X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Is
    replied
    3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Did this Coach Nick Dec 5th video about our 3pt defence ever get posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMomk-BIBoc

He watched our last 99 3's and the 3 players most responsible.

His conclusions - 1 guy too short, 1 guy unlucky, 1 guy not good.

I
    I did actually like that he pointed out some of the flaws with hedging but it still seems like he likes to give backhanded compliments to the Raptors a little too much.

I actually do wonder if people who don't watch what he says here are able to guess the players. I know before I watched; the only one I got wrong with the guy who was unlucky.

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    Did this Coach Nick Dec 5th video about our 3pt defence ever get posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMomk-BIBoc

He watched our last 99 3's and the 3 players most responsible.

His conclusions - 1 guy too short, 1 guy unlucky, 1 guy not good.

I

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    A.I wrote: View Post
    Thats on Casey. We all know hedging doesn't work with JV there, so why the hell would you continue to do it?
    And tbh, in that video, even Patterson's hedges on the ball-handlers are pretty half-hearted, so I don't know how effective that really is. It doesn't look like he's slowing them down one bit. It's a bad example because on JV's hedge, he completely stopped the dribble and forced a reversal.

Leave a comment:

• Chr1s1anL
    replied
    What defensive scheme did Boston play last year?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    One further point on Bradley rating so poorly despite his ALL-NBA Defensive reputation. The writer seemed to attribute the entirety of the discrepancy to not having Horford for a number of games earlier this year. That had something to do with his low ranking, but he's not the defensive whiz the eye test would suggest. The following was written prior to this season.
    Yeah, I think that's BS regarding Horford. Bradley is a straight up nightmare for opposing guards.

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    JawsGT wrote: View Post
    The interesting thing here is that it's difficult to measure an individual player's defensive impact, which we all know of course, but they use Avery Bradley as an interesting example. Team defences are all different and it's tough to tease out a particular players impact within the defensive scheme, which may change slightly depending on who's on the floor.

So it makes me wonder about our defensive scheme. What's the difference between this season and last? Didn't we do well last year defending inside the arc but gave up alot of 3's at a lower percentage?
    One further point on Bradley rating so poorly despite his ALL-NBA Defensive reputation. The writer seemed to attribute the entirety of the discrepancy to not having Horford for a number of games earlier this year. That had something to do with his low ranking, but he's not the defensive whiz the eye test would suggest. The following was written prior to this season.

The Celtics' upset win over the Golden State Warriors at Oracle Arena on April 1 -- Golden State's first home loss in more than a year -- was a showcase for Bradley's defense. He defended both Warriors guards, Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, helping hold the latter to 15 points on 6-of-16 shooting. The performance helped solidify Bradley's first appearance on the NBA's All-Defensive First Team, having previously earned second team honors in 2012-13.

Given that reputation, it's tough to understand Bradley rating as a below-average defender (minus-1.2 points per 100 possessions) by ESPN's real plus-minus last season. In part, Bradley's defensive contributions are tough to quantify in the box score, since he's a poor rebounder and rarely blocks shots. Boston also defended better with Bradley on the bench, which is probably something of a fluke. In past years, he's rated as a good guard defender by RPM though not the elite one his reputation would suggest, which probably relates to the fact that one-on-one defense tends to be overrated vis-à-vis help defense.

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    JawsGT wrote: View Post
    https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...bas-holy-grail

nice article on the quest for an all-in-one defensive stat.
    The interesting thing here is that it's difficult to measure an individual player's defensive impact, which we all know of course, but they use Avery Bradley as an interesting example. Team defences are all different and it's tough to tease out a particular players impact within the defensive scheme, which may change slightly depending on who's on the floor.

So it makes me wonder about our defensive scheme. What's the difference between this season and last? Didn't we do well last year defending inside the arc but gave up alot of 3's at a lower percentage?

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...bas-holy-grail

nice article on the quest for an all-in-one defensive stat.

Leave a comment:

• Chr1s1anL
    replied
    bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
    Come playoffs i suspect our closing lineup will be sully at the 5,pat,dc,dd,lowry. As long as sully can pick up the d schemes i feel like casey will trust him at the 5 to close game over JV like he did with Biz. I hope its just a slump but JV d has been so fucking weak lately even my gf who watches game with me every now and then noticed how bad he's been. The only option i see of JV working out is if we establish him and force teams to match us instead of vice versa (indy series a good example of this). too bad Jv is just to inconsistent for this game plan to work regularly. I've always been skeptical of the calls to trade for cousins, but if were gonna pull the trigger this is the year to do it. I true dominant C seems like the only way we can compete with top tier teams
    Yeah, I agree. Right now Bebe isn't a consistent defensive rebounder. Which is why Casey is forced to go back to JV. Sully who anchored a top 5 defense last year and who is just as good of a rebounder as JV.

Leave a comment:

• bertarapsfan
    replied
    Come playoffs i suspect our closing lineup will be sully at the 5,pat,dc,dd,lowry. As long as sully can pick up the d schemes i feel like casey will trust him at the 5 to close game over JV like he did with Biz. I hope its just a slump but JV d has been so fucking weak lately even my gf who watches game with me every now and then noticed how bad he's been. The only option i see of JV working out is if we establish him and force teams to match us instead of vice versa (indy series a good example of this). too bad Jv is just to inconsistent for this game plan to work regularly. I've always been skeptical of the calls to trade for cousins, but if were gonna pull the trigger this is the year to do it. I true dominant C seems like the only way we can compete with top tier teams

Leave a comment:

• A.I
    replied
    Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I guess this is better suited for this thread.

https://twitter.com/william_lou/stat...47482754670592

Thats on Casey. We all know hedging doesn't work with JV there, so why the hell would you continue to do it?

Leave a comment:

• Chr1s1anL
    replied
    I guess this is better suited for this thread.

https://twitter.com/william_lou/stat...47482754670592

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    Thanks Mess. I had just copied that from Danny Leroux's twitter feed and was about to post it myself.

Plus when I checked this morning, we've moved up to middle of the pack now on D.

Leave a comment:

• Mess
    replied

Pretty interesting stuff. As of yesterday it appears we have the easiest schedule left in the league (post all star break) - balanced out because we have had the 3rd hardest so far this season. Of course anything can happen in the future and you can't predict a thing, but how's that for a "fix"?

Last edited by Mess; Sat Dec 10, 2016, 05:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lewro
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    DeRozan sits the first 6 minutes of the 4th Q most nights. Is he not trusted to close games? It's just the Lowry plus bench time slot and always has been.

The relevant block of time is the final 6 minutes, and JV's been playing those minutes more than any other time in his career, with the exception of last game.
    Final 6mins vs celts:
    Looked like jv got scorched off the court in about 1 min. Bebe helped get stops and change the direction of the game in the second half and Pat closed the door in the final few mins. Stats say jv was +/- 0, 3-7fg, so he's fine. Bebe +6, 0 fga. Seems like he didn't need the ball to help us win. Raps by 7.
    Just one game. Jvs gonna help vs Monroe in the next one. Bebe vs henson should be good too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X