How do we fix our defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    It confirms the eye-test that says DeRozan is by far the worst defender on the team, despite being consistently hidden against the worst offensive guard/wing. He needs to shoot such a high volume of shots just to maintain a positive net impact.
    That Damn DeRozan costing us games man with his bad defence

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
      4th best DRTG for the month of December per NBA.COM after being 26th for the month of November. Some pointed out the schedule is a big factor and the D would impove, some pointed out this roster can be better than a middling defense if they just execute and put in better effort, some argued it will NEVER HAPPEN because JV SUCKS and CARROLL SUCKS and TRADES MUST HAPPEN.

This is tongue-in-cheek gloating, but I'd just like to point out the wild month-to-month swings that happen during a season. Can we hold back on freaking out on whatever/whichever player after just the most recent handful of games? Ah, I didn't think so. Carry on then.
      carroll does suck though

Comment

It confirms the eye-test that says DeRozan is by far the worst defender on the team, despite being consistently hidden against the worst offensive guard/wing. He needs to shoot such a high volume of shots just to maintain a positive net impact.

Seems like with a higher offensive usage, some of the other guys would get much closer to the good/good quadrant.

Note: could you include a synopsis (or link to one) about how each of the stats are calculated?
        The other guys can't handle higher usage without taking significant hits to their efficiency.

By this point I think there should be some level of understanding that DeRozan's value comes precisely in the fact that he can handle a high usage with good efficiency. He's not the high impact, make your team better kind of guy. He's that complementary star that allows your main star to not have to put the team on his back. He's Kyrie to LeBron, Klay to Steph (although very different stylistically), Tony Parker to Tim Duncan back in the day, young Kobe to Shaq, etc.

Comment

Note: could you include a synopsis (or link to one) about how each of the stats are calculated?
          http://nbamath.com/tpa-model/

Yeah, it depends on time played. Still only 4 guys seems to be positive on defense anyway: BeBe, PPat, Siakam and Poeltl.
          It's more advanced BPM (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/bpm.html), accounting for played possessions (not minutes).

Comment

• Why is Boston 20th in defense when they have 3 elite perimeter defenders all playing 30+mpg (Smart, Crowder, Bradley)?

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
              Why is Boston 20th in defense when they have 3 elite perimeter defenders all playing 30+mpg (Smart, Crowder, Bradley)?
              I recommend asking that on twitter to Boston fans, they've been able to argument that despite having 0-9 record against top 5 teams (Warriors, Cavs, Spurs, Raptors, Rockets) they are really 4-5, because of the injuries and the close game they were "moral victories". Surely there is some paramount reason they haven't been able to sustain last year top 10 defense.

Being serious they have similar problem to ours - DREB%, for most of the season we battle with them for last place in that category. They have slightly better field goal defense than us, but we foul less and force more turnovers.

Looking on on-off splits for team DREB% BeBe jumps out 71.4% (dead last) with him on the floor vs 75.2% without him (good for 5th worst, still bad). Not having above average rebounders PF surely doesn't help. One of our victory cigars provide some help, Jacob has 79.1% (5th best) in his 200 MP. Small sample for sure, but worth testing not necessarily at C, but trying twin towers Poeltl/Nogueira for some time and starting him over Siakam should improve our defense, as he is really mobile, active and better rebounder.

Comment

Why is Boston 20th in defense when they have 3 elite perimeter defenders all playing 30+mpg (Smart, Crowder, Bradley)?
                My guess would be a combination of those guys having higher offensive usage. No rim protection. Without Sully they are giving up a lot of second chance points.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• December DRtg 102.5

Cojo 106.4
                  DC 108.9
                  Ross 98.3
                  Jv 111.2
                  Demar 105
                  Norm 101
                  Pat 97.7
                  Bebe 95
                  Siakam 104.1
                  Kyle 102

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                    December DRtg 102.5

Cojo 106.4
                    DC 108.9
                    Ross 98.3
                    Jv 111.2
                    Demar 105
                    Norm 101
                    Pat 97.7
                    Bebe 95
                    Siakam 104.1
                    Kyle 102
                    Cojo just really isn't playing well. This is why I'm advocating for delon to be given a chance. He's a really good defender and he can run a team. I don't want to just add delon as a throw away prospect in a trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

December DRtg 102.5

Cojo 106.4
                      DC 108.9
                      Ross 98.3
                      Jv 111.2
                      Demar 105
                      Norm 101
                      Pat 97.7
                      Bebe 95
                      Siakam 104.1
                      Kyle 102
                      This is very disappointing to see out of Cojo. If he is not bring D on this team I would rather see him get traded. That's what he was signed for. To play go one on one D.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

December DRtg 102.5

Cojo 106.4
                        DC 108.9
                        Ross 98.3
                        Jv 111.2
                        Demar 105
                        Norm 101
                        Pat 97.7
                        Bebe 95
                        Siakam 104.1
                        Kyle 102
                        These dRTGs seem right in line with about what one would expect tbh. Crazy how bad JV's is, and you can't use Siakam as an excuse because his is quite a lot higher than Jonas' and so are Bebe's and 2Pat's.

Comment

These dRTGs seem right in line with about what one would expect tbh. Crazy how bad JV's is, and you can't use Siakam as an excuse because his is quite a lot higher than Jonas' and so are Bebe's and 2Pat's.
                          Siakam has gotten minutes with the bench and in garbage time. JV has had to play beside Siakam against starters.

When you consider the starting lineup has a DRTG of 114 on the year, it's no surprise JV's on-court rating is so bad.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• How to fix our defence :

Teach JV not to defend Goobers around the 3 point line
                            I am only kidding JV fan boys

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              Siakam has gotten minutes with the bench and in garbage time. JV has had to play beside Siakam against starters.

When you consider the starting lineup has a DRTG of 114 on the year, it's no surprise JV's on-court rating is so bad.
                              Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't DeMar play like just as much with the starters as JV does? And it's not like his DD+Bench unit has been amazing either like Lowry+Bench this year.

Seems like we're just finding reasons for everything now. He has by far the worst dRTG there, but somehow it's the fault of the lineups he's in and other players and not his own.

Comment

• Demarre is not that far behind jv, playing 1st unit, next to siakam.
                                Looking at lineups, Pascal is a negative and the other jv/dc are slight positives, generally speaking. It makes sense to me bc Pascal has very limited offense and a lot of mental lapses on defense. However, I think he has a lot of potential on defense that may make him a positive impact player as he learns the game and grows.
                                Demarre was a good two way player and now he is a shell of his former self. Makes sense that he is a slight positive.
                                Jv is an efficient, productive one way player that doesn't get touches and mostly contributes to rebounding on D. Makes sense that he's a slight positive.
                                Part of it is about expectation imo. Demarre is old/broken but we invested money in him. Siakam was 27th out of the WAC so I give him a pass; happy he's at least a player. Jv tho, is our top pick, 3rd wheel, defensive anchor and 4+ seasons development. It's disappointing and problematic imo.
                                Anyway, same shit, different day. I hope the fan boys are right that jv will show up in the playoffs bc if he doesn't then he won't have a lot of value to the raps and maybe not to many other teams. Even if jv has stronger offensive numbers, I don't think we can win a championship without a lot more than tread water defense at the center position.

Comment

Working...
                                X