Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Some interesting comments. Never stopped to consider that playing rookies would weigh down on Kyle and DeMar so much but it makes perfect sense. Those two are clearly hungry for a competitive team and getting further into the playoffs and having to rely on young players around them is a big step back for a team that made it to the ECF. That and losing Biz just puts too much pressure on JV to be the focal point on D, which I don't feel he is ready for.
    Some of the blame needs to be put on Masai as well. I've been saying this for months - losing Biz was a huge mistake. Raps lost 3 KEY veteran players in the offseason and replaced them.with rookies.

His drafting has been poor too. 2014 was a deep draft. I'm still shaking my head on the Bruno pick. Guys like Hood or Capela would look good in a Raps uni right about now.

2015, we took a PG in the 1st rd then a couple days later signed Cory Joseph. Why did we draft a PG then?

Free Agency - Carroll signing was a complete bust. Like, a complete bust. This guy is terrible.

Masai also has done absolutely nothing to upgrade the 4 spot. Band aid after band aid.

Now here we are, the guy ABSOLUTELY needs to make a trade to improve this team.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
      Some of the blame needs to be put on Masai as well. I've been saying this for months - losing Biz was a huge mistake. Raps lost 3 KEY veteran players in the offseason and replaced them.with rookies.
      The only option was trading Biz mid season. But that would've hindered our ability to make a deep playoff run. Based on his cheap contract, we likely weren't going to get anything for him in a trade anyway. And re-signing Biz in the offseason would've meant saying bye to DeRozan.

TRex wrote: View Post
      His drafting has been poor too. 2014 was a deep draft. I'm still shaking my head on the Bruno pick. Guys like Hood or Capela would look good in a Raps uni right about now.
      Hindsight is 20/20. With a 20th pick, it was worth a shot gambling on a guy with apparent "high upside". We technically have 2 more years before Bruno's ready-date.

2015, we took a PG in the 1st rd then a couple days later signed Cory Joseph. Why did we draft a PG then?
      Draft was before free agency. Wright was probably an insurance policy in case Masai struck out in free agency.

Free Agency - Carroll signing was a complete bust. Like, a complete bust. This guy is terrible.
      It's really his injury issues that's been our problem. If we added the Hawks' version of Carroll to this roster, he'd look pretty good.

Masai also has done absolutely nothing to upgrade the 4 spot. Band aid after band aid.
      Agreed. But the rumours suggest he's trying.

I guess this is a round about way of saying that Masai ultimately does deserve blame. He's the architect of the team. But most, if not all, of his moves have been understandable.

Comment

• Forgot to mention Hassan Whiteside. Back in 2014, the Raptors were looking for a backup C/rim protector. Whiteside was on their Summer League team. They didn't sign him they ended up signing Greg Freakin Stiemsma instead.

I also remember that SL team, everyone was talking about Bruno Caboclo lol. The "Brazilian KD" smh.

I'm really starting to question Masai's ability as a talent evaluator.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Forgot to mention Hassan Whiteside. Back in 2014, the Raptors were looking for a backup C/rim protector. Whiteside was on their Summer League team. They didn't sign him they ended up signing Greg Freakin Stiemsma instead.

I also remember that SL team, everyone was talking about Bruno Caboclo lol. The "Brazilian KD" smh.

I'm really starting to question Masai's ability as a talent evaluator.
          Oh so you're gonna go back and find every miss of the last 4 years? Cause every GM in the history of sports has them. Nevermind Norman Powell, or trading Bargnani for a 1st, or the Rudy Gay trade that turned this whole thing around on a dime. or even signing Bismack in the first place. Or getting Bebe and Lou for John Salmons.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
            Oh so you're gonna go back and find every miss of the last 4 years? Cause every GM in the history of sports has them. Nevermind Norman Powell, or trading Bargnani for a 1st, or the Rudy Gay trade that turned this whole thing around on a dime. or even signing Bismack in the first place. Or getting Bebe and Lou for John Salmons.
            Are you telling me that Masai knew that this team would be this good after the Gay trade?
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• This is Bryan Colangelo's team as far i'm concern. Masai has done absolutely nothing to upgrade the roster.

DeRozan, Ross, KL, JV....that's the core of this team right? these guys are all Colangelo's guys.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

This is Bryan Colangelo's team as far i'm concern. Masai has done absolutely nothing to upgrade the roster.

DeRozan, Ross, KL, JV....that's the core of this team right? these guys are all Colangelo's guys.
                You keep beating the "he let Bismack walk!!!" Horse to death, but I still haven't seen you propose your own plan on how you would have kept Bismack and not lost major talent elsewhere

Comment

This is Bryan Colangelo's team as far i'm concern. Masai has done absolutely nothing to upgrade the roster.

Getting rid of Gay and Bargnani had a large enough impact to consider this Masai's team.

We'd still be watching Primo commercials if Colangelo was in charge.

Comment

• Automatic loss..

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Getting rid of Gay and Bargnani had a large enough impact to consider this Masai's team.

We'd still be watching Primo commercials if Colangelo was in charge.
                      Thank god that's over. Now we can enjoy Kyle Lowry playing rock paper scissors against a basketball. (spoiler alert: the basketball CAN ONLY CHOOSE ROCK)

Comment

It really annoys me when people say this. Gay and Bargnani were on BC's team too, what did Masai do? Got rid of all both them, came away as the winner in both trades and added some great depth. BC had absolutely nothing to do why this team has been in the Playoffs the last couple of seasons.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                          Automatic loss..

Are you suuuuuure

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Are you suuuuuure

Wasn't against the Raptors. Your point is invalid, sorry

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                              Automatic loss..

Comment

The difference between Colangelo's guys and Masai's guys turned out to be about 20 wins and two more rounds of playoff basketball, but whatever.

There's also your post in another thread listing Powell as the third best player on the team, which doesn't really fit with your "everything Masai has done sucks" vents so it's probably best you keep them in separate threads, maybe no one will notice.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X