Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    The one knock on Masai so far is that as brilliant as he is with transactions, he's only ever acquired depth, and value. He's never cashed in depth for a star
    Does "cashing depth for a superstar" really work, though? Firstly, the opportunities are so rare, that it's not even a real option 99% of the time, so how is Masai supposed to be able to convince GMs holding superstars to cough them up when nobody else can?

And really, other than the Celtics acquring KG, I can think of more instances where cashing depth for stars resulted in bad teams (Melo-Knicks, Dwight-Lakers, DWill-Nets) or treadmill teams (CP3-Clips, Harden-Rockets). Maybe there are better examples, but I can't think of them right now.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Does "cashing depth for a superstar" really work, though? Firstly, the opportunities are so rare, that it's not even a real option 99% of the time, so how is Masai supposed to be able to convince GMs holding superstars to cough them up when nobody else can?

And really, other than the Celtics acquring KG, I can think of more instances where cashing depth for stars resulted in bad teams (Melo-Knicks, Dwight-Lakers, DWill-Nets) or treadmill teams (CP3-Clips, Harden-Rockets). Maybe there are better examples, but I can't think of them right now.
      VC took nets to the finals. We got a bag of garbage.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
        This is an insult to Joey Graham!

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
          Vince never took the Nets to the Finals. The never got out of the 2nd round after VC joined and missed the playoffs altogether a few times. That's yet another example of a mediocre treadmill team acquiring a 'superstar'.

Comment

I'm not saying it easy, just that he hasn't done it. Traded Melo great value deal, but instead of adding to a Melo core (yes I know he was a malcontent) but it firmly entrenched denver into the really good treadmill. Traded rudy gay, again great value, needed to be done, but basically made toronto the east version of those denver teams. Has never drafted or signed an all star either. Demar and kyle were bryan colangelo. So was Steve Nash, amare stoudamire, Shawn marion, rudy gay, hedo turkoglu (stop laughing). Say what you want about bryCo, the guy took home run swings. Hit a couple triples off the wall in Phoenix. Pop Flys in toronto. But at least he was swinging. In continuing the analogy, masai is a great contact hitter like ichiro suzuki, but now ya gotta bring the runners home.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
              Beat the Warriors?

No, keep 'em under 100. That would be a win in my book
              I don't think that's possible

Comment

• Punish them for believing you don't need a big to win. We have 2 stretch Armstrongs gifted around the basket. Go to them. You won't win the game going shot for shot with dd lowry ross vs 3 of the greatest shooters of all time. Go big or go home.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Vince never took the Nets to the Finals. The never got out of the 2nd round after VC joined and missed the playoffs altogether a few times. That's yet another example of a mediocre treadmill team acquiring a 'superstar'.
                  My bad. They went to the finals twice before him.
                  It is a peanuts for star example. Just didn't work. I still agree with keon tho. Like a swing for the fences.

Comment

Punish them for believing you don't need a big to win. We have 2 stretch Armstrongs gifted around the basket. Go to them. You won't win the game going shot for shot with dd lowry ross vs 3 of the greatest shooters of all time. Go big or go home.
                    "lol"
                    -dwane casey, probably

Comment

• I'd like to see the pace slowed down incredibly. Make it as much of a half court game as possible. Although I was hoping for the same yesterday, and the Cavs ended up putting up 121 points.

Comment

Punish them for believing you don't need a big to win. We have 2 stretch Armstrongs gifted around the basket. Go to them. You won't win the game going shot for shot with dd lowry ross vs 3 of the greatest shooters of all time. Go big or go home.
                        Should also be emphasizing running constant simple pick and roll plays with DD/Lowry driving to the hoop. Make them pick their poison inside.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I'd like to see the pace slowed down incredibly. Make it as much of a half court game as possible. Although I was hoping for the same yesterday, and the Cavs ended up putting up 121 points.
                          I hope for this every game. Raptors are incredible scoring in the half court - play to that strength.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Honestly; you can't double team them because they will make you pay. All you can do; hope your defensive scheme holds and make them pay inside. JV (and to a lesser extent, Bebe and Poetl) could be very big (pun intended) this game. Make them work by banging inside or through constant P&Rs.

The game needs to be slowed down. Do not get sucked into GS's game.
                            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• 121-101

Comment

• Cleveland at full strength on their home floor, playing to win.

Toronto missing 2 starters.

We took them to the final minute or so to put us away. It's a loss, but it's a quality loss. Nothing to hang their heads on.

And who knows, a few more calls our way, and Demar making his free throws, and we could have snuck a W.

Golden State on the B2B is gonna be tough. Hopefully Drake Night can inject some adrenaline and energy tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X