Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA.com says this about final 2 minute reviewable calls:

Since the 2008-09 season, referees have reviewed all plays in which they have reasonable certainty the game clock malfunctioned and it continued to run to 0:00 or should have run to 0:00.

If referees are reasonably certain there was a clock malfunction in this situation, they use video in an attempt to determine the amount of time (if any) that should be on the game clock.

If there was a successful field goal on the play, they will also try to determine if the shot left the shooter's hand before the expiration of actual time.
    They're not gunna apologize and they'll use that as the reason

Comment

• Sam17 wrote: View Post
      NBA.com says this about final 2 minute reviewable calls:

They're not gunna apologize and they'll use that as the reason
      the bigger problem is that it's not really safe to call it a "malfunction" considering the average human reaction time is about 0.2 seconds to visual stimuli to begin with.

Comment

• The nba even put out the shadiest transcript of some back room interview with the ref with only a lone reporter present from the washington post. He's in such a rush to say "2.5 seconds went off the clock from tipping the ball to ross touching it" that be doesn't even say that correctly. Then, "how was that determined" "a digital clock in the replay center" ah, yes, ok.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Man, oh man. If the NBA doesn't mea culpa, then they have just opened up a huge can of worms for all future and past buzzer beaters. Like looking back, at least half of those buzzer beaters never actually counted, based on human reaction time alone. Those are some of the greatest plays in the history of the NBA. The best of the best highlight reels, indelibly etched into the folklore of the sport.

And apparently they never really happened.....

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
            the bigger problem is that it's not really safe to call it a "malfunction" considering the average human reaction time is about 0.2 seconds to visual stimuli to begin with.
            Yeah that's true

Comment

• And scrolling through espn, nba.com, all the major usa sports sites, it's not even mentioned on their main pages. If you read game recaps you'd feel it was a small issue that could have gone either way. I could just imagine the headlines if this happened to steph curry..wait, no I can't imagine, cause it wouldn't.

This whole think just reeks.

Comment

And even THEN: Refs didn't stop the play. Their job is to blow the fucking whistle if there's a problem with the shot clock and they didn't.

Comment

Well, that's the principled issue. Unless they're going to have a ball with sensors somehow tied to the game clock you're never going to have perfectly accurate timekeeping. Even then, there will be some delay between the signals. Which is why claiming that a human being operating a timer thousands of miles away based on a replay is ridiculous.
                  Last edited by slaw; Mon Nov 21, 2016, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• Not sure if this was posted yet ...

Comment

• Going away from JV wasn't a smart choice either.

I keep watching the play,and am still stumped. The shot was out of his hsnds as the buzzer sounded, and you clearly see that they fix the clock from 2.4 to 2.2 after the error happened.

Let us replay the shot, NBA.
                      Axel wrote:
                      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                        Well, that's the principled issue. Unless they're going to have a ball with sensors somehow tied to the game clock you're never going to have perfectly accurate timekeeping. Even then, there will be some delay between the signals. Which is why claiming that a human being operating a timer thousands of miles away based on a replay is ridiculous.
                        Yeah, I replayed it in real time with my cell phone timer and my own human error varied from 2.22 to 2.56 on like 8 different attempts. More often than not though, it was under 2.4. And that was me with 8 practice attempts anticipating the cousins touch and nailing it. I've never seen the clock start EXACTLY on impact of a tip, to go back and do your own count without release of video proof, just a referee transcript after the game stammering "it was more than 2.4 seconds. Uh, 2.5 seconds! Digital clock!"

Beyond bush league. I've gotten over BRUTAL calls before. This is different. This has permanently damaged my trust for the nba.

Comment

• Ok guys. This one is over. Time to move on, Clippers next.

Comment

• I think they should let the official outcome be the NBA's first ever tie game to forever commemorate this historic moment of epic officiating futility.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                              Ok guys. This one is over. Time to move on, Clippers next.

Never! On to the Clippers, but we'll never forget how they robbed us! I hope the NBA doesn't think they can just pretend it didn't happen.....We need an official apology!

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                                Never! On to the Clippers, but we'll never forget how they robbed us! I hope the NBA doesn't think they can just pretend it didn't happen.....We need an official apology!
                                Agreed, the worst thing you can do is just take this lying down. Raptors brass needs to raise hell.

Comment

Working...
                                X