How do we fix our defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I'm not talking about the playoffs. I'm talking about the regular season. Playoffs comes down to match ups. Who do you think is going to play more in a series vs the Celtic JV or Bebe?

Knowing JV he will probably miss more games this year.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    And if he does miss more games, I agree that BeBe's average will go up. But he won't be taking minutes from JV on any consistent basis.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      And if he does miss more games, I agree that BeBe's average will go up. But he won't be taking minutes from JV on any consistent basis.
      All I know is that Casey is going to start changing things. His not going to take minutes away from Lowry/Deebo for poor d. Same thing can't be said about JV. Bebe makes lowry/Deebo look better on D. It's all about fit Dan.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

All I know is that Casey is going to start changing things. His not going to take minutes away from Lowry/Deebo for poor d. Same thing can't be said about JV. Bebe makes lowry/Deebo look better on D. It's all about fit Dan.

If fit is the concern, we are discussing the wrong position. JV fits fine (read: great) with the stars so long as you have a floor stretching PF on the floor.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If fit is the concern, we are discussing the wrong position. JV fits fine (read: great) with the stars so long as you have a floor stretching PF on the floor.
          I'm talking about fit defensively and offensively. I think Bebe fits better with Lowry/Deebo with the way they want to play. I guess we can just agree to disagree.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

I'm talking about fit defensively and offensively. I think Bebe fits better with Lowry/Deebo with the way they want to play. I guess we can just agree to disagree.

It is very possible that if BeBe was a starting quality C, he might fit better with the way Lowry/DD play. Sadly, he is not, so it is irrelevant.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

It is very possible that if BeBe was a starting quality C, he might fit better with the way Lowry/DD play. Sadly, he is not, so it is irrelevant.
              I hope you know by saying Bebe is not a "starter" it contradicts every arguement you've had about 2pat starting.

Bebe has become the C version of 2pat. Will end most nights leading the position in most advanced stats. Just like the stater 2pat.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

I hope you know by saying Bebe is not a "starter" it contradicts every arguement you've had about 2pat starting.

Bebe has become the C version of 2pat. Will end most nights leading the position in most advanced stats. Just like the stater 2pat.

Yeah, except Pat has a season and a half of time with closing lineups against the opposition's best players in clutch game winning situations that suggests he would kill as a starter, and he has a raw rookie who doesn't fit with the starters in front of him, while Nogueira has basically zero data on him against non-backup opposition and has an established starting C in front of him.

Yeah, that's totally the same thing.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yeah, except Pat has a season and a half of time with closing lineups against the opposition's best players in clutch game winning situations that suggests he would kill as a starter, and he has a raw rookie who doesn't fit with the starters in front of him, while Nogueira has basically zero data on him against non-backup opposition and has an established starting C in front of him.

Yeah, that's totally the same thing.
                  So if Bebe keeps putting up these stats for the whole year. Would he be considered a starter in your eyes like 2pat?

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

So if Bebe keeps putting up these stats for the whole year. Would he be considered a starter in your eyes like 2pat?

If he played against starters, which he doesn't, sure.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

You make it seem like he is just playing decent. The guy was leading the league in Net rating and leading the team Def rating. So far his short sample size shows his the best back up Center in the league.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Right now our best lineup that plays a lot of minutes every game is our starters with Siakam swapped out for 2Pat so Lowry-DeMar-Carroll-2Pat-Valanciunas. +33.4 netRTG, 3 points higher than the Lowry+Bench unit.

However when you swap out JV for Bebe and Carroll for Powell you get a +69.9 netRTG.

Also our starters with JV replaced for Bebe (Lowry-DD-Carroll-Siakam-Bebe) have a +41.8 netRTG.

Pretty hard to say those latter two units aren't "playing against starters", and they have the highest netRTGs of our 11 most used lineups. Small sample size at this point in the season though.

Comment

Again, if we can convince the opposition to play their bench players 4 more minutes a game too, that logic holds up.
                          Whose the bench player between Henson and Monroe? Who's the better offensive player? Bebe guarded Monroe. Jv ate ball.

We need jv to guard our direct rivals like horford and Tristan. He struggles. At the very least we need him to matchup vs a big like Dwight. He struggles vs guards like kemba and Kyrie. Or perimter bigs like love, Frye, Millsap, etc.
                          We don't even use jvs offensive to punish these matchups.

Comment

BeBe has literally only played in 4 games in the clutch this year. Valanciunas has played in 10.

When he's closing out games, it's because we have a big lead. So, yes, we do win more often when we have huge leads in the 4th. Shocker.
                            Let's monitor this. Casey is slow to adjust to an extent. Did scola close games at the start of last yr?
                            Bebe has played until the 4-6 mark and Pat has closed. Let's make sure the game is within single digits before we call it clutch.
                            The fact that jv doesn't close every game as our #3 player and most important defender in favour of a dleague call up is already alarming for a supposed contender.

Comment

You don't think Biz getting starter's minutes while JV was out had something to do with his higher minutes averages?

Just look at the playoffs in the first 10 games before JV was hurt. Biz averaged 17.5 MPG.
                              When we talk about quality of opponent let's remember that Turner was a 20 yr old rookie and Whiteside was on broken legs and a matchup that jv can handle.
                              Jv also got hurt and we needed to biz. If we face Drummond or Dwight we will need jv but Tristan/love/Frye or horford is a different look for jv.
                              Also our guards struggled on offense. No guarantee jv gets the ball if they play our current offense. We need jv to anchor the D regardless. Pat and Bebe are the anchor ATM.

Comment

Absolutism. You don't know this.

Comment

Working...
                                X