How do we fix our defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinbad wrote: View Post
    Exactly. I don't like the narrative that its easier to make a trade for a mobile rim-protector in the mold of Biyombo than it is to get DeRozan to put forth a competent defensive effort.
    This would be the most straightforward but asking demar to play at that level for 40 mins is a lot. He seems to work very hard at improving his offense. For better or worse we hitched our cart to demar. I could see him improving his defense but maybe in the summer. He seems to focus on one area. This is highly speculative but imo we've seen a pattern across his career. This gets complicated by the Lowry window.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      I think the point is that it's one thing to discuss the team as is, whereas discussing crazy trade ideas is best left for the Trade Chatter thread, or the Trade Proposal Forum.

It would be just as easy to suggest trading Lowry, since he's expiring and could net a good haul, or DeRozan since his defense is so bad, but they're all completely theoretical. Feel free to discuss any/all of those ideas, but in the appropriate place. Yes, a trade is an option, but this isn't the thread to go down a specific trade idea rabbit hole.
      That was my OP tho, people are discussing trades here.
      We are not in a bubble. There are things happening around us in the league. Players are or could be available so we have to look at internal and external factors. We should be focused on beating the cavs imo.
      I don't think Masai is strictly looking at internal adjustments. He's gotta be looking outside too.
      FYI no one goes to the trade proposals forum so fuck that.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
        This, I've seen tons of GS fans who are very worried about their defense, and they should be.

LeBron has only lost to a non top five defense once in his playoff career and that was Dallas in 2011 and they were still elite at 8th. You're not beating LeBron with an average defense.
        Yep, we're not good enough guys. Even on jv and pats best day we are toast.

Comment

• Our strength of schedule so far is the 2nd toughest in the league to date. Good teams tend to be able to put the ball in the basket at a higher rate or when they need to... We have had the Clips, Cavs x2, Warriors, Charlotte and OKC so far... with only 2 of them at home. Throw in the Nugs twice who are 10 overall in the league in points scored and you can see why the numbers are up.

Yes the defense can always be better .. but as the strength of schedule comes back to the mean... I would expect our defensive ratings to improve as well..
          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Nov 22, 2016, 03:29 PM.
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
            Our strength of schedule so far is the 2nd toughest in the league to date. Good teams tend to be able to put the ball in the basket at a higher rate or when they need to... We have had the Clips, Cavs x2, Warriors, Charlotte and OKC so far... with only 2 of them at home. Throw in the Nugs twice who are 10 overall in the league in points scored and you can see why the numbers are up.

Yes the defense can always be better .. but as the strength of schedule comes back to the mean... I would expect our defensive ratings to improve as well..
            These are exactly the teams we will meet in the playoffs tho. Yes, not on a back to back and not every game is away but it is still the bench mark for our team. I don't think beating the bucks by 20 is an indication of where we are at but it likely improves our stats.
            We are a rung below the top teams and I'm glad we are seeing that at the beginning of the season. I'd like home court advantage in the playoffs but ultimately our success will be defined vs lebron, assuming we make it that far.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
              These are exactly the teams we will meet in the playoffs tho. Yes, not on a back to back and not every game is away but it is still the bench mark for our team. I don't think beating the bucks by 20 is an indication of where we are at but it likely improves our stats.
              We are a rung below the top teams and I'm glad we are seeing that at the beginning of the season. I'd like home court advantage in the playoffs but ultimately our success will be defined vs lebron, assuming we make it that far.
              Yeah... we are a big time player short of being able to beat the top echelon of teams which I put as the Clips / GSW / Lebrons and possibly the Spurs. Raps have enough to get to the "Final Four" but after that it will take more good fortune than not to advance against one of those clubs in a 7 game set as currently constructed.
              - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                Yeah... we are a big time player short of being able to beat the top echelon of teams which I put as the Clips / GSW / Lebrons and possibly the Spurs. Raps have enough to get to the "Final Four" but after that it will take more good fortune than not to advance against one of those clubs in a 7 game set as currently constructed.
                And if they don't max out their potential on both ends of the floor, they won't reach the Final Four.

Comment

• Sinbad wrote: View Post
                  And if they don't max out their potential on both ends of the floor, they won't reach the Final Four.
                  Possibly.. but thats at least a four beer discussion.
                  - TGO

Comment

• This issue has to be addressed ASAP or this season will look a lot like 2014-15.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                      I'd argue we haven't seen many weak defenders at all on championship teams, and if any it's almost never more than 1 on the court at a time. I'm assuming you're referring to Kyrie, last year, because other than him and maybe Steph I can't think of any weak defensive guards playing on recent championship teams. Kevin Love and Dirk Nowitzki won 'chips as big men recently though, and neither of them is exactly a defensive stalwart.
                      They were both have had mobile centers playing next to them

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• The 2 best teams in the league have no rim protection. That should tell you something about how we put too much on jv to be the be all, end all. What they do have is shut down small forwards who can stop premier scorers. That's what carroll was brought in for and..yeah. they have also have premier scramble defenses that switch alertly. We lack a combination of effort (demar, demarre) sand speed (lowry, valanciunas, 2pat) ross is a good defender getting (too lazy to look up) 18 min a night.

Our defense is predicated on closing up the middle and giving up the long ball. The thing is we do a horrible job closing on shooters. They're making 3s, we're not.
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                          If you are really a jv fan boy than you should want him to get traded
                          whut

Comment

• Don't worry. Mr. Fixer is here.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                              Don't worry. Mr. Fixer is here.

Can he guard Paul George?

Comment

• I'll say this: I've always been a believer in adjusting schemes to fit your personnel, and not vice versa. Gonna stick by that here. Not every great defensive team is blessed with a rim protector.. you have to find a way to get stops. Communication, rotations and effort have been lacking severely and I don't think some guy blocking 1-2 shots a game is going to fix that.

Comment

Working...
                                X