Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lewro
    replied
    DX has a new feature on Dillon Brooks on the front page. He's having a great year.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...on-Brooks-5814

Leave a comment:

• Rand
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    I much prefer less coaching - let the players play. Makes for a far more exciting and interesting game. I flipped by the Duke-Miami game last weekend and the score was in the 30s - I assumed they were still in the first but there were less than 10 minutes left in the second half. That isn't basketball or how it's meant to be played.

For me, a lot of it could be fixed with a 24-second shot clock and simply cracking down on the tackling, holding, pushing and blocking that defenders get away with. Of course, that slow, plodding style of play favours lesser teams and those lesser teams are far more prevalent than the good teams so the vested interests won't likely support rule changes that work against them.
    Regular season games are a toss up unless you get two ranked teams or rivalry games. So you have to pick and choose. That's why I prefer March Madness. Some reg season games are going to be plodding but average NCAA game has somewhere in the 70 possessions per game whereas NBA is close to 100 so that makes a huge a difference in scoring. Even looking at the average Duke Miami game was an exception not the rule so using one example to make a blanket conclusion of the entire collegiate ranks with thousands of amateurs playing is what one calls making a leap of a conclusion isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• lewro
    replied
    "That isn't basketball or how it's meant to be played."

Fair enough, that's your opinion. I think the old NBA has more in common with NCAA and the invention of basketball by extension. Having a shot clock, or even dribbling/layups are more modern adaptions. I think the style you prefer and the game we see today has more in common with the old ABA. You're right, it is more popular and predominant game.
    As I said, to each his own.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    lewro wrote: View Post
    I like that there's more coaching. Totally different than ISO ball and stars running their teams.
    I much prefer less coaching - let the players play. Makes for a far more exciting and interesting game. I flipped by the Duke-Miami game last weekend and the score was in the 30s - I assumed they were still in the first but there were less than 10 minutes left in the second half. That isn't basketball or how it's meant to be played.

For me, a lot of it could be fixed with a 24-second shot clock and simply cracking down on the tackling, holding, pushing and blocking that defenders get away with. Of course, that slow, plodding style of play favours lesser teams and those lesser teams are far more prevalent than the good teams so the vested interests won't likely support rule changes that work against them.

Leave a comment:

• lewro
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    I find the college game way over-coached, which is not to say it is well-coached, and the style of play generally just doesn't appeal to me.

I think some of the lower quality of play is due, at least in part, to the sheer number of solid programs now as opposed to 30, 20, 15 or even 10 years ago. You don't have the same concentration of talent, so, while there are more decent teams than ever before, there aren't as many good, elite or great teams in any given year (if any).
    I like that there's more coaching. Totally different than ISO ball and stars running their teams.

Yeah, definitely a tonne more programs that dilutes the talent level. I like that there are mid major underdogs like Wichita State and non major jem players like dame lillard. The majors have such a recruitment edge that they have perennial one and done super teams. It's kinda exciting but I think I prefer the talent to be spread out. I would consider those teams elite, maybe to the point of being unfairly elite. UK has had some ridiculous teams.

Leave a comment:

• lewro
    replied
    Rand wrote: View Post
    And add to that the whole tribal nature of college ball. Americans are a lot more "tribal" about their collegiate roots than Canadians. It's part of their core identity. So they just go ape shit over their teams.
    Totally and multiple teams meeting on neutral courts with all their fanbases bused in to town. Awesome! If you don't like March madness, you don't like basketball! Jk

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Mess wrote: View Post
    You definitely can't beat the excitement of it being win or go home but that glosses over the quality of play which is sometimes lacking. "Team play" & "team ball" are what you get when the players aren't good enough to get their own shots. A lot of those memorable crazy finishes to games are because of players fucking up. Hey I love it, love the competition but it's not the same quality of ball.
    I find the college game way over-coached, which is not to say it is well-coached, and the style of play generally just doesn't appeal to me.

I think some of the lower quality of play is due, at least in part, to the sheer number of solid programs now as opposed to 30, 20, 15 or even 10 years ago. You don't have the same concentration of talent, so, while there are more decent teams than ever before, there aren't as many good, elite or great teams in any given year (if any).

Leave a comment:

• Rand
    replied
    In general, I agree but you also see very good players that don't get the same kind of plays run for them. Like Wiggins might score 10 pts at KU but be protected as a 20-30pt scorer at the NBA level.
    The shot clock and length of the game is different too. A lot more focus on moving the ball and team play to execute an offense.
    I certainly appreciate the quality of nba players but I like NCAA basketball more I think. To each their own.
    And add to that the whole tribal nature of college ball. Americans are a lot more "tribal" about their collegiate roots than Canadians. It's part of their core identity. So they just go ape shit over their teams.

Leave a comment:

• lewro
    replied
    Mess wrote: View Post
    You definitely can't beat the excitement of it being win or go home but that glosses over the quality of play which is sometimes lacking. "Team play" & "team ball" are what you get when the players aren't good enough to get their own shots. A lot of those memorable crazy finishes to games are because of players fucking up. Hey I love it, love the competition but it's not the same quality of ball.
    In general, I agree but you also see very good players that don't get the same kind of plays run for them. Like Wiggins might score 10 pts at KU but be protected as a 20-30pt scorer at the NBA level.
    The shot clock and length of the game is different too. A lot more focus on moving the ball and team play to execute an offense.
    I certainly appreciate the quality of nba players but I like NCAA basketball more I think. To each their own.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Nice article. My first intro to Dylan Brooks was this:

At first quite amused...like wtf.

Then I found out he was from Canada and was supposedly a good player. Horrified.

Hope he at least practises that move ...a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Mess
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lewro
    replied
    TBH March Madness is way better than NBA playoffs. It's where team play and greatness can triumph over individual talent and greatness. NBA's game is geared towards highlighting individual talent. NCAA is more focused on team ball.
    100℅

And for some players it's the biggest/last gm of their lives. They're not millionaires but some are competing to get that money. All games are do or die, underdogs, history and so many gms at once. Ahhhh so exciting!

Leave a comment:

• Rand
    replied
    Interesting read. Ducks were my team last yr. I'm a big fan of Brooks. I figured he got exposure from Findlay prep (same school as Anthony bennet). AAU has so much influence now. There's an OK doc about AAU on Netflix now. Same guy that made hoop dreams.
    Draft thread was default March madness spot last yr. Not sure how much people watch the tourney? For me it's best event in basketball, outside of the draft. So much fun! Great games.
    TBH March Madness is way better than NBA playoffs. It's where team play and greatness can triumph over individual talent and greatness. NBA's game is geared towards highlighting individual talent. NCAA is more focused on team ball.

Leave a comment:

• lewro
    replied
    ran into this story about Canadians playing with Oregon Ducks. I guess Ducks are the Canadian team in the March Madness eh? BTW where do March Madness threads go?

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/inde...incart_m-rpt-2
    Interesting read. Ducks were my team last yr. I'm a big fan of Brooks. I figured he got exposure from Findlay prep (same school as Anthony bennet). AAU has so much influence now. There's an OK doc about AAU on Netflix now. Same guy that made hoop dreams.
    Draft thread was default March madness spot last yr. Not sure how much people watch the tourney? For me it's best event in basketball, outside of the draft. So much fun! Great games.

Leave a comment:

• Rand
    started a topic How Canadian prospects ended up at Oregon Ducks

How Canadian prospects ended up at Oregon Ducks

ran into this story about Canadians playing with Oregon Ducks. I guess Ducks are the Canadian team in the March Madness eh? BTW where do March Madness threads go?

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/inde...incart_m-rpt-2
Working...
X