Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Abbas wrote: View Post
    Demar was our best player

    He made some nice passes

    Lowry - 5/16
    Carroll - 2/7
    Jonas - 5/15
    Patterson - 1/5 from deep
    Ross - 0/2

    Players missed some easy shots
    Nice passes? He's not even good at making entry pass to jv on the block.
    The play when siakam made a nice block and was first down the floor ahead of the break demar drove end to end and kept it for himself. Bball 101 - u get benched for that.

    Comment


    • Sinbad wrote: View Post
      Jonas had a ton of tip-ins that he should have converted, though doing so is definitely harder with multiple Cavs clutching, pulling, and tugging on him. It's a wonder that he didn't swing his elbows at any of them.

      DeRozan. Where do I begin? So long as Lowry is in this funk, our plan on offense seems to be "give the ball to DeMar and get out of his way". There was a lot of stagnant standing and watching too.
      Oh I'm not excusing his misses. He should definitely have converted at least 2-3 of those putbacks. I'm speaking more to the general philosophy which you touched on... "give the ball to DeMar and get out of his way".

      It's just bad basketball, plain and simple. What really bugged me is that he had JV rolling or near the bucket for so many easy passes, but instead he continued to leave his feet and dish to the perimeter. We were 4-16 from outside, it wasn't leading to good opportunities. Probably because the perimeter was being defended, which is why JV felt more open, but I'd have to go back and check.

      The problem is that when DeMar gets a taste of big success like opening night, he tends to go on a long heat-check phase where he tries to execute the most difficult things possible. He needs to be like water and take what the defense gives him.

      He can be so effective for us if he makes that his focus.

      On the very bright side, aside from the bad shot selection, his finishing around the rim has looked pretty elite. Incredible body control, agility, and craftiness. It's next-level stuff from him.

      If he can combine that with better decision-making I honestly think he has an outside shot at an All-NBA team, if Thompson tails off and one of the other six ahead of him wash out or get injured.

      Comment


      • Scraptor wrote: View Post
        Oh I'm not excusing his misses. He should definitely have converted at least 2-3 of those putbacks. I'm speaking more to the general philosophy which you touched on... "give the ball to DeMar and get out of his way".

        It's just bad basketball, plain and simple. What really bugged me is that he had JV rolling or near the bucket for so many easy passes, but instead he continued to leave his feet and dish to the perimeter. We were 4-16 from outside, it wasn't leading to good opportunities. Probably because the perimeter was being defended, which is why JV felt more open, but I'd have to go back and check.

        The problem is that when DeMar gets a taste of big success like opening night, he tends to go on a long heat-check phase where he tries to execute the most difficult things possible. He needs to be like water and take what the defense gives him.

        He can be so effective for us if he makes that his focus.

        On the very bright side, aside from the bad shot selection, his finishing around the rim has looked pretty elite. Incredible body control, agility, and craftiness. It's next-level stuff from him.

        If he can combine that with better decision-making I honestly think he has an outside shot at an All-NBA team, if Thompson tails off and one of the other six ahead of him wash out or get injured.
        He's always been a very good finisher but you are right. His finishing so far this year and preseason have been elite no question. His jumper is also looking better so far too. He didn't shoot it as well last night so I'm assuming it wasn't as good. Never got to watch the game.
        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

        Comment


        • Casey expressed that some shots that normally are makes were missed in the post game interview. PP missed that three but he was everywhere on defence during the fourth. How many big men can defend kyrie in space. His shot contests on close outs were bothersome for the cav's as well. JV did miss one offensive rebound as well that was make able.

          Comment


          • rightsideup wrote: View Post
            Casey expressed that some shots that normally are makes were missed in the post game interview. PP missed that three but he was everywhere on defence during the fourth. How many big men can defend kyrie in space. His shot contests on close outs were bothersome for the cav's as well. JV did miss one offensive rebound as well that was make able.
            I would like to believe Casey is right only because all our 3 point shooters shot the ball badly and Jonas never is that inefficient. A couple more shots go down and we win the game because we played very good defense. I can take a loss like this no question. Can't wait until we are completely healthy. Sullinger and Bebe are out and Demarre and Terrence still aren't 100%. When they are all back healthy and 100% we should be pretty damn good.
            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

            Comment


            • Just watched an extended highlight video of the game and Kyrie and Love hit some pretty well contested shots. They are really good man. We are over here missing open looks while they are hitting shots with a hand in their face. Cleveland is really really good because most teams wouldn't hit a lot of those shots. Except like Golden State.
              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

              Comment


              • GLF wrote: View Post
                I would like to believe Casey is right only because all our 3 point shooters shot the ball badly and Jonas never is that inefficient. A couple more shots go down and we win the game because we played very good defense. I can take a loss like this no question. Can't wait until we are completely healthy. Sullinger and Bebe are out and Demarre and Terrence still aren't 100%. When they are all back healthy and 100% we should be pretty damn good.
                Jonas' box score was inefficient. But it was a product of trying to clean up the inefficiencies of others. They ran a couple plays for him early and he was in good form but then they didn't go back to him until they got desperate in the 2nd half. It's mostly on Casey. He should have corrected this by now , especially in a mismatch like the cavs. Casey tried to match small ball everytime. Personally, the way the game was going in the 4th, this early in the season, I would have liked to see poeltl at the 4 experiment or at least siakam. Now's the time to try it. Size was our only advantage in this game.

                Comment


                • GLF wrote: View Post
                  Just watched an extended highlight video of the game and Kyrie and Love hit some pretty well contested shots. They are really good man. We are over here missing open looks while they are hitting shots with a hand in their face. Cleveland is really really good because most teams wouldn't hit a lot of those shots. Except like Golden State.
                  Tons of in-and-outs for the Raps on good looks last night

                  Comment


                  • Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    Oh I'm not excusing his misses. He should definitely have converted at least 2-3 of those putbacks. I'm speaking more to the general philosophy which you touched on... "give the ball to DeMar and get out of his way".

                    It's just bad basketball, plain and simple. What really bugged me is that he had JV rolling or near the bucket for so many easy passes, but instead he continued to leave his feet and dish to the perimeter. We were 4-16 from outside, it wasn't leading to good opportunities. Probably because the perimeter was being defended, which is why JV felt more open, but I'd have to go back and check.

                    The problem is that when DeMar gets a taste of big success like opening night, he tends to go on a long heat-check phase where he tries to execute the most difficult things possible. He needs to be like water and take what the defense gives him.

                    He can be so effective for us if he makes that his focus.

                    On the very bright side, aside from the bad shot selection, his finishing around the rim has looked pretty elite. Incredible body control, agility, and craftiness. It's next-level stuff from him.

                    If he can combine that with better decision-making I honestly think he has an outside shot at an All-NBA team, if Thompson tails off and one of the other six ahead of him wash out or get injured.
                    It's terrible basketball. My buddies and I used to have a drinking game where we would take a swig whenever DeRozan would leave his feet to make a pass. We had to abandon it. 9/10, he's making a jump pass and throwing it across his body and out to the perimeter. For whatever reason, he rarely drops it off to a big, especially if its JV. I can't stand it. The downside of DeRozan is that no matter the situation, how he's guarded, or whether he's feeling it or not, he's going to keep launching. Hoisting 55 FGA's in two games has to be a record for him. The next step for him should be to give up good shots for better shots. However, first he'll have to recognize that hitting a big down low or on the roll can produce a better shot than a frantic kick-out to the perimeter.

                    As for making an All-NBA Team, I don't see that happening. There are far too many elite guards. Lowry had the year of his life on both ends of the floor and barely made the 3rd Team.
                    Last edited by Sinbad; Sat Oct 29, 2016, 11:50 AM.

                    Comment


                    • With Ross, I'm completely confused why we aren't generating catch and shoot opportunities for him anymore. That was his bread and butter last year, that's why we gave him the contract.

                      1 attempt through 2 games just won't cut it.
                      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

                      Comment


                      • Sinbad wrote: View Post
                        It's terrible basketball. My buddies and I used to have a drinking game where we would take a swig whenever DeRozan would leave his feet to make a pass. We had to abandon it. 9/10, he's making a jump pass and throwing it across his body and out to the perimeter. For whatever reason, he rarely drops it off to a big, especially if its JV. I can't stand it. The downside of DeRozan is that no matter the situation, how he's guarded, or whether he's feeling it or not, he's going to keep launching. Hoisting 55 FGA's in two games has to be a record for him. The next step for him should be to give up good shots for better shots. However, first he'll have to recognize that hitting a big down low or on the roll can produce a better shot than a frantic kick-out to the perimeter.

                        As for making an All-NBA Team, I don't see that happening. There are far too many elite guards. Lowry had the year of his life on both ends of the floor and barely made the 3rd Team.
                        It looks a lot like DeMar is trying to #ProveEm that he's worth the $150 + contract. Jalen Rose talked about the pressure and guilt a player feels when they get that big payday. Problem is, DeMar has never carried this team to wins mostly by himself - the overall depth and Lowry have bailed him out.

                        The next evolution for DeMar is to develop passing chemistry with shooters and rolling bigs to give the Raps at least a slim chance to overcome Lebron by maximizing overall team strengths.

                        What's happening in these first 2 games is simply even more of the same regular season approach that becomes easy to defend in the playoffs, with shooters and bigs standing around.

                        Comment


                        • As far as DeMar's passing... through 2 games, he has passed to Lowry 20 times, JV 10 times, Carroll 7 times, CoJo twice, Pat twice, Poeltl once and Ross once.

                          So if you're saying that Lowry, JV, and Carroll aren't converting on DeMar's assist opportunities, you might be right.

                          But if you're saying anyone else isn't, you're way off base.
                          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

                          Comment


                          • Barolt wrote: View Post
                            With Ross, I'm completely confused why we aren't generating catch and shoot opportunities for him anymore. That was his bread and butter last year, that's why we gave him the contract.

                            1 attempt through 2 games just won't cut it.
                            Ain't gonna happen. For role players, the Raps offense is all about spontaneous read-and-reacts off Kyle and DeMar's drives (and occasional kicks).

                            Comment


                            • golden wrote: View Post
                              Ain't gonna happen. For role players, the Raps offense is all about spontaneous read-and-reacts off Kyle and DeMar's drives (and occasional kicks).
                              Last year, Ross took 3.9 catch and shoot 3s, and 4.5 catch and shoot FGAs per game for us.(converted at a 58.3% eFG, 41.1% on 3s)

                              This year, through two games, it's 1 3pt attempt. DeRozan has taken 3 catch and shoot 3s. Someone needs to explain why this makes sense.
                              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

                              Comment


                              • golden wrote: View Post
                                It looks a lot like DeMar is trying to #ProveEm that he's worth the $150 + contract. Jalen Rose talked about the pressure and guilt a player feels when they get that big payday. Problem is, DeMar has never carried this team to wins mostly by himself - the overall depth and Lowry have bailed him out.

                                The next evolution for DeMar is to develop passing chemistry with shooters and rolling bigs to give the Raps at least a slim chance to overcome Lebron by maximizing overall team strengths.

                                What's happening in these first 2 games is simply even more of the same regular season approach that becomes easy to defend in the playoffs, with shooters and bigs standing around.
                                I cringed when Jalen Rose said that, but there's a lot of truth to it. It's not as though the Raptors paid DeRozan because of his potential. They did that with Ross and JV. They paid DeRozan for what he does provide, not what he could provide as he matures. Money was never going to change who he was as a player. Thus far, it has made him an extreme version of what he was before-- a volume shooter with a penchant for going it alone at a moment's notice. While its great for him to get his numbers individually, it scares me that in Year 8 we're still hoping he develops the ability to hit bigs and shooters in a system he's played in for the last 5 seasons. He should have this down pat by now.

                                I'm trying not to be too pessimistic, but it does feel and look like more of the same approach that runs into difficulties in the playoffs thus far.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X