Christmas Day Game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Day Game.

Will we ever get one ? Minnesota Is playing on Christmas Day and we are not? Come on league we've earned it.

Did we though? Christmas Day games are all about ratings. Don't get me wrong, I know that we've earned the xmas game, but business is business.

I think we'll get one if we make the NBA finals, or Conf. Finals(Raps vs Cavs ho ho ho) gets some 'serious storylines'.

Comment

I'll be doing what I always do on christmas: getting hammered with my family. Fuck American nba bullshit. Don't get me wrong I love basketball and the professional kind especially but I aint gonna beg for tnt and the league office to give us anything. Its whatever
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
        I'll be doing what I always do on christmas: getting hammered with my family. Fuck American nba bullshit. Don't get me wrong I love basketball and the professional kind especially but I aint gonna beg for tnt and the league office to give us anything. Its whatever
        Come on dude! Christmas Day games are fun! Well, at least it's a tradition for me. My fam always watch NBA games during Christmas party. (Not really surprising tbh..My dad is crazy basketball fan + Raps season ticket holder since.. '99 lol.)

I'm still in the UK though... My mates hate basketball, but missus loves it. So here's to really great games on Christmas Day!

Comment

Yeah they're just trying to anticipate good ratings, quite a few whiffs this year, though. I like Devlin's idea that you automatically rematch either the previous year's finals and the two conference finals losers (the consolation round) or you have two conference finals rematches. There's two games right there, they still have three more to pick whoever they want. Seems like final four rematches from the previous spring would guarantee some high-level matchups most years.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Matt and Leo had an interesting suggestion. That is, having the four conference finalists face off on Christmas Day.

Brilliant, if you ask me.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
              Come on dude! Christmas Day games are fun! Well, at least it's a tradition for me. My fam always watch NBA games during Christmas party. (Not really surprising tbh..My dad is crazy basketball fan + Raps season ticket holder since.. '99 lol.)

I'm still in the UK though... My mates hate basketball, but missus loves it. So here's to really great games on Christmas Day!
              Yeah to each his own, I'm gonna be the scrooge on this one. We've been in the league 21 years and they've only acknoweldged us for like 2 of those years and only because we had the leagues most exciting player for those 2 or 3 years..I've been jaded by the nba
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I've heard this "ratings" concept many times and it makes sense at first...but does it? I realize the Toronto market brings exactly zero ratings to american networks so Minnesota technically brings more. But is it really that much more? Ironic because it may be more Canadian eyes tuning in for our homegrown star Wiggins. But how does Minnesota's national footprint compare to the Raptors in the States? Don't they see the legions of Raptors fans that there are at all our road games (same thing at Jays games). Every once in a while, you'll hear a weird fact that the second biggest Greek city (by population) is Melbourne (Australia). I wouldn't be surprised if the second most common nationality in the States other than "American", is "Canadian". There is quite a Canadian diaspora down there and the US networks are missing out on it.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Matt and Leo had an interesting suggestion. That is, having the four conference finalists face off on Christmas Day.

Brilliant, if you ask me.
                  This makes way too much sense ... no way it'll fly with the league. Lol

Comment

The problem is that you have 10 spots available but not really. Lakers, Clippers, Bulls, Knicks and Celtics are all locks cause of their markets. Even the Nets would be there if they weren't quite so awful. Lebron is a lock cause Lebron. That leaves you with 4 (or even 3) spots and you're still missing the top two teams out west in the Spurs and Warriors. So, now you're down to two spots (maybe one) and you're saving those to market stars and throw bones to your small market owners: Westbrook, the slam dunk guy people vaguely remember from a slam dunk competition and the last two rookies of the year.

Raps will always have trouble making the cut unless they are the champs.

Comment

The problem is that you have 10 spots available but not really. Lakers, Clippers, Bulls, Knicks and Celtics are all locks cause of their markets. Even the Nets would be there if they weren't quite so awful. Lebron is a lock cause Lebron. That leaves you with 4 (or even 3) spots and you're still missing the top two teams out west in the Spurs and Warriors. So, now you're down to two spots (maybe one) and you're saving those to market stars and throw bones to your small market owners: Westbrook, the slam dunk guy people vaguely remember from a slam dunk competition and the last two rookies of the year.

Raps will always have trouble making the cut unless they are the champs.

Comment

Hey... NBA...

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                          I've heard this "ratings" concept many times and it makes sense at first...but does it? I realize the Toronto market brings exactly zero ratings to american networks so Minnesota technically brings more. But is it really that much more? Ironic because it may be more Canadian eyes tuning in for our homegrown star Wiggins. But how does Minnesota's national footprint compare to the Raptors in the States? Don't they see the legions of Raptors fans that there are at all our road games (same thing at Jays games). Every once in a while, you'll hear a weird fact that the second biggest Greek city (by population) is Melbourne (Australia). I wouldn't be surprised if the second most common nationality in the States other than "American", is "Canadian". There is quite a Canadian diaspora down there and the US networks are missing out on it.
                          Minny were supposed to be the new darlings of league pass and the casual fan - I suppose they still can be even if they've been underwhelming overall (compared to a lot of people's somewhat crazy expectations). Still fun to watch.

And I assumed that the majority of all the Raptors fans they show on the broadcasts were simply tourists.

It is simply about the money.
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Minny is fun to watch with Towns and Lavine, plus Canadians get to see Wiggins not be as good as most everyone thought he would be. They have played a lot of close, exciting games and actually have a better point differential than the 15-13 Knicks.

As for the Raptors - sucks for the players that they have to spend Christmas Day with their families instead of working.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              As for the Raptors - sucks for the players that they have to spend Christmas Day with their families instead of working.
                              It's like a slap in the face when you have to work on the Boxing Day... Not fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X