Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    So changing the topic is your best argument to that I see.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    I'll take that as a no
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
      Oh how quickly some people make this about JV vs. DD.

Sorry, we're not taking the bait..... It's about JV, his actual defensive abilities and #matchups. Blame the coach, his teammates and the weather if you want. #excuses
      This..

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Sorry, we're not taking the bait..... It's about JV, his actual defensive abilities and #matchups. Blame the coach, his teammates and the weather if you want. #excuses
        No, you guys have been ignoring the point the entire time it's kind of mind boggling. The issue is not the minutes. The issue is going 6 for 6 in his first 9 minutes and going 0 for 0 with 1 brief touch of the basketball in his next 9 minutes.
        Anybody home?

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
          Let's put JV in against KD, Green, Iggy, Klay, Curry.

#TeamCommonSense?

Lol
          Regardless of the matchup, or even the sport, it never serves you well to matchup with the opponent's greatest strength.

If you decide to sprint against a faster guy, you'll always lose the race.

If you're a featherweight and you decide to go toe-to-toe with a heavyweight, you'll always lose the fight.

Back to the Raptors, one of my biggest complaints against Casey for years, has been his inability to dictate in-game matchups. This problem is only magnified when the Raptors' most favorable potential matchup is a player other than DeRozan and Lowry. The Casey/DeRozan/Lowry core is so stubborn/arrogant/whatever that they'd rather lose with their best offensive mismatch on the bench, than win doing something other than the two-headed monster dog and pony show.

If JV is matched up against a much smaller defender, and happens to be shooting 6/6, feed him over and over and over and over and over, until the other team is forced to make a change in response to your strategy that plays to your strength. As others have said, not only would JV be able to score efficiently (and likely wind up drawing fouls that helps out the entire team by getting opposing players into foul trouble and your team into the bonus earlier), but having an established low-post scoring threat would actually serve to open up the game for DeRozan, Lowry and others to be more effective on the offensive end. Plus, if you make the opponent work harder on the defensive end, it could actually help you when it comes time for them to operate on the offensive end.

Comment

Why are you ignoring the #matchups on one end of the court, where JV provides a huge advantage, assuming he'd actually be utilized?

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
              For the Demar fanboys, it's more important that their beloved player scores 30+ than the team winning.
              Can we stop with the 'fanboys' & 'haters' please ... what are we 8 years old? C'mon guys.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                Can we stop with the 'fanboys' & 'haters' please ... what are we 8 years old? C'mon guys.
                I'm a hater. And a fanboy. Please help me, Joey. Please help me

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  Regardless of the matchup, or even the sport, it never serves you well to matchup with the opponent's greatest strength.

If you decide to sprint against a faster guy, you'll always lose the race.

If you're a featherweight and you decide to go toe-to-toe with a heavyweight, you'll always lose the fight.

Back to the Raptors, one of my biggest complaints against Casey for years, has been his inability to dictate in-game matchups. This problem is only magnified when the Raptors' most favorable potential matchup is a player other than DeRozan and Lowry. The Casey/DeRozan/Lowry core is so stubborn/arrogant/whatever that they'd rather lose with their best offensive mismatch on the bench, than win doing something other than the two-headed monster dog and pony show.

If JV is matched up against a much smaller defender, and happens to be shooting 6/6, feed him over and over and over and over and over, until the other team is forced to make a change in response to your strategy that plays to your strength. As others have said, not only would JV be able to score efficiently (and likely wind up drawing fouls that helps out the entire team by getting opposing players into foul trouble and your team into the bonus earlier), but having an established low-post scoring threat would actually serve to open up the game for DeRozan, Lowry and others to be more effective on the offensive end. Plus, if you make the opponent work harder on the defensive end, it could actually help you when it comes time for them to operate on the offensive end.
                  Them: *plug ears* lalalalala he can't defend Green and Frye

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                    Like I've said before just trade JV and get something good for him.
                    The problem is, unless the "something good" you get for JV is a guard constantly taking shots, or a veteran over the age of 35, he's not likely to see the floor.

Comment

• My oh my, you'd think it was Hillary vs Trump in this thread, Geezus. We are a divided bunch!! We need to do some healing.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                        Miami in 2013 was also an excellent small ball team. Arguably just as lethal as the Warriors with a Prime LeBron James playing PF alongside Chris Bosh at C. They didn't win 27 straight games for no reason.

First two rounds of the playoffs: they lose only 1 game by single digits.. winning the rest by an average of 12.

And then the Pacers take 3 games from them, with the point differential of the series being just 3 points. Just the year before, the Heat capped off the series against the Pacers by winning 3 straight by 18 points a game. What happened??

Roy Hibbert. Yes, the same slow-footed Hibbert that is currently backing up Cody Zeller. The same Roy Hibbert that never crossed 50% shooting in a single season in his enitre career. This Hibbert averaged 22 points, 10 rebounds and 55% shooting in 7 games against the championship Heat. Do you know who else has posted numbers like that in a 7 game series in the conference finals?
                        Hakeem, Duncan, Howard. That's it.
                        (In other series: Bird, Barkley, Shaq, Brand. Again: that's it.)

He didn't need any "Secret Stuff" to do it. All he needed was the damn basketball in the post against the smaller opponents he was facing.

What's the moral of the story here? When you have a mismatch, fucking use it. Trust your defensive schemes to stop the opponents; not any 1 defensive player. Team defense is a COLLECTIVE EFFORT. Which is why a prime Garnett always managed to be on crappy defensive teams despite his own individual excellence.

/mini rant
                        I forgot to add. Chris Bosh was probably the worst matchup for Hibbert but Vogel still put him out there for the most minutes he's ever played. That's good coaching

Comment

My oh my, you'd think it was Hillary vs Trump in this thread, Geezus. We are a divided bunch!! We need to do some healing.
                          "Now it's time for Raptors Republic to bind the wounds of division, have to get together. To all Republicans and Democrats and idenpendents across this nation, I say it is time for us to come together as one united people"

Comment

My oh my, you'd think it was Hillary vs Trump in this thread, Geezus. We are a divided bunch!! We need to do some healing.
                            Somebody get caseys deleted emails!!

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Somebody get caseys deleted emails!!
                              Lock him up! Lock him up!

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                Why are you ignoring the #matchups on one end of the court, where JV provides a huge advantage, assuming he'd actually be utilized?
                                Coach Casey is a defensive minded coach. I'm surprised that people don't understand this by now. We're not going to outgun the Cavs or the Warriors anyways......That's not our identity...That's not how they want to play.

Comment

Working...
                                X