Everything Serge Ibaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    He always played well at center. The only difference now is that he is playing there full time now.
    There's already like 3-4 articles out there that are pointing to his shot selection being drastically changed (i.e. more shots in the paint). Serge's stretch 4 role card has been ripped up and getting rid of Casey, DeMar or both has enabled that.

Comment

• Ibaka is basically biyombo with a great shot and post moves. The "modern nba coach" (casey, orlando) wasnt seeing the forest through the trees and were trying to make him Toronto Patrick Patterson
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        There's already like 3-4 articles out there that are pointing to his shot selection being drastically changed (i.e. more shots in the paint). Serge's stretch 4 role card has been ripped up and getting rid of Casey, DeMar or both has enabled that.
        Our starting lineup is basically 5 out. Siakam isn’t a good 3 point shooter, but he is a big and a good enough ball handler to beat big men off the dribble, so you can live with that. DeMar was a SG, and unfortunately for him, you need a guard and wing players who can shoot the 3 consistently. There is so much more spacing for Ibaka to take advantage on pick and rolls and pick and pops.

Nurse is living up to the hype of him being an offensive mind.

Comment

• Not sure where to put this, could go anywhere but this is as good a place as any..... On the Raptors starting unit.

In a perfect world, a player would know his role. His name and college would get announced before every game. The spotlight would shine on him. But winning, at least in the Raptors’ locker room, trumps that ideal.

“You end up learning how to play with everyone on the court. Last year, we had two different teams,” Siakam said of a starting five and reserves. “This year, anyone can play with anyone. That’s cool.
          http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la...107-story.html

EDIT: There's some good quotes in there from Nurse and Doc Rivers, too, but the Siakam one jumped out at me.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
            Not sure where to put this, could go anywhere but this is as good a place as any..... On the Raptors starting unit.

EDIT: There's some good quotes in there from Nurse and Doc Rivers, too, but the Siakam one jumped out at me.
            Nice find. "Anybody being able to play with anybody" will be a real advantage when the playoff chess games start. What's surprising is that the Raps should really be racking up losses while they're going through this learning curve. Being able to play with a range of different players is a good indicator of true talent vs. system dependency, which is another factor that's important to find out before they get exploited in the playoffs. The bench is definitely struggling with this, as bench players should. Last year's bench mob might have been a bit of a mirage.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
              Not sure where to put this, could go anywhere but this is as good a place as any..... On the Raptors starting unit.

Good article. Another interesting quote:

“I wouldn’t call (using multiple starting lineups) hard, but it’s not easy, either. They’ve been really unselfish and pretty good about it,” Nurse said. “But, it doesn’t mean I haven’t had a lot of meetings in my office with certain guys.”
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                Good article. Another interesting quote:
                Certain guys = jv and Serge lol

I doubt OG gonna raise a stink where his 23 minutes come from

Comment

Nice find. "Anybody being able to play with anybody" will be a real advantage when the playoff chess games start. What's surprising is that the Raps should really be racking up losses while they're going through this learning curve. Being able to play with a range of different players is a good indicator of true talent vs. system dependency, which is another factor that's important to find out before they get exploited in the playoffs. The bench is definitely struggling with this, as bench players should. Last year's bench mob might have been a bit of a mirage.
                  This.

To me, the exeuction down the stretch of games, the play calling and sets in regards to Nurse, and just having a worldly-more talented team than last season is why they're even 11-1 in the first place.

Ibaka and JV are having incredible seasons, one is having a revival, the other is significantly efficient. Plus, the young guys look so much better--Pascal and OG have been studs this year, VanVleet, despite struggling with the shot, had some big games to start the year. Delon is looking like Delon again.

The experimenting only seems to hurt them in periods, like giving up a run, etc. Nurse counters quickly and there's way too many good players to lose.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    Ibaka is basically biyombo with a great shot and post moves. The "modern nba coach" (casey, orlando) wasnt seeing the forest through the trees and were trying to make him Toronto Patrick Patterson
                    Vogel on the record as saying he didn't feel he could play Ibaka in a small ball 5 unit because he had to play Vucevic and Biyombo, too. Nick Nurse is the first coach to have the stones to move one of Ibaka or JV to the bench every game (let's not forget it's been nearly a 50/50 split starting so far) and to never play them together, even though they are two of the top four contracts on his team.

Nick Nurse for CoY!
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                      Vogel on the record as saying he didn't feel he could play Ibaka in a small ball 5 unit because he had to play Vucevic and Biyombo, too. Nick Nurse is the first coach to have the stones to move one of Ibaka or JV to the bench every game (let's not forget it's been nearly a 50/50 split starting so far) and to never play them together, even though they are two of the top four contracts on his team.

Nick Nurse for CoY!
                      As others have mentioned, it's also made possible by not having to make room for Poeltl.

Wonder how much Masai/Nick had this in mind as a net positive when Jakob was shipped out in the deal. Don't get me wrong, I love Jakob and think he's gonna be great. But I don't know that Serge would be getting this incredible opportunity otherwise. Amazing to think that virtually everyone to a man was ready to ship Serge out on his ass for a bag of basketballs.

Comment

Ya, I didn't expect us to be this good this soon, either. New coach + 2 new starters....I figured we'd be prodding along a few games over .500 for the first 20-30 games.

Also didn't think Kawhi would look this good this soon.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          Ya, I didn't expect us to be this good this soon, either. New coach + 2 new starters....I figured we'd be prodding along a few games over .500 for the first 20-30 games.

Also didn't think Kawhi would look this good this soon.
                          I thought some of those fears were overstated because this team is really talented, you're still going to beat the Atlantas and Orlandos while playing around with lineup combinations and integrating a couple of new guys.

But I wouldn't have hoped for an 11-1 start, maybe something like 7-3 in the first 10 games at the top end.

Comment

• Lets not forget people we went 13-3 I believ last year and usually come out really strong. This is nothing new, a great October and November. Now, I'm NOT saying this is fools gold, but I am saying I'm really really looking forward to the 2 warriors games in the next month.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Lets not forget people we went 13-3 I believ last year and usually come out really strong. This is nothing new, a great October and November. Now, I'm NOT saying this is fools gold, but I am saying I'm really really looking forward to the 2 warriors games in the next month.
                              Started out 7-5 last season before things really clicked and they started reeling off good strings of wins.

I thought Keon was off the bottle?

Comment

• If I remember, the Celtics had a really hot start after their first loss (and Hayward's injury). And Raps were playing catch up and finally surpassed them before the ASG.

Our best start I believe was the Lou year. We were playing such great fools gold basketball at that time.

Comment

Working...
                                X