No announcement yet.

Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope we get Milwaukee and not Indiana again. I'd enjoy a new first round match-up.
    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
      Exactly. All kinds of warning signs for the Cavs that are completely uncharacteristic for Lebron teams. He has literally not lost this much this late since his rookie season - period.

If the Raptors get the Cavs in the 2nd round because the Cavs are stumbling, I'll take that. What's the alternative - the Cavs playing well and cruising to 1st is somehow better?
      The Cavs won 53 games two seasons ago, they have 51 now. LeBron dragged them to the Finals himself.

I mean I'm glad the Cavs are struggling but they remain the prohibitive favorite imo.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
        The Cavs won 53 games two seasons ago, they have 51 now. LeBron dragged them to the Finals himself.

I mean I'm glad the Cavs are struggling but they remain the prohibitive favorite imo.
        And the Heat team that went to the finals in 2014 also only won 54 games. If Cavs win next game, they're right there with 52 wins. I want no part of them, they're the clear favourites.
        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

For sure they're the favourites by a fair bit. Glad the gap is closing vs what it could be, tho.

I'll say this about other weak supporting casts Lebron dragged to the Finals - they could play defence. He can generate offence, he can't play defence for 4 other guys. Cavs D is really, really bad right now. Down near the bottom of the league since ASG.

Case in point vs Hawks - Lebron with a triple-double, Love with a double-double, Kyrie with 45 points (!), still the Cavs blew a 26 point 4th quarter lead and lost. Have to be able to play defence.

These are mostly strengthening counterpoints to the usual assumption that Lebron will get at least to the Finals, no guarantees of anything. Still a tall task for any of the other top 4 EC teams.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

After they made their trades, they were 34 and 9 heading into the playoffs that season. 2nd best record in the league during that stretch behind Golden State (just 2 wins less). That was also with Blatt coaching who most will say was much much better than Lue is now.

Comment

• Boston will beat the Nets, and i think the Cavs should probably end up losing to Miami considering they are travelling a far distance and playing about 18 hours after finishing the Atlanta game.

If those two things happen; a Bos win and a Cle loss, we really have nothing to play for in the final game and probably shouldn't play Demar at all.

But if Brooks Lopez pulls a rabbit out of his hat and beats the Celtics we can go guns blazing into the Cavs game on Wednesday and hand them a nice 4 game losing streak to finish off their season.
              SPECIAL REPORT: March 27th, 2017, it is now confirmed Lebron James has had both his back and his dignity broken by the vicious swinging right elbow of ruthless heavyweight PF and notorious bad-boy David Lee

Comment

• ASUS couldn't afford Derozan
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                  I'm happy he finally hit shots but you are right. He only shoots well against shit teams and when the game is already out of reach. If he steps up in the playoffs I'll shut up but until then I don't trust him at all on the offensive end.
                  He hit a big three in this game 4th quarter when the score was still tight and same last game vs Miami, 4th quarter tight game. I suspect your hypothesis is off.

I really think it's just averages. We're only talking 4 shots per game (from deep) - some games you get 3 makes, some games you get none, it's what 36% shooting on a really small amount of FGA looks like.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    Wait, people are trying to glean something from the first three Q's of this game? Guys, the team didn't give a crap. They knew they could coast and then close it out whenever they wanted. Lowry decided to close it out to start the 4th.

That's why he perimeter defence was basically a turnstile for most of the game, and the rotations were slow, and the passes sloppy and the picks lazy and the shot selection crap. Nobody gave a damn. Not because they didn't want to win - because they knew they could at a moment's notice blow the game open. I don't mind it - not really fun to watch, but at no point during this game was I remotely worried they might lose.

50 wins! 3rd seed! Yay! Let's see how the next few days play out.
                    Miami was a little rough in the final minute, but the last two 4th quarters have looked good. Raps have just been the better team, executed at both ends when needed, put the games away. Really good to see heading into the playoffs.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                      He hit a big three in this game 4th quarter when the score was still tight and same last game vs Miami, 4th quarter tight game. I suspect your hypothesis is off.

I really think it's just averages. We're only talking 4 shots per game (from deep) - some games you get 3 makes, some games you get none, it's what 36% shooting on a really small amount of FGA looks like.
                      Also recency bias - we've played a lot of non-contenders lately.

Patterson has had 10 double digit game scores this year per bbref. The last 3 vs the knicks yesterday and twice vs the Mavs. But the first 7 were all against playoff teams.
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• When the Raps turn it on, their defense is looks elite. I've been very impressed.

In terms of the Raptors' slow starts, I think it goes like this from the eye test (I don't know if the stats back it up):

Beginning of the game, the Raps do not come out with a sense of urgency on the defensive end and they're sloppy on offense, giving the opponent fast breaks and easy points off turnovers and bricks. The pace of the game picks up, and the Raps just don't operate greatly in this type of game.

They bring in their subs: Cory, PJ, Pat, and the defensive intensity picks up. The Raps slow the pace down, generate turnovers, score easier buckets, and then they get back into the game / take the lead.

At half time, Casey puts the team in check and they usually come out more focused on what they have to do in the third quarter, and they generally execute. This usually puts the Raptors in good shape going into the fourth.

Comment

• I'm kinda blown away despite that God awful stretch we had before the All Star break that we're a 50W team again.

Makes me wonder what our record would have been like if we had PJ & Serge all year

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            Last time a LBJ team played this bad going into the playoffs they lost in the finals by a record margin. They are playing worse going into the playoffs than that Heat team. That heat team was a way better defensive team than this Cavs team.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                            Key part lol "in the Finals"

I'm not ruling out there's a chance we could take them out if we met in the ECF but...LeBron can will his team to Ws against "lesser" opponents. There's no shame in admitting we're not as good (on paper at least) as the Cavs. Again not saying there's no chance but I think Bron can will his team there but I don't like their chances at all against GSW even if they do suddenly find their defensive stride. LBJ has just been logging way too many minutes and he's going to have a relatively fresh Durant who is easily the best scorer in the league to guard and a team that just doesn't stop scoring in general, that is a recipe for complete burn out. But here's hoping that PJ exhausts LeBron before our series is done and not for GSW.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                              Key part lol "in the Finals"

I'm not ruling out there's a chance we could take them out if we met in the ECF but...LeBron can will his team to Ws against "lesser" opponents. There's no shame in admitting we're not as good (on paper at least) as the Cavs. Again not saying there's no chance but I think Bron can will his team there but I don't like their chances at all against GSW even if they do suddenly find their defensive stride. LBJ has just been logging way too many minutes and he's going to have a relatively fresh Durant who is easily the best scorer in the league to guard and a team that just doesn't stop scoring in general, that is a recipe for complete burn out. But here's hoping that PJ exhausts LeBron before our series is done and not for GSW.
                              Maybe I'm getting repetitive but I think the main takeaway is that, short of the Cavs losing half their guys to injury, this is about as much as we could ask for in terms of significant flaws showing up on that team late in the year. All we're asking for is a chance, just one chance!

Comment

• If we all (BOSTON, CLEVELAND and US) end at 51W and 31L

what happens?
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X