Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHD wrote: View Post
    Bismack would make little difference when your guards allow guys to walk past them like they did tonight. i don't care how guard-centric our offence is, those guys cannot get a pass on playing at least somewhat competent perimeter D.
    Well I would like to agree. But we had these same players last year and the defense NEVER looked this bad last year. I don't think we had not one game where we played defense as bad as we did in this game. So to me it's either Greer or Biz or both that really made the difference
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• It doesn't matter how great you are.. Trap games will always happen in the NBA.

On to the next one.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        First off, apologies for not pulling this one out. Best of luck to the next game thread starter. 4-1 isn't terrible for a rookie, I guess.

On to the game. Also known as, the first truly terribly coached game this season. Holy Hannah I though we were past this nonsense. How do you let Bud get the matchup he wants for so much of the night? JV was struggling in his own right, but he was struggling, not getting destroyed. As soon as Howard sat, so should have JV, and you play that matchup all night. At least make it tough on Howard instead of really, really easy. BeBe just cannot handle real centres, nevermind a monster like Dwight.

And I am so tired of the freaking Siakam starting lineup. Want a story of the game tonight? Wrong starting PF, was -8 in 8 minutes. Wrong C matchup - BeBe was -13 in 13 minutes. Spot the opposition 21 points because you don't know how to construct a lineup or match up defensively (which is supposed to be Casey's freaking calling card), and you don't deserve to win. Good fight from the team to make it close, going small against their small late lineup while Howard was out of the game, and using the correct starters-with-PP lineup late (with Ross instead of Carroll, who looked off in this one).

I like that I knew it was going to be close and that they'd make a run, just don't have it in them to lose big. I hate that they were down big for such silly reasons to start with. Ugh. I've been really impressed with Casey this season but that was a legitimate coaching loss, regardless of the lacklustre early effort.

I suppose they have to drop one now and again. Still, would love for the other team to beat us, rather than beating ourselves.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
          Well I would like to agree. But we had these same players last year and the defense NEVER looked this bad last year. I don't think we had not one game where we played defense as bad as we did in this game. So to me it's either Greer or Biz or both that really made the difference
          I mean the 30 point playoff losses to CLE were pretty horrendous, but yeah they never gave up this many points in the reg season even once last year.

They also started out with a heavy, heavy focus on D right from training camp last year.

I think there's a bit of everything - Greer's gone, BB's gone, but also these guys atm seem to have a bit of believing themselves (especially their offence) to be too good. They just aren't putting in the work + intensity a full game of solid D requires. Too much cruise control, need more hunger on that end. Sounds cliche, but you see it come out a quarter at a time when they really want it. A bit of a bad habit, can't just turn it on for a few minutes a game and beat everybody.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I find it a bit ironic that some of the guys who have been gloating about sticking with DeRozan for all these years - look at the player he's become! - are arguing the hardest for cutting bait with a 24 year old JV.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
              So the bad defense from literally everyone had nothing to do with it? I know you're big on lineups and plus minus with certain lineups but I really don't think that was our only problem. Our defense looked like Triano days out there and Bebe and Pascal arent the sole reasons for that. I saw Kyle Demar Cory Demarre Ross and even Powell gets blown by like it was nothing over and over and over again. The defense is why we lost this game and that bad defense led to the bad rebounding. Casey shouldn't have had Bebe in there with Dwight no question but I won't put this loss solely on Casey. The defensive effort and execution was non existent with Pascal and Bebe in the game or without them. But I agree that it was definitely worse with those two on the floor tonight.
              Of course it had something to do with it. Can't control everyone just deciding not to play defence. Can definitely control putting your team in the best position to win games regardless of the things you can't control.

I'd rather be having a conversation about how we did everything right and we're just not there defensively and what to do about that beyond hoping for better effort. Instead I had to watch the coach throw away a winnable game, and it's a little difficult to look past that and see anything meaningful.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                I find it a bit ironic that some of the guys who have been gloating about sticking with DeRozan for all these years - look at the player he's become! - are arguing the hardest for cutting bait with a 24 year old JV.
                but, based on the history on this forum, not surprising.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                  I find it a bit ironic that some of the guys who have been gloating about sticking with DeRozan for all these years - look at the player he's become! - are arguing the hardest for cutting bait with a 24 year old JV.
                  I'm not even arguing to trade JV. We just need a defensive C, even as a backup.

Comment

• Bebe picks up fouls like crazy.... He gets pushed around too easily.....We can't rely on a rookie in Jakob...... Maybe Sully is the answer but I'm not sure he's athletic enough and he's not a shot blocker. At least Sully won't get pushed around like Bebe.

Look how well we did with Scola and a Defensive C who was terrible offensively.....Are there no defensive C's left in the league? Honest question!

Comment

Of course it had something to do with it. Can't control everyone just deciding not to play defence. Can definitely control putting your team in the best position to win games regardless of the things you can't control.

I'd rather be having a conversation about how we did everything right and we're just not there defensively and what to do about that beyond hoping for better effort. Instead I had to watch the coach throw away a winnable game, and it's a little difficult to look past that and see anything meaningful.
                      I guess.
                      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• A lot of overreaction. Yeah loss sucks but you dont make trades because we lost to Hawks.
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Raps needed that loss. They can't keep playing like this and expect to compete in the playoffs. I don't care how good they are offensively. They need to play better D than this.They should know this by now, they got swept by the Wiz playing like this.

The guards kept getting beat off the dribble on a consistent basis. Schroder ate Lowry alive tonight.

Help D is non existent. Zero rim protection. JV is probably one of the worst defensive bigs in the game. Noguiera isn't any better.

This team miss Biyombo a lot not just because of his rim protection
                          They miss his toughness, physicality and leadership. He was their anchor on D last year.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

First off, apologies for not pulling this one out. Best of luck to the next game thread starter. 4-1 isn't terrible for a rookie, I guess.

On to the game. Also known as, the first truly terribly coached game this season. Holy Hannah I though we were past this nonsense. How do you let Bud get the matchup he wants for so much of the night? JV was struggling in his own right, but he was struggling, not getting destroyed. As soon as Howard sat, so should have JV, and you play that matchup all night. At least make it tough on Howard instead of really, really easy. BeBe just cannot handle real centres, nevermind a monster like Dwight.

And I am so tired of the freaking Siakam starting lineup. Want a story of the game tonight? Wrong starting PF, was -8 in 8 minutes. Wrong C matchup - BeBe was -13 in 13 minutes. Spot the opposition 21 points because you don't know how to construct a lineup or match up defensively (which is supposed to be Casey's freaking calling card), and you don't deserve to win. Good fight from the team to make it close, going small against their small late lineup while Howard was out of the game, and using the correct starters-with-PP lineup late (with Ross instead of Carroll, who looked off in this one).

I like that I knew it was going to be close and that they'd make a run, just don't have it in them to lose big. I hate that they were down big for such silly reasons to start with. Ugh. I've been really impressed with Casey this season but that was a legitimate coaching loss, regardless of the lacklustre early effort.

I suppose they have to drop one now and again. Still, would love for the other team to beat us, rather than beating ourselves.
                            Is siakam starting a bigger issue than scola starting at this point?
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• You know one silver lining of this game? Despite facing a multitude of athletic wing defenders, DeMar was able to create offense over and over again.

People like to shit on volume scoring but anyone who watched tonight's game can't tell me that having a guy who can continually break droughts and keep you in a game is easily replaced.

Of course the pessimist in me is trying frantically to erase all memories of the 1000 perimeter blowbys (not all of which were Demar's fault).

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                Is siakam starting a bigger issue than scola starting at this point?
                                At least defensively the answer seems to be a resounding yes, which I wouldn't have believed if you told me a month ago. Starting lineup is now up to a 113 DRTG. You may recall that the Raptors are setting the all time efficiency record with a 115 team ORTG. 113 is pretty close to 115. Meaning that the average starting lineup ours faces is looking a lot like the best offence in the history of the game.

With Scola the offence scuttled and the defence was bad, and by the end of the season he was about as bad as you can get. But Siakam is just not there yet to play at NBA speed, certainly not to fulfill the needs of that starting lineup. The fact that the starting lineup looks so bad defensively and is getting worse with time suggests that Siakam has a) been scouted and b) is hitting the rookie wall, which does not suggest there's much room for hope they will get better naturally.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X