What needs to be fixed and how

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
    Masai is between a Pound the Rock and a hard place...

Whether he keeps Casey or not there seems it like unless we make a trade that drastically changes how this season is projecting that there is actually a good chance Lowry looks elsewhere...

You think Masai is going to run the risk of looking a fool to management and inadvertently put his own neck on the line?! MLSE will still be stuck with Casey's bill/contract and they could bring in a coach that does even worse and see their big FA leave for nothing.

Masai is going to need a miracle trade or he's getting exposed for selling people on Fool's Gold very soon.
    jimmie wrote: View Post
    Maybe not because he doesn't like Casey, but what if he thinks Casey is staying and the team can't win with Casey? In that case, he'd be an idiot not to consider somewhere with a better chance to win on his last NBA contract... And if he sucks it up and signs with Casey still here, what do you think are the chances Lowry stays content and quiet over the course of the contract?

Unless they turns things around, fast, Masai is going to have very difficult decisions to make... And maybe they will. Patterson back and some kind of trade to shake things up, who knows.
    It's been a stressful month, but I think we need to take a deep breath. Lowry/casey isn't cousins/karl or carliesimo/sprewell. Kyle is probably extremely frustrated after those last 2 losses, and a couple heat of the moment comments. Nothing to suggest this isn't still fixable.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
      It's been a stressful month, but I think we need to take a deep breath. Lowry/casey isn't cousins/karl or carliesimo/sprewell. Kyle is probably extremely frustrated after those last 2 losses, and a couple heat of the moment comments. Nothing to suggest this isn't still fixable.
      There is only a week left to do so better really take a deep one lol

Kyle has to see the light at the end of the tunnel and given his age it can't be too far out.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
        If he's looking to sign elsewhere and forgo the money, his first choice will be to go to an immediate championship contender, not Philly or another rebuilding situation. That's what aging all-stars typically do. Sixers won't be relevant for at least a few years, best case. Then you have to look at which legit contender needs a point guard. Rockets are probably the best case scenario for Lowry, but can they clear the cap space? Spurs maybe?

It'll be tough to find a better overall money + near-term contender situation for Lowry than the Raps, even if Casey stays. Pretty sure his agent, who gets the guaranteed commission, will tell him to make his decision rationally, not emotionally.
        I agree. But I do think there's a little wildcard in that Kyle is a super, super competitive guy.

If we get knocked out in the first round I could see him going to a team like the Spurs if they were to clear out Pau's salary.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
          Lucas Nogueira has been used in closing minutes in 10 of the possible 17 crunch time games since Xmas, for an average of 3.2 MPG in clutch situations (more than JV at 3 MPG). The Raptors have a -56 net rating with Nogueira on the court in the clutch in that time frame. Tough nut to crack, this one.
          Where can I get stats like this? That's really crazy

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
            You can make up stats and if they sound legit people will believe it

For instance, Demar has a 6.236 VORP on road night games when being guarded by men with arms shorter than 88 cm.

That's really, really good.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
              http://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-...mID=1610612761

Enjoy.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                You can make up stats and if they sound legit people will believe it

For instance, Demar has a 6.236 VORP on road night games when being guarded by men with arms shorter than 88 cm.

That's really, really good.
                Is that stat filtered for sock colour?
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                  How'd we go from eastern conference finals (first time ever) to a great start, a rough patch (where 2 key pieces were missing/are missing for most of it) to blow the team up and rebuild?

Thank goodness none of you are in charge of this lol. Yes it's a rough patch, but the foundation of a good to very good team is here (as has been proven) and although they might not be a threat to win the championship, neither are 28 other teams.

This is what being a competitive and good team looks like in the NBA. Yeah they're flawed and need a starting PF but that's not the bar for blowing up a team lmao.

Hilarious.
                  I don't think anyone has suggested blowing it up right now.

The hypothetical that jimmie mentioned is based on a playoff flameout, and elsewhere on the forum it's based on Kyle walking.

If Kyle walks, you have a limited amount of capspace to replace an irreplaceable amount of production. It's a fool's errand to try and contend with a core of DD/JV and our middling assets.

But if you want to create straw men to feel superior to, go right ahead.

Comment

Lucas Nogueira has been used in closing minutes in 10 of the possible 17 crunch time games since Xmas, for an average of 3.2 MPG in clutch situations (more than JV at 3 MPG). The Raptors have a -56 net rating with Nogueira on the court in the clutch in that time frame. Tough nut to crack, this one.
                    Look at last possession in Det game.
                    Demar sort of guarding (I believe) Harris on week side, Val in paint with his man, Bebe in paint helping Demar (???) guard Harris. Smith drives on Kyle then passes to wide open Pope in corner. Who was 10 feet away from him & guarding him??? Not a clue.
                    How the fuck do you leave SG all alone for 8 secs in the corner on strong side?
                    What is tough about it? Was there a time out just before? Casey explained who guards whom?
                    Can't blame lots of switching or PnR.

Comment

Mapko wrote: View Post
                      Look at last possession in Det game.
                      Demar sort of guarding (I believe) Harris on week side, Val in paint with his man, Bebe in paint helping Demar (???) guard Harris. Smith drives on Kyle then passes to wide open Pope in corner. Who was 10 feet away from him & guarding him??? Not a clue.
                      How the fuck do you leave SG all alone for 8 secs in the corner on strong side?
                      What is tough about it? Was there a time out just before? Casey explained who guards whom?
                      Can't blame lots of switching or PnR.
                      BeBe was slow in transition, DeMar picked up Morris. But when BeBe got back, they both just sat on Morris (the play took a few seconds to really start, so DeMar should have rotated across to the strong side of the court, or BeBe should have recognized the switch and run back on that side to start with - both kind of to blame there).
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                        I choose nobody; I'll leave that to Masai. But I would bet, given the choice between a guy who's about to make $30M+ until the age of 34 or 35 vs. a coach who makes a lot less and is not a risk of losing his sh*t when things get bad, Masai chooses the surer, cheaper bet. If the Raptors are still this bad come April, maybe Casey gets fired, too, but do you really want to take that financial chance on long-term Lowry in case it's NOT just the coach...?
                        Yeah if we choose a below average NBA head coach over an all star point guard that would be a giant mistake. What alternatives are there to Casey? Plenty. How many all star point guards are available?

Kyle is a very good player. DC is not a very good coach. I'll be quite happy with more of the same from Lowry, it's the more of the same from DC that has driven me nuts - for years. Why would we want more of the same from Casey?

Comment

big boi wrote: View Post
                          Yeah if we choose a below average NBA head coach over an all star point guard that would be a giant mistake. What alternatives are there to Casey? Plenty. How many all star point guards are available?

Kyle is a very good player. DC is not a very good coach. I'll be quite happy with more of the same from Lowry, it's the more of the same from DC that has driven me nuts - for years. Why would we want more of the same from Casey?
                          Of course you pick Kyle over Casey, but the idea that there's plenty of coaches that can replace him is false. casey is an average to above average coach when you consider his last few years. The other teams with coaches better than him are unlikely to fire their coaches. You could add retired coaches, but how many of them respect modern b-ball and things like analytics?

You could go the assistant route, but there's no track record to prove that some of those guys are better than Casey. BUT there is a pool of head coaches vs a single Kyle Lowry. IF that's the issue you keep Lowry.

Personally, I think the roster imbalance is a big issue. In particular this idea that you can have so many young, green players who are unplayable and be a serious playoff team. Poeltl, Siakim, Bruno, to a lesser extent VanVleet and Delon...if you include Powell that's 6 players on rook deals and only Powell is ready to play (VV and D are pretty close mind you -- but they play the same position which is redundant). Another issue with the roster imbalance, is a roster with only one PF who can play (2Pat), and one SF (DC), yet 3 Cs who can play ...

A lot of these close games shouldn't be close. They should be blow out wins, but they start games down a bunch of points because they don't have a real starting PF! Get a real starting PF, keep 2Pat on the bench, balance out the roster (less kids, more vets who know how to win at the end of the bench) and Casey's issues fade quite a bit.

Replacing Casey will be harder than most of us realize, but that's an off -season issue, right now, their 2 best players are having serious offensive seasons and it's getting washed away because every game they start with a significant disadvantage at the 4 and there are too many kids on the roster.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                            Replacing Casey will be harder than most of us realize, but that's an off -season issue, right now, their 2 best players are having serious offensive seasons and it's getting washed away because every game they start with a significant disadvantage at the 4 and there are too many kids on the roster.
                            Actually every game is being thrown away because of terrible play calls in clutch situations, questionable substitutions and rotations. Most of the recent games the Raptors have either led in the 4th, lost it in a close game or both. Sure Patterson injured is hurting the team, but there were a lot of games lost which could have been won pretty easily.

Comment

BeBe was slow in transition, DeMar picked up Morris. But when BeBe got back, they both just sat on Morris (the play took a few seconds to really start, so DeMar should have rotated across to the strong side of the court, or BeBe should have recognized the switch and run back on that side to start with - both kind of to blame there).
                              Irrelevant who screwed up.
                              As you pointed out earlier (& last 2 games kind re affirm that) what is the reason for having Bebe at the end?
                              What is his contribution (you kind of need Demar at the end of close games, at least for offence, Bebe gives you neither)?

Comment

A.I wrote: View Post
                                Actually every game is being thrown away because of terrible play calls in clutch situations, questionable substitutions and rotations. Most of the recent games the Raptors have either led in the 4th, lost it in a close game or both. Sure Patterson injured is hurting the team, but there were a lot of games lost which could have been won pretty easily.
                                But it's more than no Patterson, it's not having a real starter at the 4, or, start Patterson and have a real 4 behind him. It's the fact that the closest thing the raps have to a SF is a hurting DC. Yeah, there's a lot of poor calls, I've agreed with letting go Casey in the past, but this team is getting into tough spots they shouldn't be in to begin with because of the imbalanced roster.

If a kid needs an A on a test to graduate a year, and gets a B+, was the issue that they messed up in the clutch, or the fact that they didn't take the whole year seriously? Yes, it's probably time for Casey to be replaced, but if this team was constructed like most teams that think they're upper tier (with quality starters, positional balance and vets at the end of the bench), they wouldn't be dealing with as many clutch situations to begin with.

Also, I just don't think that there's as many good coaches as there used to be. Only so many coaches have evolved, fully grasped analytics and how to best implement its use in modern basketball. College has become more about recruiting than coaching... Let's just say, I'm not enthusiastic with the options in the NCAA or NBA to replace Casey.

Comment

Working...
                                X