Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rocwell wrote: View Post

That's nice. How about the superstar Raptor killer Doug McDermott? If he's not out too then I still think this is a loss.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

Who else read this like a wrestling dork where jimmy butler Is the heel and demar is the baby face?

Nobody?

Ok
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
        BC had absolutely nothing to do why this team has been in the Playoffs the last couple of seasons.
        Casey, DeRozan, Lowry, Ross, JV. Pretty big part. But that's just my opinion.

I gotta give credit to Masai for getting a 1st rd pick for Bargnani though. That was a hell of a trade.

As for the Gay trade, i'm pretty sure Masai had no idea that this team would be this good after trading Rudy Gay. One word - luck. That trade was supposed to be the start of a rebuild.

The fact is, Masai has done nothing to add pieces to the core of this team. Who did he add? Carroll? lol.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
          That's nice. How about the superstar Raptor killer Doug McDermott? If he's not out too then I still think this is a loss.
          I have no confidence vs. the Bulls no matter who's on Chicago's roster for the night or what the last 1.5 months of Raptors basketball have been like.

The Raptors haven't beaten the Bulls since December 2013. That's FOUR YEARS!

Would be a great game to win.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Don't want another Raptor loss, but want to see the pressure build and something be done to fix it. Not just waiting an hoping it gets better....dilema, dilema..

Comment

• Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                There's also your post in another thread listing Powell as the third best player on the team, which doesn't really fit with your "everything Masai has done sucks" vents so it's probably best you keep them in separate threads, maybe no one will notice.
                ONE good draft pick(46th overall) in 3-4 years. Yay!
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Masai's worst move was keeping Casey after the Washington debacle. I can't really question anything he did or didn't do other than that. Maybe Bruno over Hood or Capela.. but we're splitting hairs once we start talking about missed picks in the 20's.

Sure Carroll and CoJo look like bad signings now (especially CoJo). But they were good at the time. Both known for things that we needed (defense, stability).. and would fit what we're trying to do (hard work, team players). Unlike BC trying to grab anything and everything (Hedo, Gay, Fields to cock block NY, only to get rejected by Nash anyway.. oh and trying to get Nash).

I still really like Masai. Still has the reputation as one of the best GM's in the league. Glad he's locked up. Just hope he finally gives Casey a boot so he can get his own coach in here.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post

I gotta give credit to Masai for getting a 1st rd pick for Bargnani though. That was a hell of a trade.

As for the Gay trade, i'm pretty sure Masai had no idea that this team would be this good after trading Rudy Gay. One word - luck. That trade was supposed to be the start of a rebuild.

The fact is, Masai has done nothing to add pieces to the core of this team. Who did he add? Carroll? lol.
                    While I don't write off everything Masai has done as good I certainly feel he is very overrated by many.

It is true that he has nothing to do with the "core" and it is BC's.

Masai really hasn't done anything with it and has made a minor addition so far of Powell (minor because Casey doesn't allow him a bigger role admittingly). Masai made 2 brilliant trades that he definitely deserves a TON of credit for in getting multiple picks for the likes of Bargnani and Vasquez, quite incredible BUT...

Everyone on here does act like he is the Teflon Don of GMs and can't be touched. The Gay trade was a fluke in the truest sense. It was essentially a contract dump of what was supposed to the starting of a rebuild for what were just end of bench rotation players. Masai admits himself that it was total luck how they played and revitilized the team.

Just as he admits it was total LUCK (again that word) that Dolan nixed the deal sending Lowry to NY. We were going to get scraps back. Can't remember the details but they were hardly worth mentioning but no one likes to talk about that when discussing Masai as a GM here. Add to that the God awful signing of the corpse of DeMarre Carroll, the atrocious pick of Bruno as an emotional rebound for missing out on Giannis and apparently he was totally in love with drafting where is waldo Tyler Ennis (is he even still in the league?!).

If you watch the Open Gym of the draft of Powell, that again seems like a fluke because you hear Masai still asking his staff should they give Norm a chance...it wasn't like they were even sold on it. It was basically a sure why not move because it was end of the draft so whatever and pretty much none of the picks he has placed high value in from the 1st rd have amounted to anything.

Again I like the Bargs n Vasquez trades and appreciate when he tries to find value contracts ala Biz and Sully but really he hasn't made that big move that puts a stamp on his tenure as GM here. He has sat back and "evaluated" for years on end and now it's come to the crossroads. He's going to have to pick a definitive direction and it's going to have to be a MAJOR move in one direction, sitting on the fence and taking credit for minor tweaks over the years will not be enough moving forward.

Comment

• Masai is our MVP and I'm glad he's in that chair. One of the few things I wouldn't change.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post

My point is even if Derozan, Lowry, Ross and JV are the main core that BC built, BC did nothing with it, while Masai turned it into a Eastern Conference Finals team, even if he didn't add any big piece.

Comment

• I'm going to use a little football analogy here :

I compare Colangelo as the Brett Favre of QB. He's a gunslinger. He's not afraid to take chances. You win some you lose some.

Masai on the other ihand is very calculated. He plays it safe. Reminds you of who? Alex Smith.

Now, Smith is a pretty good QB. The Chiefs have been in the playoffs every year it seems. But theyre not really a threat to the Pats or the Steelers in the AFC.

Brett Favre? he's going to throw an unecessary dumb pass and lose the game for his team. But he's also going to to throw an unecessary dumb pass and win the game for his team.

Sometimes you have to take chances you know? you just can't keep playing it safe all the time. But that's just me: I'm a risk taker AND a playmaker.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Masai's worst move was keeping Casey after the Washington debacle. I can't really question anything he did or didn't do other than that. Maybe Bruno over Hood or Capela.. but we're splitting hairs once we start talking about missed picks in the 20's.

Sure Carroll and CoJo look like bad signings now (especially CoJo). But they were good at the time. Both known for things that we needed (defense, stability).. and would fit what we're trying to do (hard work, team players). Unlike BC trying to grab anything and everything (Hedo, Gay, Fields to cock block NY, only to get rejected by Nash anyway.. oh and trying to get Nash).

Sorry but I have to strongly disagree here.

Corey and Carroll were not good signings at ANY time. I was livid upon hearing of either because we ate up more than $20+M/yr on a 3rd string PG and guy that came off injury that during that year was actually considered an overpay, didn't hear of anyone else interested in offering anything close to that. The move was very "Hedo" like in that we clearly overpaid a SF that wasn't anything great but created a buzz around themselves in a single contract year but of course we give him a pass.

Then to follow it up he drafts Delon...I like Wright but you just signed Corey to a multiple year contract?! Bruno is almost inexplicable other than he was broken hearted that he missed out on Giannis. This kid may be THE most raw project player to enter the league and we take him in the 1st round?!? Not to mention MU was in love with Ennis who is barely a waterboy in the league.

Like I said I love that he made 2 incredible trades which is really his saving grace imo because the rest of it is fairly unimpressive especially when most of the big stuff he admits is total luck. I also really appreciate his work in the community and Africa but he feel pretty annoyed with how much we give him a pass on pretty much everything. Yes no GM is perfect but that works both ways, he shouldn't be unfairly criticized but nonetheless some criticism is fair.
                            Last edited by JamesNaismith; Mon Feb 13, 2017, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• you know things are dire when RR is pining for Brian Colangelo.

I mean, personally I think that his downfall came down to 1 thing that was in his control (over-dedication to the bargnani experiment) and 1 that wasn't really (bosh being a bitch).

But that wasn't really a prevailing opinion here.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                                Sorry but I have to strongly disagree here.

Corey and Carroll were not good signings at ANY time. I was livid upon hearing of either because we ate up more than $20+M/yr on a 3rd string PG and guy that came off injury that during that year was actually considered an overpay, didn't hear of anyone else interested in offering anything close to that. The move was very "Hedo" like in that we clearly overpaid a SF that wasn't anything great but created a buzz around themselves in a single contract year but of course we give him a pass.

Then to follow it up he drafts Delon...I like Wright but you just signed Corey to a multiple year contract?! Bruno is almost inexplicable other than he was broken hearted that he missed out on Giannis. This kid is may be the most raw project player to enter the league and we take him in the 1st round?!? Not to mention MU was in love with Ennis who is barely a waterboy in the league.

Like I said I love that he made 2 incredible trades which is really his saving grace imo because the rest of it is fairly unimpressive especially when most of the big stuff he admits is total luck. I also really appreciate his work in the community and Africa but he feel pretty annoyed with how much we give him a pass on pretty much everything. Yes no GM is perfect but that works both ways, he shouldn't be unfairly criticized but nonetheless some criticism is fair.
                                Joseph was an excellent value contract last season.

Carroll signing i hated from the start. you can look in the Everything Demarre thread for my reaction lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X