Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to move DC to starting PFand NP to starting SF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the idea of Norm at the 3, but let DC play a role similar to Iggy off the bench. The roster has way too many guards. Pascal is too young, 2Pat is too soft to start. Even Jason Thompson or Ed Davis would be more useful. A Chris Bosh reunion would be my dream scenario, if his condition heals.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
      Nope! Maybe time to cut Lowry's minutes, run Cory as a pure PG, shrink Carroll's minutes a bit and give Powell more minutes. But that won't likely happen.
      I agree with this idea pretty much. I think because it's become so apparent how deep we are with the 1-3's. Time to scale way back on the Lowry/Cojo both-on-the-floor lineups. We absolutely have to scale back Kyle's minutes. Bring Cory in as a straight sub for Kyle when needed. You've got Powell and Ross as interchangeable 2/3's for when you take Demar/Demarre out. I think our depth is so impressive right now and I'd wanna play more straight up sets where people know their specific role and straight-up replace their counterpart. This way you give minutes to everybody and nobody gets overworked, go with the hot hand/better matchup for the lion's share.

That said, I have to say that Casey is pissing me off WAY less than he did in the past when he wasn't going to what we'd all consider to be an obvious lineup. I feel like he's generally making adjustments really well this year and that's been a big part of why we're winning ball games.

Comment

Uhhhh...

no.

Comment

Carroll needs to have JJs role from last year. Play 2-3 games every 16-20 games and be an extra body in case of injuries.

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
            If Masai could actually pull off a trade fot a legit 4, wow
            Don't forget he traded the curse known as Bargnani

Comment

No.

There is a PF change on the roster that should be made but we all know that won't happen until the playoffs force it to.
              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                I've always suspected that Carroll at the 4 for big minutes was what they envisioned when they signed him. Talking about small ball all summer that year. But.... he can't physically handle playing that position, especially with the injuries.

Plus, given rebounding has been an issue, not sure about weakening that area more.

Things are going fine as is. I am happy if they just leave it alone for now. Evertone is playing well and they are winning.
                Think Carroll goes somewhere between 210 and 215 Lbs and it would be hard to envision his body holding up if he were to get an extended run at the 4 where he will be up against players who run 240ish on average. Thats 30 pounds he is giving up on a night in and night out basis.

Guts and a high pain threshhold are admirable traits but after about 6 weeks of it have to believe in the cold light of day his body simply screams uncle. Couple that with the very careful minutes regimen he is being held to as he rehabs the knee and foot and ankle problems and its hard to see DC playing the 4 this year if ever.
                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                - TGO

Comment

I wonder if its a coincidence that this team had their best defensive performance in the second half while Powell was starting. Not saying Powell is good enough to lift the whole team's defense consistently, he did last night though, but it is something to think about.

Comment

Nope! Maybe time to cut Lowry's minutes, run Cory as a pure PG, shrink Carroll's minutes a bit and give Powell more minutes. But that won't likely happen.

Carroll can't handle starting PF minutes.

If we're going to start a different PF, there is an obvious answer.
                    Very good point. 👌🏿👏🏿

Comment

A.I wrote: View Post
                      I wonder if its a coincidence that this team had their best defensive performance in the second half while Powell was starting. Not saying Powell is good enough to lift the whole team's defense consistently, he did last night though, but it is something to think about.
                      It's not a coincidence.

Carroll plays 26 mpg. Carroll has been utterly atrocious on D. He was brought in to be our stopper on the wings, and he ain't stopping shit right now. He's a liability, plain and simple. People think because he's hit some shots and gotten a few steals he's getting better, but his D has still been beyond awful. He can't guard on the ball. He is so busy ball watching looking for a steal that he gets caught standing still a ton where his man can just cut to the basket for free layups off the ball...in fact he gets caught out of position a lot off the ball. And on top of it, we ask him to guard the other team's best player every night which just magnifies the issue. Last night instead of him getting those minutes, they went to Norm, and him not getting minutes also meant that all our non-Demar/Lowry minutes went to Norm, Ross and Cojo, three very good perimeter defenders.

I'm not even kidding. He's been by far our worst defensive player. No, it's not JV guys, who was actually doing fine until his injury and was maybe our only consistent 2-way player in the starting lineup until he rolled his ankle...how did Amir, who's super mobile, look when he'd play on a bad ankle? Terrible. JV's slower and thus the problems are even worse when he's hobbled. Even DeMar, who we regularly try to hide on non-threats, has been more responsible than Carroll defensively.

Now, maybe Carroll still can improve and still needs to work back into shape...but we're almost two months in and if there's been improvement, it's been negligible.

**The caveat to last night is Boston has terrible options at the point of attack with Thomas sitting out. We should be able to contain/frustrate them and we destroyed them in the 2nd half by doing just that. They couldn't get any easy penetration (which really helped a poor shooting team in the 1st half knock down looks at a much higher than expected rate) and got very little action going into the paint.
                      Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Dec 10, 2016, 05:22 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        It's not a coincidence.

Carroll plays 26 mpg. Carroll has been utterly atrocious on D. He was brought in to be our stopper on the wings, and he ain't stopping shit right now. He's a liability, plain and simple. People think because he's hit some shots and gotten a few steals he's getting better, but his D has still been beyond awful. He can't guard on the ball. He is so busy ball watching looking for a steal that he gets caught standing still a ton where his man can just cut to the basket for free layups off the ball...in fact he gets caught out of position a lot off the ball. And on top of it, we ask him to guard the other team's best player every night which just magnifies the issue. Last night instead of him getting those minutes, they went to Norm, and him not getting minutes also meant that all our non-Demar/Lowry minutes went to Norm, Ross and Cojo, three very good perimeter defenders.

I'm not even kidding. He's been by far our worst defensive player. No, it's not JV guys, who was actually doing fine until his injury and was maybe our only consistent 2-way player in the starting lineup until he rolled his ankle...how did Amir, who's super mobile, look when he'd play on a bad ankle? Terrible. JV's slower and thus the problems are even worse when he's hobbled. Even DeMar, who we regularly try to hide on non-threats, has been more responsible than Carroll defensively.

Now, maybe Carroll still can improve and still needs to work back into shape...but we're almost two months in and if there's been improvement, it's been negligible.

**The caveat to last night is Boston has terrible options at the point of attack with Thomas sitting out. We should be able to contain/frustrate them and we destroyed them in the 2nd half by doing just that. They couldn't get any easy penetration (which really helped a poor shooting team in the 1st half knock down looks at a much higher than expected rate) and got very little action going into the paint.
                        Even in the first half they could really get much penetration - they were bailed out by guys like Avery Bradley hitting tough contested jumpers. The BOS announcers were slobbering all over him in the first half, and when he inevitably went cold in the second half, they went strangely quiet. The defence was actually pretty solid in terms of the looks thy were giving up all night.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Even in the first half they could really get much penetration - they were bailed out by guys like Avery Bradley hitting tough contested jumpers. The BOS announcers were slobbering all over him in the first half, and when he inevitably went cold in the second half, they went strangely quiet. The defence was actually pretty solid in terms of the looks thy were giving up all night.
                          I still thought we did better in the 2nd half in terms of being aggressive and not getting burned trying to do so.

It's also distressing with Carroll because if he can't get his act together defensively, could we even trade him? Would he have any value, even just as salary filler? Because even as filler I can't imagine a team wanting this Carroll until his contract is expiring.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            I still thought we did better in the 2nd half in terms of being aggressive and not getting burned trying to do so.

It's also distressing with Carroll because if he can't get his act together defensively, could we even trade him? Would he have any value, even just as salary filler? Because even as filler I can't imagine a team wanting this Carroll until his contract is expiring.
                            I seriously doubt Carroll has much trade value. His contract has too much term to be salary filler, and his injuries and age tank his value even when he's playing well.

That said, I'm not seeing the same defensive deficiencies from him that others are - he seems fine. Not great, like we hoped. But he's not a huge liability, in my eyes.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I seriously doubt Carroll has much trade value. His contract has too much term to be salary filler, and his injuries and age tank his value even when he's playing well.

That said, I'm not seeing the same defensive deficiencies from him that others are - he seems fine. Not great, like we hoped. But he's not a huge liability, in my eyes.
                              It looked like his knee was giving up a month ago. Different story now though. He's moving quite well imo

Comment

Insert PP as the starting 4, Norm as the starting 3. Use Carroll as a backup 3 AND 4. Play him 20-25 mins a game. Problem solved. Everyone's happy.

This will never happen though.

The reality is we need Carroll specially when we play teams like NY and Indiana and Chicago....you know teams with really good dynamic big SF's.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X