Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    Like I've been saying for some time, this team can actually win if they can hold DeMar and Kyle accountable to play defense and guarding their man straight up. They don't need to conserve their energy exclusively for offense... there are other ways to win a game. Getting our D ramped up is more conducive to playoff basketball anyways, where buckets are harder to come by. Defense + ball movement should be the goal for this team from here on in to prep for the playoffs.
    This game pretty much guarantees Casey does not hold DD accountable. He has been mediocre to below average on defense for his entire career pretty much. The first time Tucker holds him accountable and tells him to play defense, he plays terrific defense.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
      This game pretty much guarantees Casey does not hold DD accountable. He has been mediocre to below average on defense for his entire career pretty much. The first time Tucker holds him accountable and tells him to play defense, he plays terrific defense.
      I've never thought of DeMar as a horrible defender. Doesn't really have any physical limitations on defense. He's just someone who seems to automatically check out on that end.

Comment

• Didn't see the game, but we won and DD played good defence? I'll definitely take that.

I've pretty much given up hope on the 3rd seed, hoping that we hold onto the 4th and that Boston catches Cleveland.
        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
          I've never thought of DeMar as a horrible defender. Doesn't really have any physical limitations on defense. He's just someone who seems to automatically check out on that end.
          Well having the mentality and motor to at least put in the effort is a part of being a defender. If he puts his mind to it and actually tries like he did this game, he can be a decent defender.

Comment

• I'll take it. Very nice defensive effort from all involved, had just enough spurts of offence to win it.

Really need to find a way to have the offence click more (the DD-JV PnR was killing it in this one, felt like every time they ran it they scored even if after a few passes - I was screaming for more of it when the offence died for stretches in each Q) going forward. Still, ground out the win and had a great effort on the defensive end by everybody.

Nice bounce back. Got the split of the B2B. Now, fix that offence, coach. Need more directed attacks, and better aggression on the unlimited 4-on-3's the team can get out of every DeMar PnR.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Another tough, gritty win. We're like a 90s team at this point.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                Well having the mentality and motor to at least put in the effort is a part of being a defender. If he puts his mind to it and actually tries like he did this game, he can be a decent defender.
                I think he can even be 'good' if he keeps focus on D consistently. On the other hand you have a guy like Isaiah Thomas who's never going to be a plus defender because of his physical limitations.. doesn't matter how hard he tries.

Comment

• Oh, yeah, my one nit pick. If I never have to see Van Vleet play again it will be too soon. I love the effort he brings but at his size he's ineffective anyway, on both ends. His shooting is not where it needs to be to be effective as a small guard, and his recognition of when to pass is hit and miss at best. His instinct to go inside to the rim would be admirable in any other player, but a layup is basically a turnover - he can rarely make a basket inside because any rim protection at all renders him useless in there.

Oh, and the all bench units HAVE to stop. Especially if you are going to go Ibaka at C late (which was totally the right call in this one and will be in most, I think). Run JV out for a few minutes to start the 2nd and 4th. Poor Patterson has been saddled with these all bench units where he's arguably one of the best offensive options, which is far from his forte. Let Wright/Powell run JV PnR's with the other guy and Tucker in the corners and Pat stretching the floor from the front court. That HAS to produce better offence than what we are getting from the bench units of late.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                    Another tough, gritty win. We're like a 90s team at this point.
                    Without Lowry, our modern NBA score first point guard who only gets layups and threes, we are built like a 90's team. Big defenders at the 3 and 4, a bruising post up C and a midrange scorer as our main weapon at SG.

We've got some bench pieces that are more modern (shooting and quickness from Pat and Powell), but they are being used in very 90's-ish all bench units so that counts too.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      Oh, yeah, my one nit pick. If I never have to see Van Vleet play again it will be too soon. I love the effort he brings but at his size he's ineffective anyway, on both ends. His shooting is not where it needs to be to be effective as a small guard, and his recognition of when to pass is hit and miss at best. His instinct to go inside to the rim would be admirable in any other player, but a layup is basically a turnover - he can rarely make a basket inside because any rim protection at all renders him useless in there.

Oh, and the all bench units HAVE to stop. Especially if you are going to go Ibaka at C late (which was totally the right call in this one and will be in most, I think). Run JV out for a few minutes to start the 2nd and 4th. Poor Patterson has been saddled with these all bench units where he's arguably one of the best offensive options, which is far from his forte. Let Wright/Powell run JV PnR's with the other guy and Tucker in the corners and Pat stretching the floor from the front court. That HAS to produce better offence than what we are getting from the bench units of late.
                      Never understood the lowry comparison with Van Vleet he's trash. He plays with no where near the same intensity as lowry, Powell is one of the only other dudes aside from Lowry and Tucker that has that motor and physicality to his game. Van Vleet would be lucky to be a backup, Delon wright has way more upside.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                        Another tough, gritty win. We're like a 90s team at this point.
                        Well, Casey is a 90-00's coach through & through. He was trained under George Karl after all.

The issue is that this isn't the 90's. Teams are allowed to play zone D, hand checking is illegal & the game itself is played more on the perimeter. If we want to win games, we have to slow it down like the Grizzlies do. All about grit & grind right now.
                        Axel wrote:
                        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• D is much improved. Why? because we added a couple of great defensive players.

Offence is awful. Why? because our best player is out.

It's all about having the right players or personnel. O should be much improved once Lowry returns. Right now we really need guys like Patterson and Carroll and Joseph and Powell and all these guys to make open shots.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            Never understood the lowry comparison with Van Vleet he's trash. He plays with no where near the same intensity as lowry, Powell is one of the only other dudes aside from Lowry and Tucker that has that motor and physicality to his game. Van Vleet would be lucky to be a backup, Delon wright has way more upside.
                            Important to remember FVV is a 4th stringer who has only gotten minutes this year due to injury. People have actually argued injuries haven't been a big deal for the Raptors this year, but when you have to go 4 deep at a position you're in a bad spot.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                              Important to remember FVV is a 4th stringer who has only gotten minutes this year due to injury. People have actually argued injuries haven't been a big deal for the Raptors this year, but when you have to go 4 deep at a position you're in a bad spot.
                              I don't understand all the hate for the young guys playing. I keep seeing posts saying stop playing FVV, Poetl, Siakem..... Isn't this what we always wanted?

We always wanted our rookies to get some burn..... People used to complain that Bruno wasn't getting played and he's (lol - what were you thinking asking for that).

These guys will all get better having this experience.

Someone said FVV is trash.... Are you kidding me? Yes, he has good games and bad ones, but the kid can play and is learning out there. I hope he makes you eat your words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• I'm a big fan of fvv but he is too small. He's fine at $500k to be used sparingly.
                                I'm also happy to see the young guys play. Big picture, with our finances, we need them to step up.
                                I feel bad for bebe but it happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X