Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djsunyc
    replied
    we also overhelp imho. on weakside and strong side, we have defenders leave their man to help in the paint but then when the ball swings around, our defender is trying to recover which lets the guy drive right by him.

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    KHD wrote: View Post
    there isn't a trade that's going to make our defence so much better that it becomes our strength, because there's something wrong at the very basic level: nobody on this team is keeping anyone in front of them on the perimeter.

Obviously JV is not cleaning up messes as effectively as biyombo, but honestly at this point i dont think it would even matter, because not even Tim Duncan could clean up the shitty perimeter defence being played on this team right now. guys who were good last year are getting beaten on straight line drives on almost every possession. It would be fantastic if valanciunas had better timing but it still wouldn't be enough.
    Yep, and our p'n'r coverage is still awful after the initial help on the screen. Anyone notice how all our bigs got shredded on it last night against the Hawks? Pat and Bebe's mobility didn't help in the slightest. And that's not really on them. You need to defend it as a team and if rotations don't happen it literally doesn't matter how quick you are.

Also we are still going over the screen so much more than we should it's stupid. Schroder shoots a solid 3% but he's at his best penetrating. We even went over it on Bazemore at least a couple of times...he shoots a whopping 28% from 3. That's just not right.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• KHD
    replied
    there isn't a trade that's going to make our defence so much better that it becomes our strength, because there's something wrong at the very basic level: nobody on this team is keeping anyone in front of them on the perimeter.

Obviously JV is not cleaning up messes as effectively as biyombo, but honestly at this point i dont think it would even matter, because not even Tim Duncan could clean up the shitty perimeter defence being played on this team right now. guys who were good last year are getting beaten on straight line drives on almost every possession. It would be fantastic if valanciunas had better timing but it still wouldn't be enough.

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    Just because the "traders are D inclined" doesn't mean that the readers interested in discussing the defence are interested in trades. Keep it in the trade appropriate threads please.

Leave a comment:

• lewro
    replied
    I'm putting this here bc i think many of the traders are also D inclined.

I'd like to make a case for RoCo. He's 3.1 drpm. #2 SF on D, #7 at any position in the league on D. He can guard multiple positions. Played pf last yr 73% of the time. Hes a good Dreb and his career 3% is decent, he seems to be chucking a lot this yr but I think he'd be fine in our roster with less usage. 6'9 215lbs 25 yrs old $1m per yr with next yr team option.
    Phillys forward rotations are an absolute mess and it only gets worse when simmons comes back. He will be 3/4 on D. And so is saric, plus Hollis at the 3.
    Demarre is .33 drpm, #27 SF. He has much less experience at pf and his rebounding is down. His career 3% is slightly higher than roco but generally he seems a damaged version of his ATL self. Roco seems more like the player that we thought we had bought.
    No need to make the case for noel, I know I've already sold you!
    Delon is coming back and we can't find room for norm either. Sully is coming back too. So:

Carroll + Delon + 1st for noel + roco.

We save $10m that helps us resign lowry, pat and noel (I'd be disappointed if we don't go into the luxury at this point anyway).

I think we'd have a lot more flexibility in the front court. Both roco and noel are tweeners and vets that bring some experience we lack in siakam and bebe.

Philly is not gonna like this deal but they're fucked. Carroll still saves them one yr and around 30m on Crabbe which is their best offer. They are well below the cap ceiling but Embiid will likely be maxed in 2 yrs. Delon is great, underrated but highly rated by those who know him and plenty of cheap rookie yrs. The pick allows them to replace roco at a position of need, for more yrs.

It's not the move that puts us over the top but I think it makes us better. We clear some log jam and cap to resign and add talent. Masai made some minor mistakes with delon/cojo and demarre signing.

D Lineup I'd like:

Kyle/Norm/Roco/Pat/Noel
    Or
    swap jv for noel so you can hide jv on D and play inside out to get jv more touches. Let noel play behind demar to back him up on D.

Siakam and poeltl can get some Dleague time. Bebe can help with injuries and becomes a trade chip/insurance policy. Sully can help with rebounding in certain matchups and spacing like going big with noel at the 4. Noel can help make up for Sully being fat on D. Perhaps this summer if jv learns to shoots 3 and goes to the Marc gasol school of D then noel and jv can play spot mins. Wishful thinking!

Leave a comment:

• Lupe
    replied
    Mess wrote: View Post
    I guess yeah. But the video is titled "Why The Raptors Defense Is Becoming Extinct" so I didn't exactly come into it with an open mind. ( Lowry hasn't shrunk this season has he?)

Anyway, maybe I should actually give it a chance and watch the whole thing.

Maybe.
    Coach Nick hates the Raptors. He's admitted as much before pretty much on twitter.

Doesn't like the fact that we have an elite offense in the unconventional way rather than pretty passing and tiki-taka like Golden State. More than one way to skin a cat.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    See I didn't take his comment on Lowry's height as a criticism, more in the lines of no matter how well he plays, how hard he tries or how we scheme, opponents will still shoot for a decent % because. In a way, it's anti-criticism.
    Same reason why Lowry often gets blocked on potential game winning drives to the basket. Probably wingspan, too. Not sure if there's data on Lowry, but it doesn't look that generous.

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    I guess yeah. But the video is titled "Why The Raptors Defense Is Becoming Extinct" so I didn't exactly come into it with an open mind. ( Lowry hasn't shrunk this season has he?)

Maybe.
    Shrinkage is more George Costanza.

Leave a comment:

• Mess
    replied
    See I didn't take his comment on Lowry's height as a criticism, more in the lines of no matter how well he plays, how hard he tries or how we scheme, opponents will still shoot for a decent % because. In a way, it's anti-criticism.

Maybe.

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mess
    replied
    Plus the fact you don't like Coach Nick. and tbh I don't either on a personal level.

But there is so little at least semi-competent, much less brutally truthful, objective analysis out there on our team at least he did this video about our team, as opposed to ZACH FUCKIN LOWE who I do like a lot, but has written more shit about seemingly every other team than us this year.

YOU HEAR ME ZACH???
    Funny timing...I just posted a link to a bullet he did about Toronto in his latest piece lol

And true, I guess it is something and honest. But as much time as we here spend discussing defensive schemes and lineups, I'd have to imagine that if someone here criticised Lowry for being not tall enough he'd be ridiculed. (and not just by me)
    Last edited by Mess; Fri Dec 16, 2016, 01:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    Yeah I know, I saw the clips. I don't disagree with the notion that if Lowry were taller he would bother the shooter more, just the fact that he made a video to point it out made my eyes roll.
    Plus the fact you don't like Coach Nick. and tbh I don't either on a personal level.

But there is so little at least semi-competent, much less brutally truthful, objective analysis out there on our team at least he did this video about our team, as opposed to ZACH FUCKIN LOWE who I do like a lot, but has written more shit about seemingly every other team than us this year.

YOU HEAR ME ZACH???

Leave a comment:

• Mess
    replied
    It's the fucking truth though. Lowry defending the 3 isn't perfect and he did point out a couple of things he could do better, but in the majority of cases, players just shot over him. In other words the majority of the time his man made a 3, there was no fuck up on his part, or the scheme we used or any other explanation. So there is little chance for improvement in that area.

Patterson's was equally simplistic. He contested shots well, but players were lucky and sank them anyway, so expect his numbers to improve by regressing to the mean.

Sometimes simple answers are the correct answers.
    Yeah I know, I saw the clips. I don't disagree with the notion that if Lowry were taller he would bother the shooter more, just the fact that he made a video to point it out made my eyes roll.

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    I started clicking through that vid a while ago, then when I heard that he was using his allegedly vast basketball acumen to criticize Lowery for being too short I closed the tab, never to return. Great fucking analysis.
    It's the fucking truth though. Lowry defending the 3 isn't perfect and he did point out a couple of things he could do better, but in the majority of cases, players just shot over him. In other words the majority of the time his man made a 3, there was no fuck up on his part, or the scheme we used or any other explanation. So there is little chance for improvement in that area.

Patterson's was equally simplistic. He contested shots well, but players were lucky and sank them anyway, so expect his numbers to improve by regressing to the mean.

Sometimes simple answers are the correct answers.

Leave a comment:

• Mess
    replied
    I started clicking through that vid a while ago, then when I heard that he was using his allegedly vast basketball acumen to criticize Lowery for being too short I closed the tab, never to return. Great fucking analysis.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X