No announcement yet.

Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now look I don't really believe in reincarnation but it's safe to say Kobe and Shaq passed on their spirits to DeMar and JV last night.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Is that because Casey actually trusts Jonas, or because Bebe is dead, and Poeltl is still learning how to walk?
      They don't have much option lol. Amir and Biz are gone.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        It was actually funny reading some of the post game comments on Pistons sites, citing Casey/Raptors as the textbook way to incorporate young players into the rotation while still winning ball games.

We're clearly too hard on Casey.
        To be fair, if Casey had done the same with the likes of JV, Ross, and others who were at least as talented and had as much upside as the rooks this year (it's not like they had viable options ahead of them on the depth chart - I'm looking at you Salmons), I don't think there would have been such criticism spewed in his direction.

I get the feeling the rookies are being played out of necessity, due both to injuries and lack of depth (cap space spent on key players), not as a deliberate developmental strategy.
        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Oct 27, 2016, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
          Now look I don't really believe in reincarnation but it's safe to say Kobe and Shaq passed on their spirits to DeMar and JV last night.
          I read that they became the first duo in NBA history to record 40 & 30 points on opening night. Pretty impressive.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            To be fair, if Casey had done the same with the likes of JV, Ross, and others who were at least as talented and had as much upside as the rooks this year (it's not like they had viable options ahead of them on the depth chart - I'm looking at you Salmons), I don't think there would have been such criticism spewed in his direction.

I get the feeling the rookies are being played out of necessity, due both to injuries and lack of depth (cap space spent on key players), not as a deliberate developmental strategy.
            If (and it's very early, so it's a big if) Siakam can keep up this play and even improve over the course of the season, it will be very interesting to see how everything shakes out when Sully comes back. Nevermind if Nogueira or Poeltl prove productive at the backup C spot.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              If (and it's very early, so it's a big if) Siakam can keep up this play and even improve over the course of the season, it will be very interesting to see how everything shakes out when Sully comes back. Nevermind if Nogueira or Poeltl prove productive at the backup C spot.
              With so many quality young players and another two 1st round picks in the upcoming draft, something's gotta give. Or maybe I'm just antsy since it's been so long since the Raptors made a big trade. haha

Comment

With so many quality young players and another two 1st round picks in the upcoming draft, something's gotta give. Or maybe I'm just antsy since it's been so long since the Raptors made a big trade. haha
                Masai likes to work in the summer, but his hand might be forced this year at the deadline. Sully is basically guaranteed to walk in the summer, and Pat getting a pay raise (assuming he is kept) means your trade assets are shrinking quickly, while your need at PF is growing almost as fast. Plus with the team lined up to have 16 guys next summer (assuming Pat and Lowry stay) with two draft picks incoming, 17 if they keep Van Vleet long term... Something literally has to give.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yes and no. The injuries did hasten the opportunity for the two rookies to get some significant minutes early on but part of Masai draft strategy in selecting them is that he wanted players that are able to start to contribute now and not 2 years from now.

It will be interesting to see what players Masai drafts next year in the draft ( if he keeps both picks) My guess will be another mature Forward that can play both the 3 & 4 ( unless Bruno will be ready by then).

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                    Yes and no. The injuries did hasten the opportunity for the two rookies to get some significant minutes early on but part of Masai draft strategy in selecting them is that he wanted players that are able to start to contribute now and not 2 years from now.
                    I get that from MU's perspective, but JV and Ross were at least equally ready to contribute as rookies, yet barely saw court time under Casey. It would be understandable if they were stacked 3-deep on a quality depth chart, but they weren't. That's why there was so much #freeJV and #freeRoss chatter. It's the inconsistency that is surprising, yet welcomed.

Comment

• Call me crazy, but seeing how JV has now more confidence in his (really good) shot, I think that Siakam could be his frontline partner for years to come. He is quick, he can become an excellent defender and he rebounds the ball.

Let's see what he does during the next couple months, but I do think we found a gem with this late 1st round pick...

Comment

Masai likes to work in the summer, but his hand might be forced this year at the deadline. Sully is basically guaranteed to walk in the summer, and Pat getting a pay raise (assuming he is kept) means your trade assets are shrinking quickly, while your need at PF is growing almost as fast. Plus with the team lined up to have 16 guys next summer (assuming Pat and Lowry stay) with two draft picks incoming, 17 if they keep Van Vleet long term... Something literally has to give.
                        Agreed. The wait-and-see approach that he often takes won't fly this time around unless he commits to going over the tax threshold by a large margin to re-sign both Lowry and Pat. Even if Pat is the starting PF of the future, someone will get squeezed out.

Comment

Unless Pat raises his game, I just dont see Masai giving him a fat 15 mil contract similar to what DC got. I think Masai would let those two walk ( Sully, Pat) and would concentrate his effort on signing Lowry.

Giving the Raptors have so many NBA reasy bodies and poised to add 2 more next summer, Masai would have to pull the trigger on a big trade cause that would be the only way to improve this roster moving forward in a significant way (high impact free agent signing is proving too costly).

Comment

• Rest In Peace, Vine. You'll be missed.

Comment

I get that from MU's perspective, but JV and Ross were at least equally ready to contribute as rookies, yet barely saw court time under Casey. It would be understandable if they were stacked 3-deep on a quality depth chart, but they weren't. That's why there was so much #freeJV and #freeRoss chatter. It's the inconsistency that is surprising, yet welcomed.
                              JV got 24 mins as a rookie and Ross got 17, so I dont see it as "barely saw court time". If the Raptors were as stocked as they are today, both players would be getting the Norman Powell treatment from last season and Ross wouldnt even get 10 mins while JV would only get 15.

Comment

Any chance the roster size increases from 15 to 17 or 18 with the new CBA? Haven't heard much about what they've been discussing.

Comment

Working...
                                X