Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Why bother? Ppp after a timeout is not a telling stat. Is it because of good coaching? Is it because you simply have talent that can score even off uninspired play-calls? It tells you points per possession, but does not tell you who deserves the credit. And that's fine.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I didnt mention Popovch in anything at all. Like. At. All.

Sure
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
      Sure
      PPP. Points per possession.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

"It reminds you of a soccer stadium because their stars are always flopping"

har har

Comment

• Frye not playing tonight (out for personal reasons). So, less concern about JV getting matched up against a stretch 5.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Sure
            Yeah, sure...there's zero mention of pop. Read better.

Comment

• haha oops. I could change it but fuck it. Someone mentioned Pop before and my eyes glaze over with the same old Casey stuff. Still good /= great.

Comment

• I know, I know. It was just a silly joke.

Damn no one made a gif of this eh?

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  Frye not playing tonight (out for personal reasons). So, less concern about JV getting matched up against a stretch 5.
                  Meh...on the flip side he's soft inside so he's the type of guy JV can abuse mercilessly. But i guess Birdman isn't that much tougher anyway.

Comment

• I will say that the ATO plays have loooked better since last year. I wonder if Rex deserves some credit as he does seem to draw them up a fair bit, and he also came from his last job in OKC that was a perennial playoff team that suffered from similar problems. Could also be it was just the "next thing" Casey himself thought they needed to improve. Either way it's something you need to finetune as much as possible if you plan on being a team that makes deep playoff runs.

Comment

• Its also worth pointing out that tactics include D, which was supposed to be Casey's specialty and where he had an awful system until last year because he was too stubborn to change it when it obviously was a crapshoot. There really is no logical reason to have kept it in place so long. A lot of focus on offence and ATO...but lets not forget the D. That's what I'm scared of most this year...can't see a reversion to that.

Comment

I know, I know. It was just a silly joke.

Damn no one made a gif of this eh?

LOL. Remember when 'Lebroning' was a thing?

Comment

• Comment

Its also worth pointing out that tactics include D, which was supposed to be Casey's specialty and where he had an awful system until last year because he was too stubborn to change it when it obviously was a crapshoot. There really is no logical reason to have kept it in place so long. A lot of focus on offence and ATO...but lets not forget the D. That's what I'm scared of most this year...can't see a reversion to that.

Our defense wasn't really any better last year (105.2 dRTG, 11th) than in 2013-14 (105.3 dRTG, 10th), in fact I'd say it was worse because those 2013-14 numbers also include the bad start to the season with Gay.

In 2014-15 there was the huge dropoff down to 25th in the league but I feel like the system itself wasn't really the problem but rather the problem was trying to play that system with guys like Vasquez and Lou logging heavy minutes.

Comment

Does Nick Nurse do it? I disticntly remember Kalamian drawing them up at times last year.

And if anything we are critiquing that it appears it isn't something they practice enough or design with enough variations. I am not in any way saying "oh they dont spontaneously pull enough amazing creative plays out of their asses". On the contrary it seems they dont spend months trying to create enough ripples in these plays so that come playoffs they're harder to scout/stop for these situations.

A friend of mine was at the recent Raptors coaches' camp and he mentioned that Mutombo handled the offensive part of it while Nurse talked about how this season he was focusing on speciality sequences, plays, EOG scenarios, etc. Don't know what happened last year. This is all second hand, of course, but he mentioned it looked like Kalamian was Casey's right hand this year and Sann/Mutombo appeared to be handling defense/offense. But, no, I don't know any of that fir sure. This is just based on what a guy who was there told me the assistants mentioned and/or what he surmised from watching practice and listening to the assistants run through drills, etc.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
                                Our defense wasn't really any better last year (105.2 dRTG, 11th) than in 2013-14 (105.3 dRTG, 10th), in fact I'd say it was worse because those 2013-14 numbers also include the bad start to the season with Gay.

In 2014-15 there was the huge dropoff down to 25th in the league but I feel like the system itself wasn't really the problem but rather the problem was trying to play that system with guys like Vasquez and Lou logging heavy minutes.
                                Our D was steady last year, and with our best defensive starter missing most of the year and Scola starting the whole year. You want consistency from your D. In 13-14 it was very good for January (i think it was) and ok or terrible for other months...complete crap by the end of the year. It was not a system we could actually rely on. This was with generally better personnel too. In 14-15 it was the clusterfuck that on top of a bad system we were running it with awful perimeter defenders (though the only real addition was Lou compared to the precious year).

So yeah, to me we've had the one truly solid defensive year last year (seriously if Scola had been appropriately benched we probably measure out even a bit better than we did).

Comment

Working...
                                X