It's imperative that we get the #1 seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's imperative that we get the #1 seed

The Cavs are being blown out by the Clippers right now so we'll be 1.5 games back of them after tonight barring a miraculous comeback.

We need to get the #1 seed, it should be a priority if we're serious about getting further than we did last year. We have no chance against Cleveland without homecourt advantage, with it our chance is at least non-zero. We should be pressing hard to get more wins than them in the regular season. It also positions us better as we get to avoid the other top tier teams in the east in the 2nd round as we'd be getting 4/5 seeds instead of playing the 3 seed or 2 seed depending on which of those two we are.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this?

We won't get the 1st seed mate.

Cavs are just too good and they will get the win if they badly need one.

First and foremost, we need to solve/deal with our problems... Otherwise we'll go down in the 1st round.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
      We won't get the 1st seed mate.

Cavs are just too good and they will get the win if they badly need one.

First and foremost, we need to solve/deal with our problems... Otherwise we'll go down in the 1st round.
      Agreed. The defense is still trash and that's gotta be fixed ASAP.

Comment

Goal should be first seed. But health is more important.
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          Goal should be first seed. But health is more important.
          For sure. The goals in the locker room have to be a step forward from last season, which will be #1 seed and Finals appearance.

I don't know if Cleveland will necessarily push for it if they fall to #2 (huge if). They also want Lebron + co to be healthy, they have nothing to prove in the regular season, and they'd be pretty confident they could win the ECF without homecourt if it ever came to that.

Might not be as crazy as it sounds.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Yeah I'm more worried about Lowry and DD playing as many minutes as they are. Lowry most min/game and DD not far off (7). A lot of that is just cause the challenging schedule and the fact that all their loses are close, but still it's concerning. I know you wanna win as many games as you can, but it feels like every playoffs the two could be a lot better (yes they are often hurt, but maybe fewer minutes would help?)

The roster is full of good guards, so seems worthwhile to try some JV and bench mob lineups and possibly rest one of the guards on the tail end of the occasional back to back.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
              Yeah I'm more worried about Lowry and DD playing as many minutes as they are. Lowry most min/game and DD not far off (7). A lot of that is just cause the challenging schedule and the fact that all their loses are close, but still it's concerning. I know you wanna win as many games as you can, but it feels like every playoffs the two could be a lot better (yes they are often hurt, but maybe fewer minutes would help?)

The roster is full of good guards, so seems worthwhile to try some JV and bench mob lineups and possibly rest one of the guards on the tail end of the occasional back to back.
              Would Kobe let Shaq take the team over even though playing together made them undefeatable or run him out of town. Let's put this whole idea that the team should give JV more of the offensive load a rest. It's been discussed forever and it's never going to happen. It would be great but let's resign ourselves to the knowledge that it's just not in Lowry/DeMars game to be that sort of facilitator.

Comment

If getting the #1 seed means playing in way that gets a boatload of regular season wins, but gets stopped easily in the playoffs, then I don't want the #1 seed.

Comment

#1 seed would be nice, but I don't think it would make much difference. The Cavs are still in a class above us, homecourt advantage or not. They would be the heavy favourites in that series either way.

More important than a #1 seeding, is the addition of a legit 3rd banana to this roster. I'm looking at you, Masai.

Comment

The Cavs will turn it on when they need to and even with them coasting for a few games (like the Bucks game) they (Lebron) will be able to do enough to finish 1 game above us like last season.

With no injuries for either team, I think it's more difficult for the Raps to squeeze out more wins this season than last than the Cavs to end up with 57 wins again.

Even if the Raps are currently on pace for 54/55 wins. I can't see how you ride this Raps team to get them to play 110% to try to get to 58 wins or so. Though maybe it would've happened last year without JV's injury and a more healthy DC (oh, and a better Ross), so I guess I'm not ruling it out completely.

Cavs are on pace for 62 wins though they have had a pretty easy schedule so far: only 4 Western conference teams so far out of 17 games and they've all been at home - in fact they've only had 6 road games out of 17 total). The farthest they've had to travel has been to Philly which is just a 1h20m flight.

Shit, must be nice to be the Champs and start with a light game load like that. So yeah, maybe they can't keep up that 62 win pace but high 50's is attainable even on cruise control for them.
                    Last edited by Mess; Fri Dec 2, 2016, 11:54 AM.
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Clippers laid the smack down on them last night, 2 bad games in a row for the Lebron's. They get Chicago tonight to.

Comment

I think we need either 1 or 2.... that would allow us to avoid being on their side of the bracket until the end. Having #1 would be nice but it isn't necessary.... we need to seriously think about playing the rookies even more close to the end of the season. This will let our starters to rest. I think it will allow for us to go in well rounded. I also think we need to maybe not aim to sweep but beat the first round in 5-6 games max...
                        Realistically we gave cleveland 3 weeks worth of rest. We had 2 separate 7 game series before we even faced them.

Comment

#1 seed does matter.. it helps the Raptors reputation as one of the better teams in the league. Can help with free agency or if stars want out and ask for a trade. Home court definitely helps in the playoffs even if the Raptors would be underdogs against the Cavs.

Ultimately I'd still like to ensure we're healthy as that's obviously more important.. but assuming that's not an issue absolutely would love a #1 seed. Sucks that we already lost both games to the Cavs. Play them two more times, but so far they've got the tie breaker in hand. Interesting that the Raptors last game of the season is against the Cavs. That game could decide who gets home court.

Comment

It's imperative that we get a better PF.

Comment

Imperative is a strong word, but yes it would be great to get first seed. Regular season is kind of meaningless if thats not our goal at this point...
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X