Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And from 6 days ago, Pelton again:

while the Warriors were expected to threaten records on offense with their talent, the Raptors don't have the same pedigree. But maybe we need to start rethinking that.

Since the beginning of the 2014-15 season, Toronto has scored as efficiently as any team outside the Bay Area. The L.A. Clippers are a hair ahead of the Raptors in offensive rating, but the Drakes have outscored the Cavaliers, the San Antonio Spurs and everyone else.
    The Raptors have achieved strong offensive results with a different formula than their peers. Led by the Warriors, according to Basketball-Reference.com the other four top teams in offensive rating since 2014-15 also rank Nos. 1-4 in shooting, as measured by effective field goal percentage (eFG), the most important of Dean Oliver's four factors of offense. Toronto ranks eighth, behind five teams that have scored less efficiently per possession. The Raptors rank 14th over that span in 3-point attempts and eighth in makes.

To compensate for the relative lack of outside shooting, Toronto has relied on offensive balance. The Raptors rank in the top 10 in all four factors since 2014-15, the only team that can make that claim. In fact, Toronto and Cleveland are the lone two teams that rank in the top 19 in all four factors.

While the Raptors don't shoot nearly as well as Golden State, they rank ahead of the Warriors in all three other facets of offense.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Well, the obvious reason would be once the playoffs hit the offence has largely disappeared, historically.
      Heavy workload and bad luck as well with Lowry being injured the past 2 postseasons and DD and JV last year.
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
        Heavy workload and bad luck as well with Lowry being injured the past 2 postseasons and DD and JV last year.
        I don't disagree. But we still have no evidence of the offence lasting into the playoffs. I like the offence, I'm just saying that that's the obvious counterpoint.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• [QUOTE=rocwell;700183]Ugh. Still hurts.

I was feeling for you last night. Next year.

Comment

• Warriors in tough tonight against the Timberpuppies

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              I feel like opposition game-planning specifically against Lowry and DD was one of, if not the main factor in the ORTG dropoff from regular season to playoffs the last 2 seasons.

This year seems different. It looks like Lowry/DD are making a conscious effort to get teammates involved, instead of trying to force their offense against double/triple teams. This is having the side effect of maximizing the offensive potential of the entire roster and this historic offensive. It's showing off the talent on this roster. If this keeps up, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the playoffs. We may just be able to outscore teams and/or role players will step up to steal a few games in the playoffs.

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                Warriors in tough tonight against the Timberpuppies
                Yeah close one.... but the pups lost another one... and the slide to the lottery yet again continues...
                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                - TGO

Comment

Well, the obvious reason would be once the playoffs hit the offence has largely disappeared, historically.
                  In 2013-14 our oRTG in the playoffs was higher than the regular season.

Lowry especially needs to show up and we'll be fine offensively. He completely no-showed against Washington and struggled against Indiana although I guess you can attribute that to his injury.

Comment

• FYI, for those interested, based on my model:

Expected ORTG for an average team in this game: 104.5
                    Expected DRTG for an average team in this game: 106.5

Raptors ORTG in this game: 104.3
                    Raptors DRTG in this game: 95.3

Offensive performance: +2.4
                    Defensive performance: +13.8

Worst offensive performance since the last SAC game. One of the best defensive performances of the season, along with the Lakers and Hawks games 10 days ago. Both probably explained to a degree with BOS's worst defensive and best offensive player missing from this one.

Pythagorean win projection now at 65. Model win projection now at 57.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post

The LeBron stopper ladies and gents
                      Man, I miss Biz.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• W
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
                          In 2013-14 our oRTG in the playoffs was higher than the regular season.

Lowry especially needs to show up and we'll be fine offensively. He completely no-showed against Washington and struggled against Indiana although I guess you can attribute that to his injury.
                          Yes, both years can and should be attributed to his injury. Though DeRozan's performance last season cannot.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yes, both years can and should be attributed to his injury. Though DeRozan's performance last season cannot.
                            Ever hear of a sucking chest wound? He had that except for the chest wound part.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                              Powell better get some minutes
                              Have no fear, he'll get 2 minutes to close the 1st half. Hopefully he can handle that load
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I never realised how close the East is until now, there's only 2 games separating the 3rd seed from the 10th seed. And somehow the freaking Knicks are tied for 3rd.

Comment

Working...
                                X