How do we fix our defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    BeBe is trending towards closing more games?

On the season JV has played in the clutch in twice as many games (8 games to BeBe's 4). BeBe's 4 includes 1 against SAC where he played 12 clutch seconds (a game JV was hurt for) and the OKC game (the other game JV missed). Over the past 10 games, there have been 5 games with "clutch" time at the end. JV has closed 4 of them, the other closed with neither JV nor BeBe on the floor (against the Cavs). So in the past 10 games, BeBe has received zero minutes in close situations at the end of games.

Seems like he's trending pretty far away from closing games with the starters.
    I'm on my phone away from my computer to look things up. Iirc bebe played until 4-6mins left vs cavs? Then we went small with pat at the 5. Demonstrates Casey's preference to me. I feel like if he had a more experienced, dependable version of bebe that is how he'd like to run his team. Small sample and bebe is one foot out of the dleague but seems like Casey is always saying jv gets pulled bc of matchups.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
      I'm on my phone away from my computer to look things up. Iirc bebe played until 4-6mins left vs cavs? Then we went small with pat at the 5. Demonstrates Casey's preference to me. I feel like if he had a more experienced, dependable version of bebe that is how he'd like to run his team. Small sample and bebe is one foot out of the dleague but seems like Casey is always saying jv gets pulled bc of matchups.
      BeBe plays the first 6 minutes of the 4th Q every game (he averages 6.7 minutes in 4th Q's) - almost exclusively in the first half of those quarters, as he has very few clutch minutes on the year. It's the Lowry + bench unit and it's been that way all last year and all this year. It's the same lineup that plays the first 6 minutes of the 2nd quarter without fail - it's one of the fixtures of Casey's rotation.

And against the Cavs that unit only played 4 minutes before reverting to the small lineup. So BeBe actually played less in the 4th Q in this game than he typically does.

JV does get pulled because of matchups. Against the Cavs, both JV AND BeBe got pulled because of the matchup.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

BeBe plays the first 6 minutes of the 4th Q every game (he averages 6.7 minutes in 4th Q's) - almost exclusively in the first half of those quarters, as he has very few clutch minutes on the year. It's the Lowry + bench unit and it's been that way all last year and all this year. It's the same lineup that plays the first 6 minutes of the 2nd quarter without fail - it's one of the fixtures of Casey's rotation.

And against the Cavs that unit only played 4 minutes before reverting to the small lineup. So BeBe actually played less in the 4th Q in this game than he typically does.

JV does get pulled because of matchups. Against the Cavs, both JV AND BeBe got pulled because of the matchup.
        Yes, I agree. What I'm saying is that it seems to be trending toward jv becoming a scola starter outside of specific matchups like nurkic.
        Bebe is one foot out of the dleague, poeltl was ahead in the rotation, questions if bebe would keep his roster spot, etc. Obviously Casey trusts pat on D but it's not always ideal to have him play center. I can see with more experience bebe get a chance to close games, he's already ushering in the 4th (as you said). That's a huge leap compared to a guy you've called a "foundation" of this team in jv.
        I'm not gonna delve into the mins breakdown over a few mins here or there, tho id appreciate to read if you did.
        The broad stroke of jv as our highest lottery pick vs a John salmons throw in is what's striking and that he seems to be winning Casey's confidence when he's not getting into foul trouble and staying in his lane.
        I don't enjoy bashing on jv. I actually have a lot of respect for him and kinda feel bad except he's a millionaire that plays basketball with a hot wife.

Comment

• DeRozan sits the first 6 minutes of the 4th Q most nights. Is he not trusted to close games? It's just the Lowry plus bench time slot and always has been.

The relevant block of time is the final 6 minutes, and JV's been playing those minutes more than any other time in his career, with the exception of last game.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DeRozan sits the first 6 minutes of the 4th Q most nights. Is he not trusted to close games? It's just the Lowry plus bench time slot and always has been.

The relevant block of time is the final 6 minutes, and JV's been playing those minutes more than any other time in his career, with the exception of last game.
            Alright Dan, you win, jv is fine. Enjoy the game!

Comment

• Brad Stevens after today's game:

"It was hard for us to break their wall of defense," Stevens said. "They were pushing into us, they were very, very athletic at a number of positions, and they ratcheted it up. And it was hard for us to handle that pressure."
              Is it funny or sad that maybe the most complimentary remark in this thread is from an opposing coach?
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                Brad Stevens after today's game:

Is it funny or sad that maybe the most complimentary remark in this thread is from an opposing coach?
                Yeah, well that's what happens when Powell plays and Carroll doesn't. Joseph also has been back to his old self lately, and Ross has been pretty consistent on that end all year (but somehow Carroll still getting the most wing minutes out of all these guys).

Boston also has some pretty weak scorers with Thomas out. We should be able to pressure them and not get killed, and our guys got their shit together. And yeah, I honestly think Carroll not playing was a help. He's started hitting some shots and getting some steals, but his D has been atrocious on pretty much every level.

Comment

DeRozan sits the first 6 minutes of the 4th Q most nights. Is he not trusted to close games? It's just the Lowry plus bench time slot and always has been.

Final 6mins vs celts:
                  Looked like jv got scorched off the court in about 1 min. Bebe helped get stops and change the direction of the game in the second half and Pat closed the door in the final few mins. Stats say jv was +/- 0, 3-7fg, so he's fine. Bebe +6, 0 fga. Seems like he didn't need the ball to help us win. Raps by 7.
                  Just one game. Jvs gonna help vs Monroe in the next one. Bebe vs henson should be good too.

Comment

• Pretty interesting stuff. As of yesterday it appears we have the easiest schedule left in the league (post all star break) - balanced out because we have had the 3rd hardest so far this season. Of course anything can happen in the future and you can't predict a thing, but how's that for a "fix"?

Last edited by Mess; Sat Dec 10, 2016, 05:19 PM.
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Thanks Mess. I had just copied that from Danny Leroux's twitter feed and was about to post it myself.

Plus when I checked this morning, we've moved up to middle of the pack now on D.
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• I guess this is better suited for this thread.

https://twitter.com/william_lou/stat...47482754670592

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          I guess this is better suited for this thread.

https://twitter.com/william_lou/stat...47482754670592

Thats on Casey. We all know hedging doesn't work with JV there, so why the hell would you continue to do it?

Comment

• Come playoffs i suspect our closing lineup will be sully at the 5,pat,dc,dd,lowry. As long as sully can pick up the d schemes i feel like casey will trust him at the 5 to close game over JV like he did with Biz. I hope its just a slump but JV d has been so fucking weak lately even my gf who watches game with me every now and then noticed how bad he's been. The only option i see of JV working out is if we establish him and force teams to match us instead of vice versa (indy series a good example of this). too bad Jv is just to inconsistent for this game plan to work regularly. I've always been skeptical of the calls to trade for cousins, but if were gonna pull the trigger this is the year to do it. I true dominant C seems like the only way we can compete with top tier teams
                            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                              Come playoffs i suspect our closing lineup will be sully at the 5,pat,dc,dd,lowry. As long as sully can pick up the d schemes i feel like casey will trust him at the 5 to close game over JV like he did with Biz. I hope its just a slump but JV d has been so fucking weak lately even my gf who watches game with me every now and then noticed how bad he's been. The only option i see of JV working out is if we establish him and force teams to match us instead of vice versa (indy series a good example of this). too bad Jv is just to inconsistent for this game plan to work regularly. I've always been skeptical of the calls to trade for cousins, but if were gonna pull the trigger this is the year to do it. I true dominant C seems like the only way we can compete with top tier teams
                              Yeah, I agree. Right now Bebe isn't a consistent defensive rebounder. Which is why Casey is forced to go back to JV. Sully who anchored a top 5 defense last year and who is just as good of a rebounder as JV.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...bas-holy-grail

nice article on the quest for an all-in-one defensive stat.

Comment

Working...
                                X