No announcement yet.

'The Raptors currently have the best offense in NBA History' - CBSSports.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'The Raptors currently have the best offense in NBA History' - CBSSports.com

Very interesting indeed ...

After being eliminated and maybe a little embarrassed by the Cleveland Cavaliers last year, a certain team has the best offense in NBA history right now. Yes, this team's offensive rating is better than that of the seven-seconds-or-less Suns, better than Magic's Lakers, Bird's Celtics and Jordan's Bulls. In their last 10 games, nine of them wins, they have scored an unfathomable 122.3 points per 100 possessions, outscoring its opponents by an average of 17.7 points per game.

Free throws: The Raptors make a league-best 81.8 percent of their free throws, and their free throw rate is third in the league. A large part of this is that DeMar DeRozan is shooting a career-high 9.2 free throws a game and making a career-high 85.5 percent of them.

Turnovers: Toronto has a turnover rate of 12.4 percent, which is third in the league, a rarely discussed benefit of not running an offense where the ball is flying around the court all the time.

Long-range accuracy: While the Raptors don't shoot a ton of 3s, they are making them better than anybody. They are making 40.1 percent of their 3-pointers, thanks in part to Kyle Lowry (44.4 percent on 7.0 attempts per game) and Terrence Ross (50 percent -- fifty percent! -- on 3.7 attempts per game) shooting better than ever.

Transition: Toronto doesn't seem like a deadly transition team because it does not push the pace all the time, but it ranks first in points off turnovers, seventh in fast break points and, per Synergy Sports, first in transition points per possession.

Usage distribution: DeRozan is using an absurd 34.2 percent of the Raptors' possessions when he's on the court, and Lowry's usage rate is 24.4 percent. None of their teammates comes even close to them. ...

Source

This is fun. Let's hope we'll keep hitting those shots until the end. Although I got a feeling our offence will look like 16/17 Mavs in the playoffs lol.

Comment

After mostly miserable basketball for 20 years, this feels even better than a good morning fart.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Dont care how good our offense is right now. Its fun and all but we're in big trouble.

Comment

Did Blake write his article first?
          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Machine wrote: View Post
            Dont care how good our offense is right now. Its fun and all but we're in big trouble.
            Nice.
            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Yeah, I was noticing how much it was similar in approach to Blake's as well (though regardless of timing, it's entirely plausible that two journalists, working separately, could both decide to do a breakdown on the Raptors advanced stats and how they play into this historic offense, and that both articles happen to get published on the same day.)

Comment

This team is special.

Comment

How big?
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                    How big?
                    Last edited by Chefff; Thu Dec 15, 2016, 01:42 AM.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                      Yeah, I was noticing how much it was similar in approach to Blake's as well (though regardless of timing, it's entirely plausible that two journalists, working separately, could both decide to do a breakdown on the Raptors advanced stats and how they play into this historic offense, and that both articles happen to get published on the same day.)
                      Yeah. They are of course very similar articles but this is perhaps what happens when you're running -
                      THE GREATEST OFFENSE IN NBA HISTORY!?@#$@?@$%^#@%$#%$#?!!?!!^%#!$#!!!!
                      People start talking about it, and what constitutes it.

WELCOME TO THE DISCUSSION RAPTORS FANS.

(...said the guy with 39 posts.)

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                        How big?
                        Just sayin. I dont know how people can see how bad our defense is and still think we're this dominant team. We are not gonna be able to win meaningful games by outscoring people like this at the end of the year. There are some serious problems that need to be addressed.

Comment

Just sayin. I dont know how people can see how bad our defense is and still think we're this dominant team. We are not gonna be able to win meaningful games by outscoring people like this at the end of the year. There are some serious problems that need to be addressed.
                          I agreed to an extent. I'm thoroughly enjoying how good we have looked offensively this season but I truly do think we can get too far in the playoffs specifically with how bad we've been defensively. Middle of the pack defense is fine throughout the season and you can still win a lot of games. We can maybe even get by in the first round with this kind of defense. But when you start talking ECFs again I don't know. Also our offense has never proven to hold up in the playoffs. If we stop hitting shots at the rate we are we definitely can't rely on our defense to get us through. That's really my only concern. But I guess I'll worry about that when the playoffs come. For now I'm just going to enjoy the ride
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Because even playing the way they are right now the most likely playoff run is an ECF loss. It'll take more than tightening up the defense to be favourites vs the Cavs.

The D should be better of course, the other reassurance I think is they show it in spurts. They regularly crack games open in quarters where they hold teams to 20 points in a quarter and score 30-40 themselves. That's a good sign. You take your foot off the pedal after that in the regular season in a way that doesn't happen in the playoffs (playing depth guys etc.).
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                              Very interesting indeed ...
                              That stat on turnovers is interesting. Could that have been by design all along?

Comment

Working...
                              X