No announcement yet.

Everything 2016/17 NBA Draft Thread aka Thank Nation 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just heard Anunoby is getting knee surgery and will be out well into the pre draft process.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...181622991.html

He was a projected lotto pick, so maybe this means that means that he will slide to mid 20s and the Raps? Also obviously puts up some red flags.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
      Just heard Anunoby is getting knee surgery and will be out well into the pre draft process.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...181622991.html

He was a projected lotto pick, so maybe this means that means that he will slide to mid 20s and the Raps? Also obviously puts up some red flags.
      Guess we need to hope LAC looses enough (Paul's and Blake's injuries) to raise the Raptor's pick from LAC no higher than 15th (protected 1-14) and he drops into that range or lower. The Raptor's medical staff have lots of knee rehabilitation experience.

Comment

• Could be a good gamble to take on considering we have two picks.. but knee injuries can be tough.

Comment

• If OG falls to us, he's an obvious pick

Comment

• Really hope that if we don't make any deals at the deadline, we package our picks to move up like Phoenix did last year for Chriss. Identify who our prime target is, and aggressively pursue a deal.

Two more late round picks are just going to add to the logjam we already have... Poeltl/Siakam/Wright rarely see the floor as it is. Much rather put our resources into one high-upside talent we can groom rather than dilute our resources across four or five role players.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
              Really hope that if we don't make any deals at the deadline, we package our picks to move up like Phoenix did last year for Chriss. Identify who our prime target is, and aggressively pursue a deal.

Two more late round picks are just going to add to the logjam we already have... Poeltl/Siakam/Wright rarely see the floor as it is. Much rather put our resources into one high-upside talent we can groom rather than dilute our resources across four or five role players.
              Well unless packaging our picks allows us to move into position to draft Markannen or possibly Isaac I wouldn't want us to package both because I really don't think once those 2 are off the board (which is likely the 9-12 range) that there is that much talent discrepency after and of course packaging them won't get us into the top 8.

Especially given that the Clips pick now has a good chance to drop into late teens or early 20s, I'm fairly confident one of Bridges, Giles, OG or Bolden will be there and then we could have chance to add another player Hartenstein and at worst Evans or Jeanne. That's a damn good haul and all of those players have a chance to be more than "role players". One idea I would be open to though is packaging one or a couple of Wright, Poeltl or Siakam to move up our own pick. I think with the knee injury there is now a very good chance we can get OG with the Clips pick if we packaged our 2nd first rdr with one or couple of those guys to then get one of Bridges, Giles, Bolden or Bam...this would be an AMAZING draft for us.

...and just as aside I think the only scenario we should even consider trading either pick is to move up or get a player that caliber of Cousins or better like PG, not Millsap. I'd do Ross and Patterson for him and nothing further. Sap ain't getting us through CLE and when PHI develops over the next 3-4 years (if healthy) they are going to absolutely dominate unless we we smart in this draft.

Comment

• I just wanna say if healthy PHI after this draft will have the foundation to absolutely dominate the East in 3-4 years time....

Just thinking how with their own pick they could come out with one of Fultz, Ball, DS Jr and Jackson then if they get the Lakers pick they could possibly get Monk, Markannen or Isaac

Fultz
                Korkmaz
                Simmons
                Markannen
                Embiid

They would have their entire careers together. We better pray we can get OG and somehow get Giles, Bolden or Hartenstein and fluke into Peter Jok in the 2nd rd....when LBJ finally slows down in a few years, an even worse beast (collectively) is going to emerge. We better draft smart.
                Last edited by JamesNaismith; Sat Jan 21, 2017, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                  Well unless packaging our picks allows us to move into position to draft Markannen or possibly Isaac I wouldn't want us to package both because I really don't think once those 2 are off the board (which is likely the 9-12 range) that there is that much talent discrepency after and of course packaging them won't get us into the top 8.

Especially given that the Clips pick now has a good chance to drop into late teens or early 20s, I'm fairly confident one of Bridges, Giles, OG or Bolden will be there and then we could have chance to add another player Hartenstein and at worst Evans or Jeanne. That's a damn good haul and all of those players have a chance to be more than "role players". One idea I would be open to though is packaging one or a couple of Wright, Poeltl or Siakam to move up our own pick. I think with the knee injury there is now a very good chance we can get OG with the Clips pick if we packaged our 2nd first rdr with one or couple of those guys to then get one of Bridges, Giles, Bolden or Bam...this would be an AMAZING draft for us.

...and just as aside I think the only scenario we should even consider trading either pick is to move up or get a player that caliber of Cousins or better like PG, not Millsap. I'd do Ross and Patterson for him and nothing further. Sap ain't getting us through CLE and when PHI develops over the next 3-4 years (if healthy) they are going to absolutely dominate unless we we smart in this draft.
                  Well then you are totally overvaluing a late first round pick, and are borderline delusional if you think either pick or even both can get us into a conversation about Cousins or PG.

Kyle Korver netted a late first, Markieff Morris netted a late lottery. We'd be very lucky to get Millsap and his bird rights for a late first.

As for packaging both picks, Blake is back so that Clips pick might land in the low 20s. It cost Phoenix the 28th pick to move up five spots last year.

Hoarding both picks could be the difference between having a Poeltl and a Siakam, and having a Chriss.

This exact same thing happened last year with the Knicks pick, and that was a much more valuable pick than the Clippers one. People totally overvalued it, the top 8 went where they were expected to, and we ended up with a third-string center.

You have to give value to get value.

Comment

• Jaron Blossomgame has Raptors written all over him. D first, athletic and fits a need at 3/4. I think he will be a pick with at least one of the picks.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Really like Justin Jackson as well.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Jackson's stock has risen. I liked him last yr. He was projected 2nd Rd. I am lukewarm on him in the late first.
                        I'd like Evans with our pick and I have a few guys in mind depending where the clips pick land. 22 or better would be great. 15-19 look fantastic value but I haven't had time to delve into NCAA this yr. Not sure I want both picks if they're 25thish. Evans is the only guy there that I really like but PG is not a position of need atm.
                        Of course, we will take at least one BWB guy so there's that. Seems Masai has looked at hartenstein from that camp.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                          Jackson's stock has risen. I liked him last yr. He was projected 2nd Rd. I am lukewarm on him in the late first.
                          I'd like Evans with our pick and I have a few guys in mind depending where the clips pick land. 22 or better would be great. 15-19 look fantastic value but I haven't had time to delve into NCAA this yr. Not sure I want both picks if they're 25thish. Evans is the only guy there that I really like but PG is not a position of need atm.
                          Of course, we will take at least one BWB guy so there's that. Seems Masai has looked at hartenstein from that camp.
                          Hartenstein was at the BWB camp held in Toronto during last year all-star weekend.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                            Well then you are totally overvaluing a late first round pick, and are borderline delusional if you think either pick or even both can get us into a conversation about Cousins or PG.

Kyle Korver netted a late first, Markieff Morris netted a late lottery. We'd be very lucky to get Millsap and his bird rights for a late first.

As for packaging both picks, Blake is back so that Clips pick might land in the low 20s. It cost Phoenix the 28th pick to move up five spots last year.

Hoarding both picks could be the difference between having a Poeltl and a Siakam, and having a Chriss.

This exact same thing happened last year with the Knicks pick, and that was a much more valuable pick than the Clippers one. People totally overvalued it, the top 8 went where they were expected to, and we ended up with a third-string center.

You have to give value to get value.
                            If anything it shows quite the opposite and how you are undervaluing our picks especially in light of a hypothetical scenario where we get Millsap..

1. The second we have to re-sign Lowry and him this summer we go into the luxury tax and will be facing repeater's tax in subsequent years so it will be VERY important to be able to find inexpensive ways to fill out the roster with decent talent (ie/ with draft picks). In the proposed trade that I responded to (Powell, Ross, 1st + Sully) we immediately lose our back ups at SG and SF (which is already a terrible position in the line up for us) and that means we still have Patt which is great for one year but you're out of your mind if you think MLSE is going DEEP into luxury tax to retain him with KL & Sap. So from there we would be incredibly thin for depth at nearly EVERY position except PG and it's not like we have the next Curry or Westbrook being groomed to take over but moving along...

2. You are totally undervaluing picks in THIS year's draft in particular. Comparing it to last year's is a joke....I think you could make a legit arguement (if you actually followed this draft) that this year a player like Chriss would be LUCKY to go top 15, I could very easily see him fall near 18-20 in this one. To put it in further perspective I absolutely believe Poeltl would be drafted in the 20s yet just a year ago he's #9. A pick in the late teens to 20s this year is much different than most years. I could easily rattle off 17-20 names that I would take over either of those two right now...

I would also say that while it's nice for the Clips to have Blake back, a lot of their success will actually be dependent on how well Felton and Rivers can offset the lose of Paul which over 6-8 weeks I don't expect to happen. Blake is a good player and all but before CP3 the Clippers were a bottom of the barrel lottery team and I do believe of course that Blake and Jordan are better players since then but they are nowhere near the level as a team they are with CP3. It's like the Cavs would be without LBJ, still fairly good I suppose but not near what they are with either guy. I totally expect that pick to get better but I guess we shall see.
                            Last edited by JamesNaismith; Sun Jan 22, 2017, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Jaron Blossomgame has Raptors written all over him. D first, athletic and fits a need at 3/4. I think he will be a pick with at least one of the picks.

I admit he does remind me of that but I sure hope not. He plays good defence but not level of someone like Powell and his offensive game is horribly limited. He plays far more like an unskilled PF than anything but his athleticism allows him to catch lobs or do straight line drives to the basket. He has made a big improvement in his shooting but if you look at his mechanics he actually releases the ball quite low around his face so I think he'll have a much harder time making them in the NBA and he is poor off the dribble. There are a lot of other players I rather take a flyer on over Blossomgame.

But I do agree with and lewro that I think Masai does have an eye on Hartenstein. He was spotted scouting him a couple of times if I recall correctly and the kid has a ton of potential with his combination of shooting, passing and length.

Comment

• Yeah, there's footage of hartenstein at BWB at ryerson.
                                I'm not sure where chriss and yak would fall in this draft bc it's so PG heavy. I'd say they both were in the mix with rabb last yr and rabb is 15th on DX so they might fall in there. Bam and Giles are certainly fallen so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X