 20 mins.

If you look at any efficiency or adv stat he is ranked in last 10 among power forwards. It's only been 34 games so I'm not saying he is a bust but their is little evidence to suggest that he will become a star and so far to me he has looked like a derrick williams or tyrus thomas, an athletic 4 that can jump out of the building but doesn't do much else.

Comment

Working...
                                X