Everything Serge Ibaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    He also, you know, hasn't had to actually play against a real C yet, unless you count Cody Zeller.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Well, we've got Towns tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• I think by December/January, once everyone is healthy *knock on wood*, I assume Nurse has a set 9-man rotation that's fluid between bench-to-starters, with 10-12 minutes being spotted for one or two guys based on the matchup (I hope that made sense, lol):

Lowry/VanVleet
      Green/Wright
      Leonard/OG
      Siakam
      JV/Ibaka

Miles/Powell probably in-&-out of lineup/rotation.

Nurse has already played Leonard/OG at the four, obviously with Siakam getting the bulk of his minutes there. I also do think we could see VanVleet-Lowry-Wright-Leonard-Siakam/Ibaka at least once at some point.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

He also, you know, hasn't had to actually play against a real C yet, unless you count Cody Zeller.

And I don't expect him to play a "real C" as you describe it. That is when JV will be called upon. But with the way things are trending most teams are trying to play small which is why Ibaka will likely see more time on the court than Val.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
          And I don't expect him to play a "real C" as you describe it. That is when JV will be called upon. But with the way things are trending most teams are trying to play small which is why Ibaka will likely see more time on the court than Val.
          Like I've been saying the way the league is trending JV would be lucky to crack 25 min/g. Ibaka is the better C for the way the league is now. The only issue has always been rebounding but, that has never been issue with Ibaka at center lineup. Called Ibaka starting as soon as the Kawhi trade was made...
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• JV is actually playing less under Nurse than he was under Casey. It kind of bothers me how people were calling Casey an idiot for how little he played JV, and now Nurse is doing it even less but he's making great decisions. His usage when he's on the floor isn't any higher than it has been either (it's lower than last year's).

Comment

Why would it impact OG at all? Just give him Powell's shooting guard minutes. No problem.

Because those minutes are actually Delon's? And Powell is just being used as a place holder for him?

There are 96 minutes to share at the 1 and 2 per game between Lowry, FVV, Wright and Danny Green, and Danny Green cannot play PG, yet gets 30 mpg. That leaves 18mpg at the 2 spot to share between FVV, Lowry, Wright when they're in those two point guard lineups. Not sure what minutes you're seeing to give to OG there.

Then at the 3 you have Kawhi eating up 35mpg and CJ basically getting the rest. So if you start playing Serge more at the 4, you're taking away PT from the only position where OG and Siakam are going to get minutes, so yes, no shit you're going to affect their playing time by doing that.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                Because those minutes are actually Delon's? And Powell is just being used as a place holder for him?

There are 96 minutes to share at the 1 and 2 per game between Lowry, FVV, Wright and Danny Green, and Danny Green cannot play PG, yet gets 30 mpg. That leaves 18mpg at the 2 spot to share between FVV, Lowry, Wright when they're in those two point guard lineups. Not sure what minutes you're seeing to give to OG there.

Then at the 3 you have Kawhi eating up 35mpg and CJ basically getting the rest. So if you start playing Serge more at the 4, you're taking away PT from the only position where OG and Siakam are going to get minutes, so yes, no shit you're going to affect their playing time by doing that.
                You're also forgetting Miles, who has not really offered anything all that significant so far. He moves to the fringe and may not play every night as the season goes on.

I know everyone loves how deep we are, but we're splitting 48 minutes between two guys who could easily soak up 55-60 mpg between them and our team wouldn't be worse off for it (*and even I think 55-60 would be rare, but if they were both at 25+ mpg we'd be fine). We're "deep", but that doesn't mean everyone in our top 10-11 is equal. We also may actually need to play them together in certain matchups, but we'll play more than enough teams that suck where we can get them reps in those units to help develop/preserve chemistry even when the matchup isn't ideal. Does anyone really think that if we played them for 5-10 minutes together against Charlotte that we would have struggled? I don't think Zeller/Hernangomez - Williams would have really been that tough to handle.

They're not awful on the floor together. They were inconsistent last year because by about halfway through the season, Ibaka could only be effective about 50% of the time. Our starting unit was basically the best in the league last year before that happened (and OG hit the rookie wall). This isn't some zany idea that couldn't possibly work. Any unit with them together would also be improved compared to last year by our better perimeter D. Again, we're talking a small amount of minutes that probably wouldn't even be every game.
                Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Oct 24, 2018, 01:41 AM.

Comment

JV is actually playing less under Nurse than he was under Casey. It kind of bothers me how people were calling Casey an idiot for how little he played JV, and now Nurse is doing it even less but he's making great decisions. His usage when he's on the floor isn't any higher than it has been either (it's lower than last year's).
                  It's been 4 games. Be kind of bothered if this trend continues well into the season.

I am also with golden on his position as to why Ibaka is getting the minutes he is.

Comment

JV is actually playing less under Nurse than he was under Casey. It kind of bothers me how people were calling Casey an idiot for how little he played JV, and now Nurse is doing it even less but he's making great decisions. His usage when he's on the floor isn't any higher than it has been either (it's lower than last year's).
                    If Nurse keeps this up, we'll be calling him an idiot eventually too. But he at least has stated that he intends to change stuff a lot, so there's room for hope this is a fad, not a trend. Hence the relative patience compared to Casey who had a long track record with this stuff.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      Like I've been saying the way the league is trending JV would be lucky to crack 25 min/g. Ibaka is the better C for the way the league is now. The only issue has always been rebounding but, that has never been issue with Ibaka at center lineup. Called Ibaka starting as soon as the Kawhi trade was made...
                      Yeah, they definitely need to do more team rebounding with Ibaka at C, but it's been working pretty good the last couple of games. Been noticing OG's effort on the glass a lot more lately too.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        If Nurse keeps this up, we'll be calling him an idiot eventually too. But he at least has stated that he intends to change stuff a lot, so there's room for hope this is a fad, not a trend. Hence the relative patience compared to Casey who had a long track record with this stuff.
                        Dan, do you really see success for the Raptors against say GSW, with JV on the floor for 30 mins. a game? If we should make it to the finals against them that is.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          Dan, do you really see success for the Raptors against say GSW, with JV on the floor for 30 mins. a game? If we should make it to the finals against them that is.
                          Considering their big move in the summer was to get Cousins, yes, probably. They likely didn't sign him so he can play 15 minutes. Expect something like at least 25-30 mpg from him, and no one else we have would be a good matchup other than JV.

Comment

I think this can be attributed to both small sample size but also a complete redefinition of roles. JV was Casey's primary starting centre. He wasn't used and played less as the game went on. Nurse has made the decision to platoon Serge an JV. That would instantly lead to a decrease in his minutes but makes him much more useful in the minutes he is there (hopefully)

Comment

Considering their big move in the summer was to get Cousins, yes, probably. They likely didn't sign him so he can play 15 minutes. Expect something like at least 25-30 mpg from him, and no one else we have would be a good matchup other than JV.

But that wasn't really a big move though was it? I mean for any other team yes, but for GSW it's more like insurance for like $5M. Not as convinced as you that he'll play any significant minutes this season. Not a lot of bigs like him though..

Comment

• A coach is considered an idiot for not giving jv 25+ mins. Honestly who do guys think this guy is?

The success of this team does not hinge on JV playing a lot. As its been proven over and over again throughout his career.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X