No announcement yet.

Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: many comments about not seeing much from Lowry + co - DD and JV clearly had it going last night and everybody else was very intentional about feeding them, getting out of the way, and filling in the gaps. That's absolutely the right thing to do (remember how many times they've gone away from Jonas after the opening 5 minutes), it's what good teams do. Other guys will step up other nights. Great game, I'm excited about Siakam (is he going to nail 12 ft. hook shots all season long?).
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
      Rest In Peace, Vine. You'll be missed.
      Masai in his office gets on his desk and yells out " Fuck Twitter!"

Gets fined by Microsoft and our draft supercomputer doesn't get upgraded.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
        Unless Pat raises his game, I just dont see Masai giving him a fat 15 mil contract similar to what DC got. I think Masai would let those two walk ( Sully, Pat) and would concentrate his effort on signing Lowry.

Giving the Raptors have so many NBA reasy bodies and poised to add 2 more next summer, Masai would have to pull the trigger on a big trade cause that would be the only way to improve this roster moving forward in a significant way (high impact free agent signing is proving too costly).
        Raps are capped out so the only way to improve the team is via trade (and draft, but their picks will be weak going forward). You lose 2Pat in free agency and you lose another body you can use in a trade a few months later. I think the smart move is bring both 2Pat and Lowry back and hope you can get them both without going over the luxury tax line.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
          JV got 24 mins as a rookie and Ross got 17, so I dont see it as "barely saw court time". If the Raptors were as stocked as they are today, both players would be getting the Norman Powell treatment from last season and Ross wouldnt even get 10 mins while JV would only get 15.
          plus JV was thrust directly into a starting role from the get-go, while ross did in his 2nd year (only to lose it based on his play later on). i would hardly say they barely got playing time.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            Any chance the roster size increases from 15 to 17 or 18 with the new CBA? Haven't heard much about what they've been discussing.
            Closest thing to that is the possibility of 2-way D-League contracts - so additional roster spots for minimum salary deals who can be moved up and down from the D-League. But in all likelihood that wouldn't apply as a general roster size increase, so all the established deals and first round picks we have would not be helped by that.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
              plus JV was thrust directly into a starting role from the get-go, while ross did in his 2nd year (only to lose it based on his play later on). i would hardly say they barely got playing time.
              Yeah, most of the frustration then was that clearly inferior veteran big men were playing over JV (he should have played way more than 24 MPG, would be the argument), especially late in games. While Ross was buried behind terrible vet wings (who also should not have been playing in minutes where Ross could have played) early in his rookie year and Rudy Gay spanning his first and second years.

The raw minutes were fine, the context within which those minutes should be evaluated (ie the team having very little in way of other options beyond those two) is what caused the concerns. It would be like if right now we didn't have Patterson and instead had Scola at PF, and Siakam got stuck with <24 minutes in favour of the older, but useless, Scola.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                Raps are capped out so the only way to improve the team is via trade (and draft, but their picks will be weak going forward). You lose 2Pat in free agency and you lose another body you can use in a trade a few months later. I think the smart move is bring both 2Pat and Lowry back and hope you can get them both without going over the luxury tax line.
                No way the Raps get both without paying tax. Almost literally no way for it to happen, barring some other pieces being jettisoned. Either you are committing to paying tax to keep this group together, or you have to decide on one of two paths: let Pat walk and hope Carroll, Siakam and Poeltl (plus maybe a rookie from the upcoming draft) can hold down the position moving forward, or make a trade (ideally before this coming deadline so that Patterson and/or Sully can be trade pieces) to upgrade the PF position to an extent where you would be willing to pay tax.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
                  Now look I don't really believe in reincarnation but it's safe to say Kobe and Shaq passed on their spirits to DeMar and JV last night.
                  I don't know man, I've never seen Shaq hit his free throws like JV did...

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I'm pretty sure that Masai threatened to ship Siakam back to Cameroon if he fucked up tonight. He was playing for his life, lol.

I loved his motor, but it doesn't seem likely he'll maintain that level of intensity for 82 games. Will eventually have to learn to pick his spots to minimize the effect of the "rookie wall".
                    As you "astutely" pointed to the Masai method of encouragement....I understand Masai is building a crocodile pen at the BioSteel location. Pascal will be summoned to have a feeding viewing if he falters ...wall or not.

Seriously though, his motor was I understand the major reason (I remember reading) why they drafted him. I find it very satisfying that the team actually had 2 rookies contributing as much in the first game. Huzzah!

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                      Rest In Peace, Vine. You'll be missed.

RIP Headphone jack.
                      RIP Vine

And now..

RIP USB ports.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        Yeah, most of the frustration then was that clearly inferior veteran big men were playing over JV (he should have played way more than 24 MPG, would be the argument), especially late in games. While Ross was buried behind terrible vet wings (who also should not have been playing in minutes where Ross could have played) early in his rookie year and Rudy Gay spanning his first and second years.

The raw minutes were fine, the context within which those minutes should be evaluated (ie the team having very little in way of other options beyond those two) is what caused the concerns. It would be like if right now we didn't have Patterson and instead had Scola at PF, and Siakam got stuck with <24 minutes in favour of the older, but useless, Scola.
                        Yeah it was also the tight leash on those guys while calling them out in front of the media. Plus the roles they had pretty much up until this year were tiny, get rebounds & set screens or stand in the corner. I think those guys are starting to do more now, just hoping it doesn't take 4 years for Siakam or Powell to have their roles expanded.

The 2017 draft is suuuper hyped up so I wouldn't mind trying to package the two picks with like Ross to move into the lottery. Not sure if this avoids the tax but would put you under 15 roster spots and gives you a real nice prospect (quick look at a mock has many sf and pg in the lotto which is a nice coincidence). It may be nice to use a similar package for an upgrate at pf, but at the same time if JV/DD/KL are going to play as well as we think, they may have the luxury of making a long term trade.

Comment

• Pascal Siakam has a fan in me. I love what this kid brings to the table. I think he's going to be a solid contributor for the Raps early in the season.

Great games from Demar and Jonas. Couldn't really ask for a better effort from either guy. I love how the Raps were feeding JV. I'm hoping to see more of the same.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            If (and it's very early, so it's a big if) Siakam can keep up this play and even improve over the course of the season, it will be very interesting to see how everything shakes out when Sully comes back. Nevermind if Nogueira or Poeltl prove productive at the backup C spot.
                            Like I said before, I think Siakam's low-usage offense + high mobility defense fits the starters nicely and I'm beginning to suspect he was picked specifically for fit/need. There will be ups and downs, for sure, but I see no reason why Siakam only gets better. In the Raps system, he's not being asked to do much and he's relying mostly on instincts and athleticism for now. Once he learns the system and gains experience/comfort with his teammates and the league, how is it possible not to get better? Amir 2.0

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                              Like I said before, I think Siakam's low-usage offense + high mobility defense fits the starters nicely and I'm beginning to suspect he was picked specifically for fit/need. There will be ups and downs, for sure, but I see no reason why Siakam only gets better. In the Raps system, he's not being asked to do much and he's relying mostly on instincts and athleticism for now. Once he learns the system and gains experience/comfort with his teammates and the league, how is it possible not to get better? Amir 2.0
                              Matter of time before teams start ignoring him and loading up on DD, unless he can prove he can hit a jumper. Tough to make up for that with energy alone. For now, I'll take the minutes until teams adjust.

Siakam heard you with the "low usage" role idea though - he had a usage rate of 3.9% in game 1. That's really... quite low.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                                Siakam.

Hate to say i told y'all so..... but I told Y'all so.

Clever pick. makes Biyombo expendable, saves the team a shit tonne of cash.
                                Let me add my "I told you so" as well.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X