Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do we fix our defense?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GLF wrote: View Post
    That's been our biggest problem in beating them. We literally cannot stop their 3 point shooting. They shoot it phenomenally against us and it seems like everyone gets in on it. If we can actually lower their attempts at least we have a shot I guess but our lack of defence against them is our biggest problem. I'm not too worried about scoring on them when Lowry's back. But if you let Lebron do what he wants with no resistance like we've done and you have them getting wide open 3 after wide open 3 you're fucked. But this is definitely our best chance in beating them. I don't see us having a more talented team than this anytime soon. The only other hope would be maybe if we had a better coach with this roster that might give us an extra edge. But who knows.
    If Carroll and Tucker can limit LBJ's driving ability even somewhat, that may tip the scales. Tucker looks promising for that role, he may be the difference that helps bog down their offence.

    Also, if we roll the dice and are able to retain most of this roster (I see Cory and Bebe gone, maybe Patterson isn't resigned) then we will have more opportunities to take them down going forward.

    Comment


    • JawsGT wrote: View Post
      If Carroll and Tucker can limit LBJ's driving ability even somewhat, that may tip the scales. Tucker looks promising for that role, he may be the difference that helps bog down their offence.

      Also, if we roll the dice and are able to retain most of this roster (I see Cory and Bebe gone, maybe Patterson isn't resigned) then we will have more opportunities to take them down going forward.
      Tucker is definitely one of the stronger wings who has enough quickness to guard Lebron, he'll be crucial in the Playoffs. Carroll I have no hope for.

      Comment


      • A.I wrote: View Post
        Tucker is definitely one of the stronger wings who has enough quickness to guard Lebron, he'll be crucial in the Playoffs. Carroll I have no hope for.
        At this point I'm hoping there's a sucker out there we can fleece a 2017 first rounder off for him.

        Comment


        • 8th in the league in defense now. We've got a shot to finish top 5

          Comment


          • I'm not sure we should even attempt to move Carroll. He hasn't played well that's for sure, but if we move him we have a hole at SF. PJ is awesome yes, and we have to resign him, but resigning him, Ibaka, and Lowry almost certainly means that Cory and Bebe have to go, and you still have to decide what to do about Patterson. Patterson may not be back depending on the tax situation, and unless another big wing is coming back in a trade for Carroll, we would be very thin on the wings without him. Neither Demar or Powell are suited for SF. Maybe we could get away with it if PJ is playing 32+ min a night. Playoff success will probably determine how the offseason plays out. Personally, I'd rather Patterson than Carroll but it looks like that may mean dumping Carroll for nothing, and that may prove difficult.

            Comment


            • tDotted wrote: View Post
              8th in the league in defense now. We've got a shot to finish top 5
              It's all about having the right PERSONNEL.

              People kept whining early in the year about Casey and the defence. We lost a big time/ key defensive player in the offseason in Biz. And we didn't really replace the guy. Obviously the D is going to suffer big time.

              Now that we added Ibaka and Tucker, we're a top 10 defensive team again.

              It's all about having the right personnel.
              What it do baybeeee!!

              Comment


              • TRex wrote: View Post
                It's all about having the right PERSONNEL.

                People kept whining early in the year about Casey and the defence. We lost a big time/ key defensive player in the offseason in Biz. And we didn't really replace the guy. Obviously the D is going to suffer big time.

                Now that we added Ibaka and Tucker, we're a top 10 defensive team again.

                It's all about having the right personnel.
                My argument was that there have been teams with perceived "lack of personnel" who have been able to perform on that end. In any case, we've got the personnel now and the defense is looking good. Great job by the team/staff

                Comment


                • TRex wrote: View Post
                  It's all about having the right PERSONNEL.

                  People kept whining early in the year about Casey and the defence. We lost a big time/ key defensive player in the offseason in Biz. And we didn't really replace the guy. Obviously the D is going to suffer big time.

                  Now that we added Ibaka and Tucker, we're a top 10 defensive team again.

                  It's all about having the right personnel.
                  Our schemes make more sense for mobile defensive bigs. We had one guy who fit that bill and that was Patterson. Now we have three.

                  Comment


                  • TRex wrote: View Post
                    It's all about having the right PERSONNEL.

                    People kept whining early in the year about Casey and the defence. We lost a big time/ key defensive player in the offseason in Biz. And we didn't really replace the guy. Obviously the D is going to suffer big time.

                    Now that we added Ibaka and Tucker, we're a top 10 defensive team again.

                    It's all about having the right personnel.
                    Casey's done great, but if we use that line of reasoning then coaches don't matter. Only GMs do.
                    Last edited by golden; Sun Mar 26th, 2017, 08:24 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Basically Casey's scheme is very dependant on bigs being able to switch/guard on the perimeter as well as being able to hedge and recover. Before the trade we had JV, Bebe and Sully attempting to do that majority of the time. Now we have PJ, 2pat, Ibaka and Yak. Big difference!

                      Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Sun Mar 26th, 2017, 10:03 AM.
                      @Chr1st1anL

                      Comment


                      • golden wrote: View Post
                        Casey's done great, but if we use that line of reasoning then coaches don't matter. Only GMs do.
                        It's both. You need the right scheme but most importantly you need the players that fit the scheme. JV, Bebe and Sully don't really fit the scheme raps want to play defensively because of thier lack of mobility. PJ, 2pat, Ibaka and Yak do.

                        Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                        @Chr1st1anL

                        Comment


                        • Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          It's both. You need the right scheme but most importantly you need the players that fit the scheme. JV, Bebe and Sully don't really fit the scheme raps want to play defensively because of thier lack of mobility. PJ, 2pat, Ibaka and Yak do.

                          Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                          But again, by that logic almost any coach can make any reasonable scheme work as long as he is supported by a GM who is patient and also skilled enough to get him the players he needs. It's taken Masai about 5 years and a lot of deft asset management to land 2 elite defenders in their prime, like PJ and Serge without sacrificing core or replaceable assets. A lot of it still seems to come back to the GM.

                          Comment


                          • The GM did his job and got the talent. The coach is doing his job and translating that talent into winning. plenty of scenarios where talented teams didn't live up to expectations but so far so good for this years Raptors. Let's see what this team looks like once Lowry gets back. Oh and for everyone that has written off Carroll, I have a feeling that he continues his recent trend and improves once Lowry gets back.

                            Comment


                            • Ball wrote: View Post
                              At this point I'm hoping there's a sucker out there we can fleece a 2017 first rounder off for him.
                              Judging from your profile pick, Colangelo

                              Comment


                              • tonious35 wrote: View Post
                                Judging from your profile pick, Colangelo
                                I think Colangelo will end up making a move at the draft, however I don't think acquiring Carroll is the move. The 76ers have four second round picks this year (currently 35, 40, 46, and 49), and I don't think the 76ers want to add 5 more youngsters to an already young team. I'd look for the 76ers to try and package two of the picks to move up into the late first round

                                Depending on the draft order, there may be teams at the back of the first round, who have an eye on a specific player or two that may already be gone by the time they pick, so would be completely comfortable sliding back a few spots to acquire another asset. I'm looking at you San Antonio. For the later picks, you may have teams without a 2nd round pick this year (Cleveland, Toronto, etc) who may be willing to acquire one of the latter two picks to draft someone on their board who has slid a bit.

                                (Sorry, I know we're drifting off topic)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X