Everything Serge Ibaka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
    Serge is the best in the decade by a wide margin...

Who's the best now?

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Who's the best now?
      Considering its Jan 1 of the new decade and nobody's played yet.. I'll go with me (well I'm tied for first anyway).

Although after tonight's games it will probably be either Whiteside, Davis, Isaac or Lopez. All four are playing tonight, and all four lead the league in blocks per game.

Comment

• Serge gets a shout out by Zach in his Ten Things article this week:
        https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-lakers-lebron

7. The steadiness of Serge Ibaka

Three years ago, when the Raptors re-signed Ibaka to a three-year, $65 million deal, he appeared at risk of accelerating decline. He had lost some of the athleticism that made him such a feared all-court destroyer on defense. That happens to everyone. Good players compensate with improved feel and IQ. But Ibaka hadn't made much progress reading the game.

He still hasn't, really. But Ibaka staved off further decline, and established himself as a bulwark on both ends for the injury-ravaged Raptors.

Moving to center almost full time has helped. It simplifies Ibaka's responsibilities. He screens for Kyle Lowry and Fred VanVleet, slips into space, and flicks up midrangers. He has gorgeous chemistry with both Toronto point guards. Lowry could probably find Ibaka blindfolded, and has made a point over the past two seasons of feeding him in his sweet spots.

Ibaka's offensive rebounding and free throws have bounced back to near-prime levels since his shift to center. He is still explosive on second jumps, and has a good sense for when to chase put-backs -- when he has a crease, or when the Raptors need a jolt of energy.

His passing reads at center are more basic. Ibaka will never make the pass that surprises the defense, but he can make the simple one to the next link in the chain. That's enough.

Playing center parks him near the rim more, and he's still a deterrent there; opponents have hit just 49% of shots at the basket with Ibaka nearby, 9th lowest among 113 rotation players who challenge at least three such shots per game.

Remember: The Raptors don't win the title without Ibaka. He had some massive moments in their run: 17 points in Game 7 against the Sixers, including three gigantic triples (remember that contested pull-up over Ben Simmons from the right corner?), and 50 points over the past three games of the Finals. Nick Nurse busted out the Ibaka-Marc Gasol double-center look against Philly, and it worked.

Maybe Ibaka never became the player we dreamed he could be. Instead, he grew more comfortable in his own skin, and honed his core skills. There is dignity in that.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          Serge gets a shout out by Zach in his Ten Things article this week:
          https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-lakers-lebron
          Damn straight. I say it here all the time, he is so underappreciated
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• If this were the late early 2000s, Serge would probably be making his first AS game.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Damn straight. I say it here all the time, he is so underappreciated
              He isn't the only one.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

He isn't the only one.
                so you don't think we should trade OG to start brissett or let fred walk because his production is covered between davis and shamorie ponds?

Comment

• For all the serge deniers out there..
                  To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

For all the serge deniers out there..
                    Yeah..but were .500 team with Gasol out, ppl forget how good Gasol is when his center for raps, raps defense is another level with him, Ibaka is very erratic, gambles, yes he block shots, but makes mistakes..Gasol doesn't give offense like he used 2, but his the cog the make raps D..top 5 in league.
                    "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                    My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post

Yeah..but were .500 team with Gasol out, ppl forget how good Gasol is when his center for raps, raps defense is another level with him, Ibaka is very erratic, gambles, yes he block shots, but makes mistakes..Gasol doesn't give offense like he used 2, but his the cog the make raps D..top 5 in league.
                      We both agree Gasol is better. But when thinking about trading this guy, we gotta remember his huge moments in the playoffs. We gotta remember the insurance in case Gasol goes down again. We gotta remember the ability to play big with a Gasol-Ibaka frontcourt. Gotta remember he is the heart of the lockerroom. I'd Only trade this guy if the value we get back is equal or better to the specific value Ibaka gives us. either for the playoffs or for 2 years from now. I think that's going to be hard to find
                      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                          Product of surviving through 2 eras
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

And having some skillzzzz

Comment

It's quite a split between his first 5 years and latter 6 years in the league.

First 5 years: 45 3PM, 997 BLK
                              Final 6 years (this year included): 457 3PM, 660 BLK
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Guys like KAT and AD should beat that eventually I bet (haven't looked up their numbers). But still pretty cool to lead the league in anything (in a positive way of course).

Comment

Working...
                                X