Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• special1 wrote: View Post
    His "solid" with Greer's help last year was (and I counted manually so don't quote me)

Something like 86th out of 115 players on the list

For reference Biz was 8th out of 115 players on the list (much easier to count because he's at the top of the list)
    Did you count by 2s? How the hell did you get 86... He's nowhere near there for points saved at the rim/36. He's right in the middle of the pack.. which is average.

special1 wrote: View Post
    Backs up what we are trying to point out....Players know they have it much easier driving in vs. JV than they would have vs. Someone like Biz. This is why they will continue to be so eager to get past our guards.
    Oh and look, there's a stat right beside it to call out your BS! JV saw less shots at the rim on average when he was on the court compared to off. So much for that.

Comment

• the LA clippers, the 2nd best defensive team in the NBA by DRTG, are allowing a better % at the rim than we are. Anyone want to argue that they need a new defensive center?

The real difference they allow 8 fewer rim FGA per game than us. At a percentage of around 50%, that's 8 points per game.

Last season, we allowed 29.8 attempts/game at the rim, this season 34. We went from 14th best (middle of the pack) to second worst. Our percentage allowed at the rim has slipped by 1.6%. We are giving up 18.2 FGM/game at the rim. So, if we could get our attempts back down to 29.8, we'd be giving up 15.94 FGM/game at the rim, compared to 15.5 last year, for a difference of about 1 point per game.

It's about number of attempts. always has been. the best defensive teams will keep guys out of the paint, and that starts on the perimeter. We have terrible perimeter defenders -> we give up rim FGA.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
        Did you count by 2s? How the hell did you get 86... He's nowhere near there for points saved at the rim/36. He's right in the middle of the pack.. which is average.

Oh and look, there's a stat right beside it to call out your BS! JV saw less shots at the rim on average when he was on the court compared to off. So much for that.
        You are now the master of deflections.....deflect deflect deflect. lol I remember you being better than this man.

I was referencing the Nylon Calculus article. Did you open it? Did you count?

First of all these numbers are from last season.....so my point that players/opposing teams NOW know that JV doesn't put up much resistance doesn't change. I shudder, like really shudder, to think of what the numbers would look like now. You even admitted that they would be brutal. Also, the difference is so small with the on/off so bringing it up doesn't prove anything.

Listen to what you're arguing man..... Without Greer JV is awful?

I guess JV should've begged for Greer to stay......I'm talking hands and knees....

With Greer he was "solid" with below average rim protection and middle of the pack points saved at the rim/36.

You seem impressed with this......really sad
        Last edited by special1; Sun Dec 18, 2016, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• I ALMOST went and recounted but then I realized

For reference Biz was 8th out of 115 players on the list (much easier to count because he's at the top of the list)
          You even miscounted this

I'm done here. Thanks KHD

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
            the LA clippers, the 2nd best defensive team in the NBA by DRTG, are allowing a better % at the rim than we are. Anyone want to argue that they need a new defensive center?

The real difference they allow 8 fewer rim FGA per game than us. At a percentage of around 50%, that's 8 points per game.

Last season, we allowed 29.8 attempts/game at the rim, this season 34. We went from 14th best (middle of the pack) to second worst. Our percentage allowed at the rim has slipped by 1.6%. We are giving up 18.2 FGM/game at the rim. So, if we could get our attempts back down to 29.8, we'd be giving up 15.94 FGM/game at the rim, compared to 15.5 last year, for a difference of about 1 point per game.

It's about number of attempts. always has been. the best defensive teams will keep guys out of the paint, and that starts on the perimeter. We have terrible perimeter defenders -> we give up rim FGA.
            Might the number of attempts go up with a shitty shot blocker as opposed to a elite one? I don't know for sure but i would guess yes.

With the current rules in the NBA, its almost impossible to consistently keep these super quick guards in front of you. Why don't you try keeping Chris Paul, Steph Curry, Kyrie Irving, Kemba Walker, John Wall, Russell Westbrook, etc. in front of you.

You can't even hand check anymore.....The rules are what they are.

Now they run pick and rolls constantly, the bigs need to help out, its not only on the guards anymore......You know this!

So you should be able to honestly admit that its not only on the guards, but also how the bigs play defence.

Comment

the LA clippers, the 2nd best defensive team in the NBA by DRTG, are allowing a better % at the rim than we are. Anyone want to argue that they need a new defensive center?

"Wow you're really comparing JV to DeAndre Jordan huh?"

I'm doing the other guys' job for them

Comment

I ALMOST went and recounted but then I realized

You even miscounted this

I'm done here. Thanks KHD
                No idea what your even talking about.....of course you won't say what i miscounted.

For the record, i did write ("I counted manually so don't quote me")

the new king of deflections here....so pathetic

I quickly counted on my mobile device and obviously i said something like 86th out of 115......lol

Comment

"Wow you're really comparing JV to DeAndre Jordan huh?"

I'm doing the other guys' job for them
                  Might DeAndre Jordan's mobility and reputation have anything to do with the smaller attempted field goals at the rim?? Maybe its J.J. Reddick......

Comment

Might the number of attempts go up with a shitty shot blocker as opposed to a elite one? I don't know for sure but i would guess yes.

With the current rules in the NBA, its almost impossible to consistently keep these super quick guards in front of you. Why don't you try keeping Chris Paul, Steph Curry, Kyrie Irving, Kemba Walker, John Wall, Russell Westbrook, etc. in front of you.

You can't even hand check anymore.....The rules are what they are.

Now they run pick and rolls constantly, the bigs need to help out, its not only on the guards anymore......You know this!

So you should be able to honestly admit that its not only on the guards, but also how the bigs play defence.
                    well, the rate of attempts went UP when JV exited games last year, and overall Bismack faced shots at the rim at a higher rate than Valanciunas did, if that's your point.

No doubt every player has some perimeter responsibility these days. but from what we're seeing this year it's not just pick and roll. There are guys walking in to the paint on straight line drives night in night out. Those are the plays that need to be cleaned up on the perimeter by our guards.

Comment

No idea what your even talking about.....of course you won't say what i miscounted.

For the record, i did write ("I counted manually so don't quote me")

the new king of deflections here....so pathetic

I quickly counted on my mobile device and obviously i said something like 86th out of 115......lol
                      Ok let's sit and count together shall we.

1...2....3...... lol. He's 51st. Find me a post where I said JV was elite or even really good. I said he was average and not freaking Enes Kanter level of bad. Christ

Comment

1...2....3...... lol. He's 51st. Find me a post where I said JV was elite or even really good. I said he was average and not freaking Enes Kanter level of bad. Christ
                        you didn't do the special counting, thats why.

Comment

well, the number of attempts went UP when JV exited games last year, and overall Bismack faced shots at the rim at a higher rate than Valanciunas did, if that's your point.

No doubt every player has some perimeter responsibility these days. but from what we're seeing this year it's not just pick and roll. There are guys walking in to the paint on straight line drives night in night out. Those are the plays that need to be cleaned up on the perimeter by our guards.
                          We agree. I think some of us are saying that your "guards try harder" isn't likely going to solve the problem either. The defence is still not good enough.... JV has to be much better at the rim *This year* since he's not getting any faster, Bebe needs to learn how to box out.

Comment

same defenders as last year, perhaps we should go back to last years system

Comment

Hahaha

Did you sort for FG% allowed? Yea.....Now you have egg on your face!

He's actually 85th (I recounted on my laptop) and thats not average!

And that was last year!

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                                same defenders as last year, perhaps we should go back to last years system
                                We also had James Johnson and Norm Powell play more minutes at the SF than Carroll has. Carroll has not helped matters much.

Defensively it seems Scola and Siakam are a wash (which is sad).

Comment

Working...
                                X