Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Maybe it's not Ross we need to be discussing. Ross seems cemented as the first wing off the bench. Don't think he'll ever be reliable enough to be playing 32mpg as a starter.

But Powell can definitely be that Tony Allen type starter required to play D first, and make open shots second.

Need Carroll to string a few good games together, and then he becomes a nice trade chip to land that elusive PF we need
    Not far-fetched. The whole idea of Carroll was to be that elite defensive stopper for crafty big wings (e.g. Pierce, Joe Johnson, Lebron, Melo, etc...). But times have changed. You don't really need to worry about Pierce and JJ anymore. Against Lebron, all Carroll can do is foul him, and nobody stops LBJ anyway. And Melo is slowing down to the point where you could probably just put Patterson on him straight up or even Siakam down the road. The remaining elite big wing in the East is PG13 and Powell showed he could defend him.

The real issue would be if you could actually get trade value for the self-proclaimed JYD, given his injury history and somewhat being exposed in a non-Hawks shooter friendly system.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      The real issue would be if you could actually get trade value for the self-proclaimed JYD, given his injury history and somewhat being exposed in a non-Hawks shooter friendly system.
      As long as Bryan Colangelo is employed in this league, anything's possible!!! [insert Kevin Garnett .gif]
      Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Nov 3, 2016, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Maybe it's not Ross we need to be discussing. Ross seems cemented as the first wing off the bench. Don't think he'll ever be reliable enough to be playing 32mpg as a starter.

But Powell can definitely be that Tony Allen type starter required to play D first, and make open shots second.

Need Carroll to string a few good games together, and then he becomes a nice trade chip to land that elusive PF we need
        "Too early to be worried about this. 1) We still have 80 games left this season. 2) Powell still has plenty of career left to flourish as a Raptor."

That's what you said Monday when I suggested Powell get 6 mins and see what happens. Now he gets 14 and you want him to start?
        I don't think anyone should be cemented. Dd sat vs the pacers and that was the right decision.
        I see Dmc more as salary filler to be paired with youth in a trade. I'm not ready to make any assessment on Dmc bc i don't know if he's injured or lost a step from injury.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
          "Too early to be worried about this. 1) We still have 80 games left this season. 2) Powell still has plenty of career left to flourish as a Raptor."

That's what you said Monday when I suggested Powell get 6 mins and see what happens. Now he gets 14 and you want him to start?
          I don't think anyone should be cemented. Dd sat vs the pacers and that was the right decision.
          I see Dmc more as salary filler to be paired with youth in a trade. I'm not ready to make any assessment on Dmc bc i don't know if he's injured or lost a step from injury.
          My comment on Monday was in response to the idea that Powell's somehow getting robbed of minutes, in a thread titled "#FreeNorman".

I was not speaking about his fit as a starter. Big difference.

Comment

My comment on Monday was in response to the idea that Powell's somehow getting robbed of minutes, in a thread titled "#FreeNorman".

I was not speaking about his fit as a starter. Big difference.
            I agree with will Lou's assessment in his most recent pod that norm should sub in when the wings ahead of him falter. That was my position as well. They've all had ups and downs so he was robbed those minutes Imo.
            It's "too early" to say he should get any mins but not to say he should start? Or you are saying hypothetically at some later point in the season that you could see the fit?
            Either way, it's not too early to discuss bc here we are and norm had impact last night.

Comment

I agree with will Lou's assessment in his most recent pod that norm should sub in when the wings ahead of him falter. That was my position as well. They've all had ups and downs so he was robbed those minutes Imo.
              It's "too early" to say he should get any mins but not to say he should start? Or you are saying hypothetically at some later point in the season that you could see the fit?
              Either way, it's not too early to discuss bc here we are and norm had impact last night.
              From my perspective, Powell's (lack of) minutes isn't a big concern, because we're winning ball games still, and I trust that he will eventually get his fair shot at consistent minutes, whether this year or next.

But yes, in a hypothetical situation, I could see Powell fitting with the starters should he be given the opportunity today.

I didn't listen to Lou's podcast, but I too like the idea of Powell getting minutes when the wings ahead of him falter. Unless Masai has plans of "showcasing" either Carroll or Ross.

Comment

From my perspective, Powell's (lack of) minutes isn't a big concern, because we're winning ball games still, and I trust that he will eventually get his fair shot at consistent minutes, whether this year or next.

But yes, in a hypothetical situation, I could see Powell fitting with the starters should he be given the opportunity today.

I didn't listen to Lou's podcast, but I too like the idea of Powell getting minutes when the wings ahead of him falter. Unless Masai has plans of "showcasing" either Carroll or Ross.
                Accountability is a big concern for me, especially when it comes to Ross and more recently Dmc (like is he hurt, injured or lost a step!?).
                I think we should showcase all of them, so long as it helps the team win. And it did.
                I've read your comments for many years and appreciated and shared many of your sentiments. I singled you out but it stems from a general frustration from Blake to the regulars saying don't talk about #freenorm. I found that oppressive and absolute without any evidence of norm actually playing. If he played and shit the bed I'd stfu. I'm glad he got his opportunity and the rr community is open to discussing how to use him going forward. I'm not ready to say make him a starter yet but I see your perspective and I think it adds to the conversation.

Comment

Accountability is a big concern for me, especially when it comes to Ross and more recently Dmc (like is he hurt, injured or lost a step!?).
                  I think we should showcase all of them, so long as it helps the team win. And it did.
                  I've read your comments for many years and appreciated and shared many of your sentiments. I singled you out but it stems from a general frustration from Blake to the regulars saying don't talk about #freenorm. I found that oppressive and absolute without any evidence of norm actually playing. If he played and shit the bed I'd stfu. I'm glad he got his opportunity and the rr community is open to discussing how to use him going forward. I'm not ready to say make him a starter yet but I see your perspective and I think it adds to the conversation.
                  To add to that, my thoughts on Powell as a starter were under the assumption that Carroll would be used in a trade to upgrade our PF spot.

Hypothetically speaking, Powell could work as a 5th option behind Lowry, DeRozan, Jonas and say Millsap/Ibaka. This leaves the bench unit, which has been working really well as is, completely in tact (with Ross).
                  Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Nov 3, 2016, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Can't speak for everyone but the Powell conversation for me is mostly just an acknowledgement that he has two guys making nearly $100 million between them ahead of him. Both are vets. Both are proven (in one way or another, to some extent, your mileage may vary) but, of course those guys are going to have the first crack at the SF/first wing off the bench spots at the start of the season. At some point, Carroll will miss time (he always does) and Ross will have his ~40 poor games to go along with his ~40 good games (he always does), so, there will be lots of opportunity for Powell.

So, given all that, and given that they are 3-1 and playing well I don't see the freeNorm! stuff catching fire....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      Can't speak for everyone but the Powell conversation for me is mostly just an acknowledgement that he has two guys making nearly $100 million between them ahead of him. Both are vets. Both are proven (in one way or another, to some extent, your mileage may vary) but, of course those guys are going to have the first crack at the SF/first wing off the bench spots at the start of the season. At some point, Carroll will miss time (he always does) and Ross will have his ~40 poor games to go along with his ~40 good games (he always does), so, there will be lots of opportunity for Powell.

So, given all that, and given that they are 3-1 and playing well I don't see the freeNorm! stuff catching fire....
                      We already know carroll and ross ceiling. They are role players. Everybody talks about needing more to beat cleveland, well Powell could be that 4th stud to add to the core. But going status quo and plugging carroll and ross in there gets us nowhere.
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

The contract thing is a reality but I personally don't ascribe to it, whether the organization does or not - play the guy that performs and helps you win.
                        Dmc and Ross should have first crack and they do.
                        There's an article on #freenorm on the main page. If he plays well then I think it catches fire. Let's see...

Comment

• And the end of the day what does it matter if #freeNorm catches fire? Haven't we learned from scola, salmons, James johnson etc casey doesn't give a lick about what any of us have to cry about?

Either way. Play norm often is the hill I will die on this season. I believe the sky is the limit for him. Minutes for norm is my DanH "start patterson" this year.

Comment

• Warriors-Thunder tonight!!

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                              Warriors-Thunder tonight!!
                              Is there any storylines the media can latch on to for this game you speak of?

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                Is there any storylines the media can latch on to for this game you speak of?
                                No. None. Although I can't wait to see Westbrook and Durant on the same floor.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/3/13...s-jordan-brand

Comment

Working...
                                X