Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRex wrote: View Post
    And your point is?

You realize most teams, like 90% of them run iso on the last possession to win the game right?
    I think it's closer to 99%. The kids game played by men. Our best guy is getting the ball and see if you can stop him. The play drawn up is usually to shake your guy loose to get him the ball.

If you think the Raps play a lot of ISO ball watch the Cavs in the crunch or in the playoffs. They either clear a side for Lebron or clear the other side for Irving.

Same with Thomas in Boston.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Feb 28, 2017, 10:30 AM.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
      I think it's closer to 99%. The kids game played by men. Our best guy is getting the ball and see if you can stop him. The play drawn up is usually to shake your guy loose to get him the ball.

If you think the Raps play a lot of ISO ball watch the Cavs in the crunch or in the playoffs. They either clear a side for Lebron or clear the other side for Irving.

Yep. It's kind of a silly criticism though I understand it because when it doesn't work it's so damn frustrating.

But really, other than LeBlock, think of the two most memorable plays from the most recent Finals.

1) Kyrie's shot over Curry.

2) Love guarding Curry.
      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Even pop does this for kawhi (not always) but he calls this play too. It's so damn common in the NBA I really don't get all the complaints.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          How does Melo get wide open on that final shot? I mean, how do we lose sight of the Knicks' MAIN scoring threat in 1.9 seconds? There was nobody within 10 feet of him. Unreal.

Ugly, ugly win, but I'll take it.
          DanH wrote: View Post
          It's funny, Ibaka and Tucker screwed up the communication on the play and after the buzzer everyone celebrates and you could see those two talking over what they messed up. Plus Ibaka really should have been called for the off ball foul. Those two have been our best defenders the past few games but it was definitely on them, that final play. Still, communication should get better with time - still lots of upside defensively.
          Yes, two new guys and they both followed the screener. Simple defensive breakdown on not knowing what the roles are because both guys are new to the system. Raptors were damn lucky 'Melo missed that shot, he's hit several last second game winners this year.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Unrelated note: the NYK broadcasters might be my favourite local crew in the NBA. Those guys just appreciate good basketball, homer level = 0.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Mike Breen is the best play by play guy in the business. Better than Marv Albert imo.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I mean, as long as we don't fall behind by 37 in the first quarter and shoot 3/42 from three again we should have a decent shot.
                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  Just because Casey won't do it doesn't mean I won't wonder why he doesn't do it. I didn't stop wondering why Scola was starting - that changed in the playoffs. I didn't stop wondering why Siakam was starting - that changed too, even before the team upgraded the position.

Plus, JV got used at the end of the first, start of the second like I was hoping - so anything seems possible right now.
                  I'm thinking it has something to do with an analytics driven decision to play a certain way in the 4th quarter which JV simply does not fit into. Whether it's because he clogs the paint on O, or isn't mobile enough to defend the perimeter and recover to the paint or whatever.

My issue is that JV represents a good enough mismatch against all but true contenders that play really well at small ball, so why won't they play him in the 4th against those teams (non contenders)? The only thing I could come up with is that in a sport where it's all about positioning and reaction time that they want to keep it simple for and their players. No confusion of having to go back and fourth between feeding the post and small ball styles? I wish Casey or at least someone from the coaching team could do an interview and field these type of questions from fans. It's not like they don't see what we see.

Comment

• They are going to have to win ugly again because I don't see their offence getting any better any time soon. And Washington has some big physical defenders that can make things tough on DeMar.

Comment

• I only caught the first half of yesterdays game, but was anyone else disappointed in Norm's inability to get his offence off? I kind of thought he would be able to help a bit more to handle the scoring load with Lowry out.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        I'm thinking it has something to do with an analytics driven decision to play a certain way in the 4th quarter which JV simply does not fit into. Whether it's because he clogs the paint on O, or isn't mobile enough to defend the perimeter and recover to the paint or whatever.

My issue is that JV represents a good enough mismatch against all but true contenders that play really well at small ball, so why won't they play him in the 4th against those teams (non contenders)? The only thing I could come up with is that in a sport where it's all about positioning and reaction time that they want to keep it simple for and their players. No confusion of having to go back and fourth between feeding the post and small ball styles? I wish Casey or at least someone from the coaching team could do an interview and field these type of questions from fans. It's not like they don't see what we see.
                        Analytics clearly do not drive the way we're playing, because we routinely take the worst shot in basketball over and over and over again in the 4th.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          They are going to have to win ugly again because I don't see their offence getting any better any time soon. And Washington has some big physical defenders that can make things tough on DeMar.
                          No style points. Al Davis.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

A lot of the criticism of the EOG offense in Raptorland is mindless and is driven by CDS. Having said that, there are two very legitimate criticisms in the way they operate late:

1. They get out of the offence when it's working and they do it way too early. A lot of times they'll break from what is working well to play solely to get the ball into Lowry or Derozan's hands when it is not necessary and it messes up the offense.

2. They are too slow. One of the good things about the DD shot last night was that they inbounded the ball ran a hand-off to get DD the ball in motion going left on a switch to his spot and then he shot. It took ~8 seconds. A lot of the time they are running their stuff but they run the set, get DD or Lowry the ball out of the action and then they.... stop. And dribble. And wait. And the defence gets re-set. And it looks like it is just a senseless when it really wasn't but that's what it turned into. I think a lot of their EOG issues are in how they time their sets and how they execute. To me, it's less important to work the clock than it is to get a good shot and too often they let the former affect the latter...

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                              A lot of the criticism of the EOG offense in Raptorland is mindless and is driven by CDS. Having said that, there are two very legitimate criticisms in the way they operate late:

1. They get out of the offence when it's working and they do it way too early. A lot of times they'll break from what is working well to play solely to get the ball into Lowry or Derozan's hands when it is not necessary and it messes up the offense.

2. They are too slow. One of the good things about the DD shot last night was that they inbounded the ball ran a hand-off to get DD the ball in motion going left on a switch to his spot and then he shot. It took ~8 seconds. A lot of the time they are running their stuff but they run the set, get DD or Lowry the ball out of the action and then they.... stop. And dribble. And wait. And the defence gets re-set. And it looks like it is just a senseless when it really wasn't but that's what it turned into. I think a lot of their EOG issues are in how they time their sets and how they execute. To me, it's less important to work the clock than it is to get a good shot and too often they let the former affect the latter...
                              They do move away from what's working at times before an adjustment is made..never sure why but it's been that way for at least two or three years.
                              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                              - TGO

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                                Unrelated note: the NYK broadcasters might be my favourite local crew in the NBA. Those guys just appreciate good basketball, homer level = 0.
                                Well Mike Breen is also the commentator for the Finals, so of course he is good.

Comment

Working...
                                X