How do we fix our defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Carroll has struggled in man D. That is what he was signed for. Although he competes there, he just isn't close to the level he was at in Atlanta. It's entirely possible it's related to physical issues, but that doesn't change his performance. He can't keep in front of his man near as well as he needs to, especially since he often guards the other team's best wing.

His team D can be alarmingly bad...he's often looking for steals...and he often gets caught standing still as his man cuts behind him. He can be pretty lost positionally off the ball in general. He can also be good at times as at least when he's not ball watching he's quite aggressive, but sometimes there he can be aggressive to a fault.
    Carroll's D reminds me a bit of Lowry, too many gambles and not enough consistent stay in front of your man D and sometimes just not paying attention. It's ok for Lowry because of what he does on offence but Carroll's offence is pretty bad and he needs his D to be better to be worth the minutes he's been getting. I'd really like to see Powell leapfrog Carroll in the rotation.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Ok guys, i gotta do some living for a few minutes today. D is great!

Comment

• I've made criticism of Carroll's D in the forum recently. Touched on what you are saying. He balances out to around a zero so it could be improved for sure but not the biggest problem imo. Have fun!

Comment

• I would say playing Bebe a couple more minutes would help the D a little more

http://stats.nba.com/vs/advanced/#!?...layerID=203512
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• It's really a big problem if Carroll isn't going to be a plus defender. Not sure what the hell he's doing on the team in that case.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
              It's really a big problem if Carroll isn't going to be a plus defender. Not sure what the hell he's doing on the team in that case.
              Taking Powell's minutes.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                I would say playing Bebe a couple more minutes would help the D a little more

http://stats.nba.com/vs/advanced/#!?...layerID=203512
                Not as much as those stats show, unless we can figure a way for the opposition to play their bench players more minutes too.

Still, the bench defence has been solid and is not the issue.

Looking at the top lineups, there are 5 that have played at least 50 minutes so far. Of those:

Three have solid to great defensive ratings (between 97 and 104). Two of those have Valanciunas in them, including the 97 DRTG lineup.

Problem is, the other two lineups have DRTG's of 109 and 113. The 109 is the Nogueira-anchored DD plus bench lineup. The 113 is the starting lineup. They are the fourth and first most played lineups on the team.

We have to fix the starting lineup. All the rest of our lineups wash out between poor and great. Heck, just take out the minutes and DRTG of the standard starting lineup and the team DRTG drops to 103.8, which would rank 13th.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  Not as much as those stats show, unless we can figure a way for the opposition to play their bench players more minutes too.

Still, the bench defence has been solid and is not the issue.

Looking at the top lineups, there are 5 that have played at least 50 minutes so far. Of those:

Three have solid to great defensive ratings (between 97 and 104). Two of those have Valanciunas in them, including the 97 DRTG lineup.

Problem is, the other two lineups have DRTG's of 109 and 113. The 109 is the Nogueira-anchored DD plus bench lineup. The 113 is the starting lineup. They are the fourth and first most played lineups on the team.

We have to fix the starting lineup. All the rest of our lineups wash out between poor and great. Heck, just take out the minutes and DRTG of the standard starting lineup and the team DRTG drops to 103.8, which would rank 13th.
                  7 of the 8 losses have come with Bebe playing 13.9 minutes per game.

12 of our 18 wins have come with Bebe averaging 21.4 minutes per game.

Bebe has played in 19 of our 26 games.

I'd like to see Bebe up to 22 min/G and JV down to 26. Just like last year with JV/Biz.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Sat Dec 17, 2016, 10:37 PM.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

i think we're undefeated when bruno plays too, should we start him?

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                      i think we're undefeated when bruno plays too, should we start him?
                      That's your best arguement?

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

I'd like to see Bebe up to 22 min/G and JV down to 26. Just like last year with JV/Biz.

What's that? We win more games against lesser opponents where we can run out extended bench unit time? Shocker.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          What's that? We win more games against lesser opponents where we can run out extended bench unit time? Shocker.
                          When Bebe plays extended minutes its because he is closing out the games most of the time. He is not just playing bench players. Your better than this Dan.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

That's your best arguement?

not really. but i mean, correct me if i'm wrong but i think we're 6-1 when bebe doesn't play. so maybe we shouldn't play him, right?

Comment

When Bebe plays extended minutes its because he is closing out the games most of the time. He is not just playing bench players. Your better than this Dan.

danH has already proved this statement false in the past on this forum iirc.

Comment

BeBe has literally only played in 4 games in the clutch this year. Valanciunas has played in 10.

When he's closing out games, it's because we have a big lead. So, yes, we do win more often when we have huge leads in the 4th. Shocker.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X