Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    Casey is one of the best motivators in the league. That's clear.

But in terms of Xs and Os and managing a rotation, there's a lot of coaches I'd rather have.
    It's kind of frustrating that all the black coaches get lumped in this category of being great "motivators" but not actually great basketball minds...

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
      It's kind of frustrating that all the black coaches get lumped in this category of being great "motivators" but not actually great basketball minds...
      This. I can't freaking stand it. No matter how skilled they are in tactics, that's the label the media, fans, and talking heads force onto them.

Comment

• Long time lurker. First time poster.

GOOOOOOO RAPS!!!!!!!!! LET'S BEAT THESE F*CKIN B*TCHES!!!!!!!!! RAPVENGE!!!!!!!!

(Insightful first post. I'm a regular DanH.)

Comment

• jerome wrote: View Post
          too bad national tv games are not on league pass. Please message jerome a link tomorrow if you have one
          Sent you a pm. Kinda funny to post illegal links on a forum that is hosted by the broadcaster of the game.

Comment

• Lets hope the Raptors will be putting the hurt on the Cavs and let them know that if they are coming to Toronto, expect to have a hard/bad time. Statement game!!

Comment

oh nice, lets just go ahead and imply racism to discredit an argument.

the fact that dwane casey has historically been a bumbling tactician has fuck-all to do with his skin colour.
              Last edited by KHD; Fri Oct 28, 2016, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post

the fact that dwane casey has historically been a bumbling tactician has fuck-all to do with his skin colour.
                And been called out for it, with examples, from numerous sources.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post

I'm not talking about racism but there is an element of racial bias to the idea that black coaches are just motivators and not tacticians. I'm not even talking about Casey specifically, many if not all of the other black coaches in the league get similar treatment. One particular example is Doc Rivers.

And in Casey's case anyway, referring to him as just a good motivator isn't correct. No coach is perfect and there's more to tactics than just the things that Casey isn't good at like rotations and ball movement (although even the latter is actually by design to an extent limit turnovers). There's our defensive gameplan, the tempo at which we play the game, how we execute the press, use of timeouts to change the flow of the game (this in particular Casey is excellent at, as well as plays out of timeouts which I saw a stat for that he was near the top of the league last year). Also given how well the team played in 4th quarters last year I'd say he's a pretty good late game tactician, except people will want to focus on the times where we messed up or didn't execute down the stretch.

You can't get the kind of results he has out of our team by simply just being a good motivator otherwise we could go pull someone from a Ted Talk to run the team.
                  Last edited by Lupe; Fri Oct 28, 2016, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I'm not talking about racism but there is an element of racial bias to the idea that black coaches are just motivators and not tacticians. I'm not even talking about Casey specifically, many if not all of the other black coaches in the league get similar treatment. One particular example is Doc Rivers.

And in Casey's case anyway, referring to him as just a good motivator isn't correct. No coach is perfect and there's more to tactics than just the things that Casey isn't good at like rotations and ball movement (although even the latter is actually by design to an extent limit turnovers). There's our defensive gameplan, the tempo at which we play the game, how we execute the press, use of timeouts to change the flow of the game (this in particular Casey is excellent at, as well as plays out of timeouts which I saw a stat for that he was near the top of the league last year). Also given how well the team played in 4th quarters last year I'd say he's a pretty good late game tactician, except people will want to focus on the times where we messed up or didn't execute down the stretch.

You can't get the kind of results he has out of our team by simply just being a good motivator otherwise we could go pull someone from a Ted Talk to run the team.
                    When I said Xs and Os, I wasn't referring to ball movement.(because our lack of ball movement is by design, and that design CAN work)

I was referring to things like, on the deciding play in the series vs. the Nets 3 years ago, drawing it up on the wrong side of the court.
                    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

When I said Xs and Os, I wasn't referring to ball movement.(because our lack of ball movement is by design, and that design CAN work)

I was referring to things like, on the deciding play in the series vs. the Nets 3 years ago, drawing it up on the wrong side of the court.
                      That's one mistake and not indicative of his overall understanding of the Xs and Os in the game. Or is Gregg Popovich completely defined by subbing out Tim Duncan in the NBA Finals allowing Bosh to get the rebound with no good box out and the Heat to eventually find Ray Allen to tie the game late?

Comment

• jerome wrote: View Post
                        too bad national tv games are not on league pass. Please message jerome a link tomorrow if you have one
                        With a (European) vpn you get the international league pass version. So you can see the game.

Comment

That's one mistake and not indicative of his overall understanding of the Xs and Os in the game. Or is Gregg Popovich completely defined by subbing out Tim Duncan in the NBA Finals allowing Bosh to get the rebound with no good box out and the Heat to eventually find Ray Allen to tie the game late?
                          Look, I'm not even sure why I'm continuing this conversation after you basically called me a racist for having an opinion.

But Casey's lineup management has been suspect, and at times his playcalling has been lackluster as well.
                          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Look, I'm not even sure why I'm continuing this conversation after you basically called me a racist for having an opinion.

But Casey's lineup management has been suspect, and at times his playcalling has been lackluster as well.
                            I didn't call you racist man.

Comment

Sinbad wrote: View Post
                              This. I can't freaking stand it. No matter how skilled they are in tactics, that's the label the media, fans, and talking heads force onto them.
                              Lupe wrote: View Post
                              I didn't call you racist man.
                              Let's keep the topic on topic; race has never been a part of this conversation and nor should it. Even insinuating that another poster is grouping a coach based on skin colour is not cool or acceptable.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I know its just a regular season game, but the Cavs are going to be working hard in this one. LBJ will want to prove that they are the cream of the crop in the East, and what better than beating their ECF opponent and on the road.

The good news is we have a healthy JV and they don't have a guy that can stop him. Mozgov is now playing in LA. Their biggest big is TT who'll get destroyed in the paint by JV. DD also gets up for the Cavs, so I suspect he'll have a good game. If KLOE shows up, this should be a win.

Comment

Working...
                                X