Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Hey guys I missed the game last night..what happened?
    Howard ate JV and Bebe for breakfast and the defense was non-existent.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
      Yeah, to me this is the big problem with our defense, not simply that we're poor at contesting at the rim, but that we allow the most attempts at the rim in the league. Incremental improvements to our rim defense are not going to make a huge swing in our points allowed at the rim unless we significantly reduce the number of attempts.

Here's how bad our penetration problem is: if you replaced our rim defense with San Antonio's league-leading 48.8% rim protection, while not reducing the number of rim attempts we give up, we would still be allowing 16.6 field goals, third worst in the league. In other words, rim defense is a problem of quantity for us, not quality.
      another fun fact, orlando is allowing opponents to shoot a better % at the rim than we are. so there's that.

Comment

• JV and Bebe vs HAWKS this year.

http://stats.nba.com/vs/advanced/#!?...mID=1610612737
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          What are we trying to show here?
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

what exactly is your point?

Comment

Sup?

Comment

• Why can't i view this forum on mobile view?
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                  Why can't i view this forum on mobile view?
                  It's too toxic for your phone.

Ask here: http://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/fo...ns-or-Feedback

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                    Why can't i view this forum on mobile view?
                    Try using the Tapatalk app. Thats what I've been using.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
                    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                      Try using the Tapatalk app. Thats what I've been using.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
                      Actually you're using an STV100-3. LIAR
                      OG is our king

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                        Yeah, to me this is the big problem with our defense, not simply that we're poor at contesting at the rim, but that we allow the most attempts at the rim in the league. Incremental improvements to our rim defense are not going to make a huge swing in our points allowed at the rim unless we significantly reduce the number of attempts.

Here's how bad our penetration problem is: if you replaced our rim defense with San Antonio's league-leading 48.8% rim protection, while not reducing the number of rim attempts we give up, we would still be allowing 16.6 field goals, third worst in the league. In other words, rim defense is a problem of quantity for us, not quality.
                        Improving our rim protection alone isn't going to fix that. However getting a center who can actually play the schemes properly and hedge effectively to prevent the drive to the rim in the first place would get those attempts down. That's the point. We don't just want a better rim protector we also want someone who actually has some real speed, lateral quickness and athleticism to play modern defensive schemes.

There's a reason that most plodding centers like JV are coming off the bench even if they are better than the starter offensively. Most teams run spread offenses and spam pick and rolls and with the way guys are launching threes these days combined with how athletic the guards are gong to the rim, you need a bigman who has the mobility to help and defend these kind of plays at a high level.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                          But wait! There's more.

Points Saved at the Rim per 36 (which is more than just blocks by the way) he was 0.24. Right smack dab in the middle for centers.

FG% at the rim, he was high-ish. But here are some that were below him (comparing with other centers because of similar defensive roles):

Dwight Howard: -0.66 PS/36..... (50.1% at rim)
                          Andre Drummond: -0.10 PS/36..... (52.4% at rim)
                          Tyson Chandler: -0.76..... (52.6% at rim)

So yeah. Rim protection is a little overrated.
                          These are nylon calculus from last year, not this yr.

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/

I've been out all day and night on my phone. It takes more time and a laptop to research this. Something to look at later. Blocks was easy at the time and I didn't know what stats you were referencing, just said jv was middle of the pack rim protector or defender iirc.

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                            These are nylon calculus from last year, not this yr.

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/

I've been out all day and night on my phone. It takes more time and a laptop to research this. Something to look at later. Blocks was easy at the time and I didn't know what stats you were referencing, just said jv was middle of the pack rim protector or defender iirc.
                            Yes they are from last year. I said before that JV was solid with Greer's scheme.

His stats now must be brutal.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                              Yes they are from last year. I said before that JV was solid with Greer's scheme.

His stats now must be brutal.
                              His "solid" with Greer's help last year was (and I counted manually so don't quote me)

Something like 86th out of 115 players on the list

For reference Biz was 8th out of 115 players on the list (much easier to count because he's at the top of the list)

Backs up what we are trying to point out....Players know they have it much easier driving in vs. JV than they would have vs. Someone like Biz. This is why they will continue to be so eager to get past our guards.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
                                ...getting a center who can actually play the schemes properly and hedge effectively to prevent the drive to the rim in the first place would get those attempts down...
                                You know what would really get those attempts down? Guards that can stay in front of their man. I have three persistent images that are stuck in my mind from the Atlanta game. Two of them are Beebe and JV rushing out to meet Hawks players driving to the basket who then dump the ball off to teammates standing all alone in the paint. The third image is DD following his man into the paint and trailing by 4 or 5 feet.

Lots went wrong with the "D" in that game, but it wasn't Beebe and JV not hedging. Lack of guard "D", screwed up rotations, players biting on pump fakes (Raps were worse the Hawks on that), and stupid turnovers. Biyombo isn't going to fix any of that.

Comment

Working...
                                X