Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How the NBA's Best Offenses Attack (Warriors, Raptors, Rockets, Spurs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the NBA's Best Offenses Attack (Warriors, Raptors, Rockets, Spurs)

Thought this might provide some good discussion.

Something about this year's offence hough, Over bet(Vegas) is best in decades. Over bet was higher than usual from the start of the season though, not sure should we blame the Warriors, or the league...

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
      Something about this year's offence hough, Over bet(Vegas) is best in decades. Over bet was higher than usual from the start of the season though, not sure should we blame the Warriors, or the league...
      Probably the league.

Almost every rule change has been tilted in favor of making the game easier on offense for smaller players. The reasoning being that the average fan can "connect" a lot better to a guy like Steph Curry, who looks like them, rather than a superhuman like Shaq. When you look at the global popularity and insane money being generated by the NBA, you really can't argue with the marketing strategy.

Comment

I read/heard somewhere that over the past 2 weeks or so, the Raps' offense has been middle of the pack (16th or something in offensive rating). Although, I haven't bothered to verify this.

Assuming it's true, is this a minor blip, or an alarming trend?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I read/heard somewhere that over the past 2 weeks or so, the Raps' offense has been middle of the pack (16th or something in offensive rating). Although, I haven't bothered to verify this.

For some on this board, every blip is an alarming trend.

That span of time included a tough 6 game road trip, games against more than a few good teams, a couple of very cold shooting nights (brickng far more open looks than is to be expected), the PPat injury and some regression to the mean. Our offence is very good, but not all-time best good, at least in my opinion.

That is more a blip than a trend.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

The Fake Offense is finally showing its true colors

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              For some on this board, every blip is an alarming trend.

That span of time included a tough 6 game road trip, games against more than a few good teams, a couple of very cold shooting nights (brickng far more open looks than is to be expected), the PPat injury and some regression to the mean. Our offence is very good, but not all-time best good, at least in my opinion.

That is more a blip than a trend.
              Just a stretch of tough games, a tough schedule, and some bad basketball.

Since Boxing Day, they're 4-5, #15 ORTG, #22 DRTG, with a -2.6 NETRTG after having one of the best net ratings for much of the year, even when the defence was previously off.

The schedule for the rest of the season is one of the softest in the league. The optimist fan (do we have any?) will say finishing a very tough stretch of schedule 4-5 and holding onto #2 in the East is more of an accomplishment than we've seen from this team for most of the past 20 years. ESPN has Raptors rated with the 2nd toughest strength of schedule in the league to date (http://www.espn.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS) and I have a hard time understanding what their RPI index means but I think it means, after incorporating difficulty of opponents, they're ranking the Raptors as a top 5 team in the league (http://www.espn.com/nba/stats/rpi).

I mean 25-13 and #2 in the conference after playing one of the hardest schedules in the league to date is pretty good, isn't it?

Re: minor blips - that bold quote should be in this site's page header, lol. We've seen the team DRTG swing from bottom 10 in November to top 10 in December and now back down again. I think this team can defend pretty well when they really want to and have to, I expect the upcoming postseason to look more like 2016's than previous years. This team will still get ugly and win with effort when things tighten up and it comes to that. Hey remember Patterson's cold start? People here wanted to trade him in early November. Then he was the third best and most underrated player on the team in December. Then after his most recent start, coming back from injury, we get "he sucked" and "see why he's a bench player" comments. Trends come and go for individuals and the team. This team is still what we thought it would be, imho, a very good team that's still a notch below the top tier, e.g. Cavs, GSW, Spurs. The most reasonable outcome for the season at this point is another ECF loss. "This team sucks they'll lose in the second round!" They're beating everybody in the conference not named Cleveland, and they're better than everybody in the conference not named Cleveland.

OP + offence - I'd rank the Raptors behind GSW, Cavs, Rockets, and Spurs, especially come playoff time. Those teams still have systems and players that it's just nearly impossible to stop. DeRozan is having a great, great season, but is going to be an easier guard in the postseason than Durant, Lebron, Harden, etc. That's when Jonas is gonna shine
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I mean 25-13 and #2 in the conference after playing one of the hardest schedules in the league to date is pretty good, isn't it?
                Yes. Yes it is.*

The asterisk is made up of the losses to the Cavs and Warriors. Home wins against the Clips and Spurs would go some way to straightening that out. 2-0 against Utah and Boston and 1-1 against Houston show that this team is solidly in the tier below Cavs/GSW but, once you are a final four team, your benchmark changes.

Still, long way to go. Season isn't even half over, let alone the post-All Star break push....

Comment

Working...
                X