Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I wrote: View Post
    It does look like he improved his strength and ability to finish through contact.
    Was thinking that too. Will help in the playoffs when the whistles dry up.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      Heir Canada made another appearance tonight.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
      Justin Trudeau was at the game?

Seriously though Air Canada was a shit nickname for Vince and this is even worse for Demar. Need to come up with something better.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Seriously though Air Canada was a shit nickname for Vince and this is even worse for Demar. Need to come up with something better.

Air Canada was a great name! As was vincanity and half man half amazing. Dont you go ruining my teenaged nostalgia, WMCJ!
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

justin trudeau is "hair" canada, get with the program already.

Comment

• Christina makes liking Demar more difficult than it needs to be

Comment

• http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/tea...TIAL_AST&dir=1

Anyone who thinks the assist numbers are just 'guys missing shots' is horribly wrong.

We're last in potential assists at 31.7/game. Second last is the Jazz at 36/game. The gap between us and the Jazz is bigger than the gap between the Jazz and the Rockets, who are 11th from the bottom.
              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post
                Christinamakes liking Demar more difficult than it needs to be
                Is this the nickname we've settled on for Chr1s1anL?

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                  http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/tea...TIAL_AST&dir=1

Anyone who thinks the assist numbers are just 'guys missing shots' is horribly wrong.

We're last in potential assists at 31.7/game. Second last is the Jazz at 36/game. The gap between us and the Jazz is bigger than the gap between the Jazz and the Rockets, who are 11th from the bottom.
                  I thought this argument and justification was killed last year in regards to "guys missing shots" and our assist numbers.

It wasn't true then ... and it's still not true.

That gap thing though is alarming.
                  "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                  "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                    I thought this argument and justification was killed last year in regards to "guys missing shots" and our assist numbers.

It wasn't true then ... and it's still not true.

That gap thing though is alarming.
                    Part of that gap is built on our pace, which is 5th slowest in the league.

But yes, the offensive system is not designed to generate assisted baskets.

But one warning - if the entire offence was built on DD coming around screens and taking tough catch and shoot long two's, we'd lead the league in potential assists (and maybe assists, even). We'd just score a lot less. It's not a be-all-end-all. Sure, I'd like some more ball movement via better recognition of failed scoring drives. But I actually like the concept behind the offence - take two elite drivers, have them work off of an elite screener and have a couple spot up shooters outside the arc. Hopefully the team can tune up throughout the year to use the screener and shooters more as defences lock onto the driving guards.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      Part of that gap is built on our pace, which is 5th slowest in the league.

But yes, the offensive system is not designed to generate assisted baskets.

But one warning - if the entire offence was built on DD coming around screens and taking tough catch and shoot long two's, we'd lead the league in potential assists (and maybe assists, even). We'd just score a lot less. It's not a be-all-end-all. Sure, I'd like some more ball movement via better recognition of failed scoring drives. But I actually like the concept behind the offence - take two elite drivers, have them work off of an elite screener and have a couple spot up shooters outside the arc. Hopefully the team can tune up throughout the year to use the screener and shooters more as defences lock onto the driving guards.
                      My concern is that if we get into the playoffs and find ourselves once again facing a defense designed to stop Lowry and DeMar, the other guys might not be ready to pick up the slack because they spent 6 months of the regular season not being asked to contribute on that end on a regular basis.

Comment

My concern is that if we get into the playoffs and find ourselves once again facing a defense designed to stop Lowry and DeMar, the other guys might not be ready to pick up the slack because they spent 6 months of the regular season not being asked to contribute on that end on a regular basis.
                        And that's fair. But the system shouldn't change in the playoffs. You still be running the same stuff, attacking the same way - you just need your star players to make better decisions with the ball. The disaster from DeRozan (Lowry just went cold) last spring was not an issue of the system not being able to accommodate that. It was a matter of DeRozan not using the outlets the system provides him. Other players were open, as they should be when one of our stars gets that much attention. He just crapped the bed. Hopefully he won't again. Ultimately, there's not much reason to have him on the team if you aren't going to rely on him to initiate offence. It's on him to learn when and how to pass when the defence takes away his primary options.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

And that's fair. But the system shouldn't change in the playoffs. You still be running the same stuff, attacking the same way - you just need your star players to make better decisions with the ball. The disaster from DeRozan (Lowry just went cold) last spring was not an issue of the system not being able to accommodate that. It was a matter of DeRozan not using the outlets the system provides him. Other players were open, as they should be when one of our stars gets that much attention. He just crapped the bed. Hopefully he won't again. Ultimately, there's not much reason to have him on the team if you aren't going to rely on him to initiate offence. It's on him to learn when and how to pass when the defence takes away his primary options.
                          I agree with all of that, I also think that DeMar needs to sometimes make the choice that even though he can score with ease, sometimes he needs to involve the other guys just to keep them involved. Not because it's a better option, but because it's the right decision. Show them he trusts them to make the right play when he doesn't have to, so hopefully they'll do it again when he needs them to.

Comment

They both also just missed a TON of good looks that they "normally make" (shoutout Matt Devlin), especially vs Indiana..probably part nerves.

Talking about the lack of assists is basically beating a dead horse at this point. I've come to accept that we're not gonna be the Spurs or a pretty euro league team. Early in the year we need more out of Patterson, and to a lesser extent Ross. They don't look accurate right now. #freenorm IMO he should have all of Ross minutes but its a seniority thing I guess

Comment

By not ready do you mean them missing open shot?

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                By not ready do you mean them missing open shot?

Again, this narrative is just false. If you want guys to hit shots, you have to give them opportunities more than once in a while. DeMar has had cold quarters or stretches of 4-5 shots where he can't hit a thing too, but those stretches take him a few minutes to start, process, and for him to start shooting his way out of them. For the players on our team outside of Lowry, DeMar and to some extent JV now, those 4-5 shots can take a game or two to work through.

Go back and look through the passing and potential assist numbers. Those 'open shots' you think they're missing aren't happening all that often.

Comment

Working...
                                X