No announcement yet.

Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even with the late let-up, still an above average performance (for the league, not for the Raps). Offence still rolling.

Expected ORTG for an average team in this game: 104.9
    Expected DRTG for an average team in this game: 96.8

Raptors ORTG in this game: 124.4
    Raptors DRTG in this game: 117.5

Offensive performance: +20.9
    Defensive performance: -19.3

Crazy good offensive performance. Late let-up killed the defence.

Pythagorean win projection now at 65. Model win projection now at 57.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Dan the man pouring on the Ws
      OG is our king

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
        Anyway, not quite the laugher we hoped for but we won, as opposed to the Celtics, Hornets, Pacers and Cavs who semi-gifted the Grizz a W.
        Actually, if any team deserves a bit of a gift it's the Grizz.

Half game back and 4 up on the 3rd place Knicks.
        All that hype given to the Celtics and Bulls, and it's the Knicks with their injury-riddled Chicago refugees that are in third at the moment. I'm having a little difficulty wrapping my head around it.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Even with the late let-up, still an above average performance (for the league, not for the Raps). Offence still rolling.

Expected ORTG for an average team in this game: 104.9
          Expected DRTG for an average team in this game: 96.8

Raptors ORTG in this game: 124.4
          Raptors DRTG in this game: 117.5

Offensive performance: +20.9
          Defensive performance: -19.3

Crazy good offensive performance. Late let-up killed the defence.

Pythagorean win projection now at 65. Model win projection now at 57.
          How was our defence going before the let up in the fourth? Also how do you feel about our defence? I know it's very early and there is still time for it to improve but do you really think we can get deep into the playoffs again if our defence doesn't get any better? Also do you think this offence will keep up in the playoffs or is it more likely to falter like it has before? Other than it being elite right now what is making our offence so much more reliable this year than years prior? I love to hear your take on things.
          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• tonious35 wrote: View Post
            had an 18 point lead into the 4th, should demolish them more, but then Casey believed Siakam was good enough. That kid has hit the rookie slump
            Isn't an 18 point lead in the 4th the perfect opportunity for a coach to give his rookies some burn? You can't get mad at the coach for trying to coach.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
              How was our defence going before the let up in the fourth? Also how do you feel about our defence? I know it's very early and there is still time for it to improve but do you really think we can get deep into the playoffs again if our defence doesn't get any better? Also do you think this offence will keep up in the playoffs or is it more likely to falter like it has before? Other than it being elite right now what is making our offence so much more reliable this year than years prior? I love to hear your take on things.
              At about 105 DRTG through 3 Qs.

If Lowry gets hurt again like the last two years, the offence will falter again (though if we had a solid defence and he got hurt like two years ago that would falter too). Otherwise I see no reason why it should.

I absolutely think the Raptors can win two rounds against the rest of the East with the defence they've shown so far. The rest of the East is not exactly a powerhouse.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• TheWaterboy wrote: View Post
                All that hype given to the Celtics and Bulls, and it's the Knicks with their injury-riddled Chicago refugees that are in third at the moment. I'm having a little difficulty wrapping my head around it.
                Not part difficult to understand

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/ran...ength-by-other

The Knicks have wins over the Lakers, Kings (twice), Heat, Timberpuppies (twice), Hornets, Trailblazers, Hawks, Pistons, Mavs, Nets, and Bulls.

They've faced the Cavs once, the Thunder once, and the Raptors once, all losses. They have a tougher schedule for the rest of the year. The Raptors will actually have one of the easiest schedules (based on opponent win loss record) for the rest of the year.

Comment

I'm not sure where Celtics defence ranks, but they were one of the few teams to slow us down. When they get their leading scorer back they could be dangerous.

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                    Not part difficult to understand

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/ran...ength-by-other

The Knicks have wins over the Lakers, Kings (twice), Heat, Timberpuppies (twice), Hornets, Trailblazers, Hawks, Pistons, Mavs, Nets, and Bulls.

They've faced the Cavs once, the Thunder once, and the Raptors once, all losses. They have a tougher schedule for the rest of the year. The Raptors will actually have one of the easiest schedules (based on opponent win loss record) for the rest of the year.
                    And even with that easy schedule, the Knicks have a negative point differential, the only top 7 team in either conference who have given up more points than they've scored.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                      Isn't an 18 point lead in the 4th the perfect opportunity for a coach to give his rookies some burn? You can't get mad at the coach for trying to coach.
                      Well, in theory that's also the perfect time to rest your stars, which he did with DeMar but not Lowry or JV, which was odd.

Consider this: if you have a ~20 point lead, you have several options/outcomes.

You leave your stars in, the lead stays the same or grows, you win but your stars don't get the rest you'd expect of a blowout.
                      You take your stars out, the lead stays the same or grows, you win and you get rest (yay!).
                      You leave your stars in, the lead shrinks, you are forced to further leave your stars in to close it out while they get no rest.
                      You take your stars out, the lead shrinks, you bring back your stars after getting them some rest to close out the game.

Any of those can happen. But option 3, which is the worst by far (all the others are positive outcomes in at least one sense), is only possible if you leave your stars in with a big lead. While the reward is option 1, which is probably on par with option 4 in terms of middling rewards, and you have no chance of option 2.

So, in general, I think absolutely the team should be resting stars and playing young guys when they have a big lead like that, even earlier in the game. With young guys like Norm, there's no guarantee the lead even decreases much.

But in particular, the last thing you want to do is play a lineup that a) increases the chance of losing that lead AND b) gets you little to no rest for your stars. And that's exactly what Casey did - as soon as I saw Siakam out there, I knew there was a run coming for the 76ers. So if you are accepting that run (and you are, if you are putting that lineup out there), why not give them that run while sitting guys like JV and Lowry? Because when it goes bad, it means those guys playing the entire 4th Q just to close out a blowout. Even if you sit them for a few minutes at the start of the 4th, are the backups really going to give up worse than 27 points in 9 minutes?

Heck, the real damage was done because that lineup was left out so long. They were out there for 7 minutes while the lead went from 18 points to ... 18 points. Even in a regular rotation you'd sub guys off after that many minutes that late in the game, heck an 18 point lead with 5 minutes left is practically a guarantee of subbing guys off for garbage time. The risks are so much lower and the rewards so much more obvious at that stage.

That's the puzzling decision. JV-Siakam lineups don't really work, and they were lucky to hold the lead steady for so long playing together (nevermind with CoJo, who played the final 16 minutes straight). So why run them for longer than you'd run any unit that late in any other game, let alone leave them in the game tired when it's obvious you should be going to the bench, if not the deep bench, with a lead that large that late.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        I'm not sure where Celtics defence ranks, but they were one of the few teams to slow us down. When they get their leading scorer back they could be dangerous.
                        Boston is 9th in offensive efficiency at 106.4, while only 0.3 better than Toronto on the defensive end.

Comment

The Knicks are hanging in but will slip back to .500 over the next week or so. Still think they finish 9th.
                          Boston is going to be a 45 win team...Still hard to read the Bulls...Rondo could poison them from inside and they are one Wade injury away from being in the playoffs to being out.

The east is a two horse race....add to Cleveland as they have Lebron and no one else does.
                          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                          - TGO

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            I'll take the win. One dominant Q was all we needed, got it in the 3rd, though end of 2nd was a nice start.

Kind of funny how ineffective the two rooks were this game (our rooks). Siakam was brutal, though I applaud the effort he put in trying to defend that monster. Poeltl couldn't do anything right.

Good on Casey to start Pat in the 3rd, put the game out of reach in no time. Liked the small ball bench units too.

Weird choice to a) go back to Siakam in the 4th while at the same time b) leaving JV and Lowry out there with him, because that's a formula for losing points, especially tonight, and might as well be resting those two if you are going to bleed points. Kind of odd to give DeMar the rest of the night off while riding Lowry (and JV, played all but 40 seconds of the 4th) to the end, but hey, I'll take some rest for someone, I guess.

I don't mind the team letting off the gas late against a poor opponent. Was never any danger of this one slipping away. Even late when the team was clearly done and couldn't be bothered to inbound the ball properly, and the guards couldn't be bothered to react to pressure. Would prefer they let off the gas while letting Lowry and JV sit, but oh well.

I know it probably means nothing but I'm getting giddy just at the thought that the 3rd Q lineup (in combination with recent quick hooks for Siakam) might be a sign of an impending starting lineup change.

Anyway, streak continues.
                            One can only hope this is true.
                            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Guess who played the whole 4th Q.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                              ... well; at least you're not even pretending to hide it any more. It's actually just funny now though (especially since the players were treating it as garbage time).

Because I doubt you're talking about Lowry, Siakam or CoJo.
                              Last edited by Just Is; Thu Dec 15, 2016, 10:20 AM.
                              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Finally watched the whole game. Don't really have a problem with DeRozan not playing in the 4th. I mean, they had a 19 point lead with i think 8 mins left in the 4th.14 point lead with 4 mins left. That shit was over. No need to bring him back.

My bigger issue was, why did Casey left Lowry there the entire 4th?

PS- What about that windmill dunk by Ross? and the DeRozan dunk on Okafor? DAMN.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X