Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DanH wrote: View Post
    Now that was a fun game! Started off terribly, everyone looked bad - DeRozan getting beat off cuts, not boxing out (seriously, how many times did DD lose Porter to let him slide in for an offensive board?), trying to isolate instead of using screens; Lowry playing hesitantly and then goes out with that cut on his brow and misses a huge chunk of time, JV looking totally lost on both ends, Siakam looking very much like a rookie (but how about those 20 foot jumpers? If he can hit that consistently...). Just rough.

    But bench energy to the rescue! Lowry goes to the dressing room and doesn't come back for a while and we get our first real Powell time. And he won himself some minutes in this one - I don't know what happened to Carroll (was he hurt? I had the second half on the Wizards feed) but he got no minutes later on and Powell got them all, even over Ross late in the game. Great job by him to defend Wall capably. Casey smartly kept throwing guys at him until something stuck and Powell stuck. Poeltl was fun, if problematic at times - by the end I was glad he fouled out, but he provided real value around the middle of the game. Patterson and CoJo of course broug their usual stuff, and Ross came in and caught fire to bring the team back in it in the first half. Nice job by the bench guys.

    And then second half, flip the script. JV suddenly grabbing boards and, well, less lost defensively. Made some nice passes too, with three assists in the night plus a gorgeous pass to a cutting Siakam who blew the easy layup. Mostly his physicality made a difference, I'll come back to this point. Lowry stepped up and was really aggressive on both ends, hit some back breaking threes off the bounce and found his way inside more. And DeMar. What to even say. Guy is killing it, and doing it smartly - getting to the line, getting deep into the paint, and getting wide open jumpers. He's hitting a few tough ones too, but those are gravy with all the good looks he's getting. And everyone seemed to decide to care defensively. Suddenly the only offence the Wiz got was when Wall could take advantage in the PnR one on one. No one else could do anything. Speaking of which, how hilariously bad is the Wiz all-bench unit? Reminds of the Pacers series last year - just throw the lead away. Was happy to see it, of course.

    Speaking of wide open jumpers, even though JV struggled in this one, there's one area of his game that I think has improved this year - he just sets bone crunching screen after bone crunching screen and DeMar is using him to full effect to get some beautiful looks, and also to take advantage of guys chasing him late to draw fouls. 10 screen assists in this one, and you don't get a screen assist for setting up a foul. Poeltl was fantastic for a stretch as well (very aggressive with his screening, eventually fouled out on one where he didn't get away with it - I like that he lives on that edge) with 7 screen assist in only 17 minutes, plus 12 contested shots - very active, definitely effective in short bursts. Anyway, JV is second in the league in screen assists per game this year, at 6.5, just behind Gortat (who averages 38 MPG, 6 more than JV). Part of why any possession where no screen is set (there are surprisingly several each game) pisses me off - DeRozan is great off screens (Lowry too) and JV is getting to be elite at setting them. Use what you have!

    Anyway, all in all a very positive game! We're seeing this team have rough patches and overcome them to win anyway. Sign of a simply superior team. Any road win is a good one, and this one was pretty enjoyable.
    Perfect summary of the game. I like this screen assist thing. I didn't even know that was a thing you could keep track of. Casey kept saying Poeltl was a good screen setter. I guess he was right. I'm glad JV in improving with that as well.
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

    Comment


    • GLF wrote: View Post
      Perfect summary of the game. I like this screen assist thing. I didn't even know that was a thing you could keep track of. Casey kept saying Poeltl was a good screen setter. I guess he was right. I'm glad JV in improving with that as well.
      Poeltl looks like he'll be a good defender as well, so far looks very good.

      Comment


      • rocwell wrote: View Post

        Dammit Luke, you jinx them! They are tied in the 9th now!

        Comment


        • Wizards had some big individual performances but their margin of error is so small. If Beal isn't making threes they are in big trouble. Raps +21 from three. And that Wizards bench is awful. They will be hard pressed to be a playoff team.

          And Derozan. Wow.

          Comment


          • Beal is so overrated, it's not even funny. Especially on this board. Yes, he had a couple of clutch playoff series, but I'm so glad the Wiz maxed him out because that screws them over for awhile. He's streaky, injury prone, undersized and really difficult to build around.

            DeMar, though. Wow. Just want to point out that I was the first around here to peg his offense as being elite, back in 2014. Of course, I've also had him traded a few dozen times since then. lol.

            Comment


            • golden wrote: View Post
              Beal is so overrated, it's not even funny. Especially on this board. Yes, he had a couple of clutch playoff series, but I'm so glad the Wiz maxed him out because that screws them over for awhile. He's streaky, injury prone, undersized and really difficult to build around.

              DeMar, though. Wow. Just want to point out that I was the first around here to peg his offense as being elite, back in 2014. Of course, I've also had him traded a few dozen times since then. lol.
              Credit where it is due. I like his 121 ORTG on 38% usage this year - no argument whether THAT's elite.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

              Comment


              • Are screen assists a new stat? Amazed it hasn't been brought up as much in the past. I like that one.

                Comment


                • So, how long until carroll becomes this year's whipping boy around here? Ive been a big carroll backer for a long time but he's starting to lose me. We keep waiting and waiting for this jyd 2.0 he anointed himself..and it always "he's not quite 100%"..maybe he was a product of the budenhlolzer system? I mean when you're the 5th best starter on a team with 4 all stars that moved the ball beautifully, you're gonna look good spotting up for 3s and cutting. I know he's never gonna fall out of caseys rotation...but man #freenorm. Powell NEEDS to be in the regular rotation. He just brings so much energy. Even being out there with Ross seemed to energize ross another 3 notches like "woah, the kid is out there with me he can't outshine me"

                  Great game.
                  It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                  Comment


                  • LJ2 wrote: View Post
                    Are screen assists a new stat? Amazed it hasn't been brought up as much in the past. I like that one.
                    NBA started tracking it publicly last playoffs. Now available every game.

                    Other new stats: deflections, loose balls recovered, drawn charges, and contested shots.

                    See here:
                    http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#..._ASSISTS&dir=1
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

                    Comment


                    • DanH wrote: View Post
                      NBA started tracking it publicly last playoffs. Now available every game.

                      Other new stats: deflections, loose balls recovered, drawn charges, and contested shots.

                      See here:
                      http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#..._ASSISTS&dir=1
                      Really like that they started tracking deflections. Under-rated defensive ability.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                      If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                      Comment


                      • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        So, how long until carroll becomes this year's whipping boy around here? Ive been a big carroll backer for a long time but he's starting to lose me. We keep waiting and waiting for this jyd 2.0 he anointed himself..and it always "he's not quite 100%"..maybe he was a product of the budenhlolzer system? I mean when you're the 5th best starter on a team with 4 all stars that moved the ball beautifully, you're gonna look good spotting up for 3s and cutting. I know he's never gonna fall out of caseys rotation...but man #freenorm. Powell NEEDS to be in the regular rotation. He just brings so much energy. Even being out there with Ross seemed to energize ross another 3 notches like "woah, the kid is out there with me he can't outshine me"

                        Great game.
                        I think it's this. JYD 0.2 owes coach Bud some serious cash.

                        Comment


                        • DanH wrote: View Post
                          NBA started tracking it publicly last playoffs. Now available every game.

                          Other new stats: deflections, loose balls recovered, drawn charges, and contested shots.

                          See here:
                          http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#..._ASSISTS&dir=1
                          I think I might like deflections better than steals in terms of defensive gauge. Loose balls recovered I think I like.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

                          Comment


                          • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            So, how long until carroll becomes this year's whipping boy around here? Ive been a big carroll backer for a long time but he's starting to lose me. We keep waiting and waiting for this jyd 2.0 he anointed himself..and it always "he's not quite 100%"..maybe he was a product of the budenhlolzer system? I mean when you're the 5th best starter on a team with 4 all stars that moved the ball beautifully, you're gonna look good spotting up for 3s and cutting. I know he's never gonna fall out of caseys rotation...but man #freenorm. Powell NEEDS to be in the regular rotation. He just brings so much energy. Even being out there with Ross seemed to energize ross another 3 notches like "woah, the kid is out there with me he can't outshine me"

                            Great game.
                            Yeah, competition is a good thing, especially for a guy like Ross bc he has trouble keeping focus and applying himself. Man, if Powell is the guy to finally crack the shell of Ross I'd make him assistant coach of discipline and put him to work making a man outta bebe. Sgt. Serious.

                            Comment


                            • lewro wrote: View Post
                              Yeah, competition is a good thing, especially for a guy like Ross bc he has trouble keeping focus and applying himself. Man, if Powell is the guy to finally crack the shell of Ross I'd make him assistant coach of discipline and put him to work making a man outta bebe. Sgt. Serious.
                              Maybe it's not Ross we need to be discussing. Ross seems cemented as the first wing off the bench. Don't think he'll ever be reliable enough to be playing 32mpg as a starter.

                              But Powell can definitely be that Tony Allen type starter required to play D first, and make open shots second.

                              Need Carroll to string a few good games together, and then he becomes a nice trade chip to land that elusive PF we need

                              Comment


                              • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                So, how long until carroll becomes this year's whipping boy around here? Ive been a big carroll backer for a long time but he's starting to lose me. We keep waiting and waiting for this jyd 2.0 he anointed himself..and it always "he's not quite 100%"..maybe he was a product of the budenhlolzer system? I mean when you're the 5th best starter on a team with 4 all stars that moved the ball beautifully, you're gonna look good spotting up for 3s and cutting. I know he's never gonna fall out of caseys rotation...but man #freenorm. Powell NEEDS to be in the regular rotation. He just brings so much energy. Even being out there with Ross seemed to energize ross another 3 notches like "woah, the kid is out there with me he can't outshine me"

                                Great game.
                                I'm prepared to give Carroll an early season pass. He hasn't played much over the last 12 months and he never really had much of a chance to play with a set cast of characters last year because of all the injuries. He's also a couple years older and removed from ATL and, again, he's obviously got some chronic pains going on as an older player, so, he's not going to be 2013 Carroll.

                                Having said that, he definitely needs to show more on the defensive side of the floor. I'm not seeing the activity and energy on that end of things that he can bring, which, along with his 3pt shooting, is the entire reason they brought him to Raptorland. Without that impact (deflections, covering passing lanes, denying the ball, steals, rebounds, shot contests, disrupting plays, etc) he's just basically a warm body out there.

                                But, it's only 4 games. Let's see how he looks come December.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X