Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    they would be smarter to reverse the call... rather than open up the precedent of every home team clock operator suddenly having an ability to tacitly manipulate game outcomes ...

i expect an apology containing some type of reference that human error is part of every game and every sport and while controversial the officials made the decisions they did without bias and to the best of their ability...
    haha yea, "they have the hardest job in professional sports!! :*( "

Comment

• http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nb...62919620080111

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        I watched the game this morning before work.. that was such a strange end. I would assume that players are watching that shot clock like a hawk, and so Ross' instincts would be that he had a full 2.4 seconds left before shooting the ball. If the clock actually started during the deflection than Ross would see the clock and realize he has even less time. At least redo the play? To just call the game is so weird.

Also they didn't give 2Pat the foul on Cousins when it was pretty obvious.

Ultimately though they should never have been in that position. Lowry embellished quite a bit on that 3 point shot. Kings should have the ball up by 5 points not 3. A typical Kings/Raptors game. Raptors should have won but they just don't bring their A game against one of the worst teams in the league. And DD was awful last night. There goes his scoring average.
        The nba has to prove without a shadow of doubt that the time between cousins tip and ross shot was conclusively longer than the 2.4 seconds left on the clock. Which is still bullshit, because a slight delay on human error has been acceptable on every inbounds play since basketball has been played. But they still have to prove it, they cant just say they used some "digital clock" in the replay room.....can they???
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Valanciunas, first half: 11 FGA's, 6 FTA's (14 used offensive possessions), only two free throws came from his own offensive rebound (ie self-generated chances not from being involved in the offence). So 13 possessions where the team used JV as the finisher for the play in the first half (not even considering the high and low post playmaking chances they gave him early on).

Valanciunas, second half: 7 FGA's, 1 TOV (8 used possessions), FIVE of those FGA's from his own offensive rebound (ie not indicative of being an actual option in the offence). Shot 1/2 on possessions where he was actually passed the ball and took a shot.

So, JV was an option in the offence to the tune of 13 possessions in the first half.

JV was an option in the offence to the tune of 2 possessions in the second half.

Raptors scored 63 first half points.

Raptors scored 36 second half points.

Coincidence, I'm sure.
          It's what they've always done. The story that will get all the ink today is Ross's 3 being overturned, but the Raptors put themselves in that position by abandoning what worked for them. It's a matter of poor coaching and inflated ego. It really is. Why else would the offense shift so drastically to DD isolations and Lowry trying to draw fouls? The worst part about it is that we all knew after JV's huge first half exactly what was going to happen in the 2nd.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            Valanciunas, first half: 11 FGA's, 6 FTA's (14 used offensive possessions), only two free throws came from his own offensive rebound (ie self-generated chances not from being involved in the offence). So 13 possessions where the team used JV as the finisher for the play in the first half (not even considering the high and low post playmaking chances they gave him early on).

Valanciunas, second half: 7 FGA's, 1 TOV (8 used possessions), FIVE of those FGA's from his own offensive rebound (ie not indicative of being an actual option in the offence). Shot 1/2 on possessions where he was actually passed the ball and took a shot.

So, JV was an option in the offence to the tune of 13 possessions in the first half.

JV was an option in the offence to the tune of 2 possessions in the second half.

Raptors scored 63 first half points.

Raptors scored 36 second half points.

Coincidence, I'm sure.
            I'm almost comical at this point.
            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Sinbad wrote: View Post
              It's what they've always done. The story that will get all the ink today is Ross's 3 being overturned, but the Raptors put themselves in that position by abandoning what worked for them. It's a matter of poor coaching and inflated ego. It really is. Why else would the offense shift so drastically to DD isolations and Lowry trying to draw fouls? The worst part about it is that we all knew after JV's huge first half exactly what was going to happen in the 2nd.
              It was a west coast road game in the middle of a grueling travel schedule. Not surprised it came down to the end. Yes raptors should have kept going at jv, but I'm tired of reading pepole say "we put ourselves in that position" like, no, you shouldn't have to avoid a last minute call being fair because of suspect reffing. It's like a black guy who was unjustly shot by police for a small crime "put himself in that position"
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                It was a west coast road game in the middle of a grueling travel schedule. Not surprised it came down to the end. Yes raptors should have kept going at jv, but I'm tired of reading pepole say "we put ourselves in that position" like, no, you shouldn't have to avoid a last minute call being fair because of suspect reffing. It's like a black guy who was unjustly shot by police for a small crime "put himself in that position"
                Obviously there's more to it than involving JV. They played shameful defense for the better part of 3 quarters. It doesn't matter who they play right now if they're going to defend like they don't give a damn and try to outscore everyone. It's bad basketball. Was the call embarrassing? Absolutely. It's a horrible precedent to set. But we can't ignore or overlook how lethargic many of their sets were, and how they let the Kings off the hook.

And don't draw an equivalence between a basketball team playing badly and getting jobbed by a bad call, and a black guy being shot by police but being blamed for it after the fact. There are extensive studies pointing to implicit bias within law enforcement that make them more likely to shoot black men than they are people of other races.

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                  I'm almost comical at this point.
                  you were always comical hotfuzz

Comment

• +1 the police killing analogy is off base. We're talking about a game.

Comment

• Im first my first class, have a tutorial in a few minutes. For some reason i am still so FUCKING pissed. NBA litteraly robbed us, imagine if this was the finals, game 7. Fucking bullshit
                      Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

• they won't give us the appeal, if we've even made one. we don't play sacramento again.

it's total bullshit though, considering the clock did start before ross touched it (signifying they actually saw and signalled the deflection). and human reaction time is in play. I mean, by this logic, literally every play the clock stops and starts has an error, and there probably should have been an extra 10-20 seconds left in the game.

So human reaction time is OK in the first 47:56 but not the last 4 seconds?
                        Last edited by KHD; Mon Nov 21, 2016, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                          they won't give us the appeal, if we've even made one. we don't play sacramento again.

it's total bullshit though, considering the clock did start before ross touched it (signifying they actually saw and signalled the deflection). and human reaction time is in play. I mean, by this logic, literally every play the clock stops and starts has an error, and there probably should have been an extra 10-20 seconds left in the game.

So human reaction time is OK in the first 47:56 but not the last 4 seconds?
                          And therein lies the problem. I may be wrong, but doesn't the referee trigger the clock late in-game? If so, it's even more egregious that Ross's shot was taken away by a mistake the ref made.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                            wow, that was total BS. Should have went to OT. They are basically saying that the time from the Cousins deflection to the start of the shot clock was actually GREATER than the time it took the ball to go from Ross hands to the basket. Cause it looked to me that he released at 0.5 sec. It was probably more accurately between 0.4 and 0.5. Either way they are saying the ball travelled ~28 feet on the Ross shot in less time than the difference between the Cousins tip and the start of the shot clock. Bogus. Ripped off a chance to win a game there.
                            Actually, after seeing the replay multiple times it's clear that time ended with Ross' shot about halfway to the basket. So my logic is flawed. It may have been the right call, but we still got screwed. Ross may have gotten the shot before he did had the clock started when it should have. Terrible way to end a game.

Comment

• Sinbad wrote: View Post
                              And therein lies the problem. I may be wrong, but doesn't the referee trigger the clock late in-game? If so, it's even more egregious that Ross's shot was taken away by a mistake the ref made.
                              yes, they do.

I just don't see how they have any justification for what they've done.

Comment

• Im first my first class, have a tutorial in a few minutes. For some reason i am still so FUCKING pissed. NBA litteraly robbed us, imagine if this was the finals, game 7. Fucking bullshit
                                Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

Working...
                                X